Changes vs Essendon (Team in OP. Wells, Phillips & Cox in; Blair, White & Smith out)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is how I see selection going.

Not exactly how I'd go, but what I think will be announced come Thursday:

Out: Crisp (3 out of 4 games below par, needs the wake up call), Blair (God help me if he plays again)

In: Phillips (back from virus), Wells (come in, ping the calf and retire)

Those expecting changes to the backline/forward line setups are kidding themselves. The backline is the only thing that has kept us in games - mess with the back 6 at your own peril.

I think it's worth actually analysing the players suggested to be dropped. FWIW here's my thoughts.

Blair: Tries his guts out. 2 or 3 seasons ago that endeavor probably raised him to AFL standard. Sadly it doesn't anymore. Cannot realistically expect a place in the team.

Crisp: The steak knives have been shown to not be as resilient as one would have hoped. In his defence he did seem to be picking Riewoldt up on the wing and Riewoldt didn't have a major impact. The trouble with Jac is his disposal is pure shite. A man has to know his limitations and Jack's are obvious. Should never choose to switch play or move inboard. If that is the game plan he can't do it. He, therefore, is not up to AFL standard.

Ramsay: In time will become a solid and reliable defender. Right now he thinks he's got the evasion skills of Phil Krakouer. Needs to give the first option. Doesn't. Needs to go back to the 2's and concentrate on giving the first option.

Smith: There's nothing seriously wrong with his game, but he is so vanilla his mistakes tend to be remembered more than his possessions. He has no hurt factor and as such he isn't doing enough off half back.

Maynard: Young, tough. Prone to the odd brain fade, but I think his spot is safe for now. I might be mistaken but it seemed he was playing on the ball in the last 10 minutes or so and it was aggression and animal grunt that started to get the ball going our way.

White: I've thought he's been OK so far this year, but Sunday was awful. White provides no marking target, is beaten consistently in the air by smaller marking targets and gives no help to Darcy Moore. In my opinion, White's position is under threat more so than

Moore: Ok he hasn't been flash, but there have been a couple of games that I've thought he was one clunk away from tearing loose. He get's his hands to the ball often enough and at least is bringing it to ground. Looks better as a lead-up target probably as a CHF. Needs help. A run in the twos may help his confidence, then again it may not.

Goldsack: I think he's been good. He's very quick, works well within the back 6 and is rarely beaten one on one. the only knock on him I think is he has great closing speed, but rarely uses that speed when in possession. Maybe he knows his limitations,

PLAYERS WHO NEED TO LIFT

Fasolo: There's a lot of love the prince on this board, but ask yourself this. Would he get a game for any of the teams in the top 8? I don't think he would. He misses set shots too often, goes missing for long periods and is another who refuses to give the first option.

Treloar: Worst game I've seen him play. Made poor decisions, and had little impact on the game

Sidebottom: Is not impacting games the way he should. Thinks way ahead of other players. Until he develops ESP so he can actually transmit his thoughts to others he would do well to keep it simple.

Adams: We got smashed in the midfield Adams started like a rocket and then faded. I can wear his kicking I think it's on par with most in and under players but he simply has to get first hands to the footy.

Elliott: Hopefully better for the run.

Last edited:
OUT: Blair, White, Crisp, Smith IN: Dunn, Schaz, Wells, Daics/Phillips.

Send Reid forward. If not working swap w Howe.

Give everyone else a kick up the pants.

With degoey they have to stick with the message to him, other wise they will not be able to disapline any one if they change it now

Maynard: Young, tough. Prone to the odd brain fade, but I think his spot is safe for now. I might be mistaken but it seemed he was playing on the ball in the last 10 minutes or so and it was aggression and animal grunt that started to get the ball going our way.

You're pretty spot on with all the players in your post and none more so than with Maynard. He is actually developing and needs to be kept in the side to continue to do so. Throwing him onto the ball, particularly for centre bounces did in fact work, with that aggression being something we just don't normally show in there.

What he needs to do above all else though, is find a right foot. You can't get away with being so one sided in today's footy, particularly if you're going to be in the centre square. His right foot doesn't have to be great, just good enough to use if he has to.

OUT: Blair, White, Crisp, Smith IN: Dunn, Schaz, Wells, Daics/Phillips.

Send Reid forward. If not working swap w Howe.

Give everyone else a kick up the pants.

Agree that Reid needs to play forward.

Out Blair, Crisp, Smith and Broomy.
In Phillips, Daicos, Dunn and Wells.

Part of me wants Broomhead to get a longer run in the ones, but he needs to impact more.

You're pretty spot on with all the players in your post and none more so than with Maynard. He is actually developing and needs to be kept in the side to continue to do so. Throwing him onto the ball, particularly for centre bounces did in fact work, with that aggression being something we just don't normally show in there.

What he needs to do above all else though, is find a right foot. You can't get away with being so one sided in today's footy, particularly if you're going to be in the centre square. His right foot doesn't have to be great, just good enough to use if he has to.

I like Maynard, but his left foot needs improving too.

I think there are some changes that have to happen, it just might take some creative maneuvering to fit them in the team.

First off, Wells must come back. A straight swap for Blair should do the trick. He can play high half forward and on ball to improve our delivery inside 50.

Secondly, Daicos has shown enough. Let's bring him in and give ourselves a good news story to get excited about. I don't want to drop Elliott or Fasolo, so let's swing Varcoe to Josh Smith's half back flank and wing position. He's proven he can play there - in fact, it might be Varcoe's best position.

Moore needs help. I'd swing Reid forward to offer some. We can cover his presence down back with Lynden Dunn, whose VFL form was very strong on Saturday. Reid isn't offering much on the rebound, so a change of scenery could do him some good. Who goes out for him is the big question. White was poor on Sunday but has been our best performed tall forward for the year. I'd actually look at resting Crisp and hoping that Wells and Broomhead combined can pick up his slack.

So all in all,

IN: Wells, Daicos, Dunn
OUT: Blair, Smith, Crisp

B: Goldsack - Dunn - Ramsay
HB: Varcoe - Schade - Howe
C: Sidebottom - Adams - Hoskin-Elliott
HF: Wells - Moore - Fasolo
F: Daicos - Reid - Elliott

R: Grundy - Pendlebury - Treloar

Int: Greenwood - White - Broomhead - Maynard

We'd be looking at bringing Phillips, JDG and Wills in once somebody starts underperforming.

Here we go...
IN: Wells, Dunn, Mayne
OUT: Blair, Crisp, Broomhead

I would prefer Broomy stay in & have a good run of games...however Bucks needs a result.
Other possibilities...Cox for White, Philips back?, Smith out...

We ain't playing finals this year with our current trajectory.
Out: Blair, Crisp, Smith, Ramsay
In: Dunn, Wells, Scharenberg, Phillips

Reid forward, Dunn back. Phillips on the wing, Greenwood up forward for Blair, Wells in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there are some changes that have to happen, it just might take some creative maneuvering to fit them in the team.

First off, Wells must come back. A straight swap for Blair should do the trick. He can play high half forward and on ball to improve our delivery inside 50.

Secondly, Daicos has shown enough. Let's bring him in and give ourselves a good news story to get excited about. I don't want to drop Elliott or Fasolo, so let's swing Varcoe to Josh Smith's half back flank and wing position. He's proven he can play there - in fact, it might be Varcoe's best position.

Moore needs help. I'd swing Reid forward to offer some. We can cover his presence down back with Lynden Dunn, whose VFL form was very strong on Saturday. Reid isn't offering much on the rebound, so a change of scenery could do him some good. Who goes out for him is the big question. White was poor on Sunday but has been our best performed tall forward for the year. I'd actually look at resting Crisp and hoping that Wells and Broomhead combined can pick up his slack.

So all in all,

We'd be looking at bringing Phillips, JDG and Wills in once somebody starts underperforming.

This x10.

Bit hard for Moore to do any worse.

Wish players would have kicked it to Moore instead of Blair on the weekend.

So i wasnt the only one that Blair was our #1 target going forward.

We will kill Moore like we killed Fraser and Cloke. At this point of time, Moore has to be at the most our 2nd best fwd .

Did i read it correctly we had 50 inside fwd 50 for 7 goals, whilst Geelong went in for 15 in the last qtr to score 11 goals ?. That says a lot.

As for ins and outs. It wouldnt matter because Buckley will be out coached again .

I think it's worth actually analysing the players suggested to be dropped. FWIW here's my thoughts.

PLAYERS WHO NEED TO LIFT

Fasolo: There's a lot of love the prince on this board, but ask yourself this. Would he get a game for any of the teams in the top 8? I don't think he would. He misses set shots too often, goes missing for long periods and is another who refuses to give the first option.
100% correct. You forgot the "he is so soft ".

So all in all,

Excellent, balanced side on paper.

So all in all,

I haven't been a fan of moving Reid forward. Purely because he's an AA quality defender. I know he's a decent enough forward, but I still prefer him down back.

Also, why don't we give Dunn a go in the forward line. The bloke can actually kick 50 meters easily. So we don't have to do that chipping bs we tend to do everytime we reach the 50 meter mark. I also feel he would dramatically help Moore. He's quiet vocal from all accounts and could help Moore with positioning. I wouldn't have an issue bringing him in for White.

Wells in for Crisp

Cox in for White

Phillips in for Blair

Dunn in for Ramsay

Goldsack plays forward, he was good as a defensive forward

Thoughts on playing sidebottom as a permanent forward for a few weeks, we know how dangerous he is when played there, we have the midfield depth to cover him?

Reid has to go forward. Give Moore the freedom and flexibility to roam up field. If that fails, then we can think about giving him a spell in the VFL. Give him a chance to show his athleticism first though.

Bring Dunn in the cover at the back and hopefully he'll actually improve things because at the moment Howe and Reid (while both being pretty good this season) have a tendency to fly for the same high balls, basically ending up trying to outmark each other and it sometimes leaves free players at the spill of the ball. Reid has also dropped quite a few marks this season compared to Howe.

Blair is shit; has to go and never return. Nothing against the guy, because he tries hard, but he's not AFL standard. Offers no pressure, can't crumb, butchers the ball and leads into dangerous space that should be reserved for our better forwards. The selection committee has more to answer for than anyone else in regards to this. Complete incompetence.

Fasolo should be persevered with. He's always going to be a low possession, high impact player. Can kick 3-4 goals with a few opportunities. He will also be better with a stronger forward line and less defensive attention. He's missed so many easy shots this season but as far as I can remember this is the only time in his entire career that his kicking has been off. Playing VFL won't help with that. He was shithouse against Richmond but his effort and pressure was much better on Sunday.

Crisp should be dropped. Is offering nothing at the moment. Can't hit a target, has no defensive game and doesn't impact in attack. Bring Wells in.

Sidebottom was horrific on the weekend. One of the worst games I've ever seen from him. His disposal was so poor. I still think his greatest value is in the forward half because he's got the best goal sense of anyone outside Elliot and Fasolo. When I think of Sidey's best games it's when he's on the end of long scoring chains, kicking goals from ten out using his superior running power. He can also snap goals on both feet, which is so valuable these days.

Elliott should say in. He'll take a few weeks but will come good.

We have no alternatives to Maynard and Ramsey so may as well keep them in the team. Besides, they need to learn how to remain composed under immense pressure and I don't see how playing in VFL matches will prepare them for that.

Would bring Daicos in this week. Has composure and skill. Plus, debuting a young player on ANZAC day adds excitement to the day. Even if he doesn't have much of an impact he cannot do any worse than what we have at our disposal now. He will not lose the game by being selected but he could sure as hell help in winning it.

Could we swap White and Howe? Even for a 10 minute period just to see what would happen? This is why Buckley fails.... No plan B.

Reid forward will prove an abject failure, however I'm now resigned to it taking place myself. How anyone expects him to have an impact without spending so much as a session with the forward group over the past 18 months is beyond me, but given the alternative is Cox in it's worth a shot.

Thoughts on playing sidebottom as a permanent forward for a few weeks, we know how dangerous he is when played there, we have the midfield depth to cover him?
I think it's a must - he's clinical in front of goal and kills the opposition with his creative mind and accurate kicks at goal. He's been very ineffective in the midfield so I think a forward role should really be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back