Changes vs Essendon (Team in OP. Wells, Phillips & Cox in; Blair, White & Smith out)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Reid has to go forward - he is struggling back at present anyway. Dunn is the standout at VFL level in terms of performance. Wells is not ready but nothing to lose. Daicos in. Blair, Smith and Crisp out. Varcoe back to cover Smith.

Far out take a risk. Alright reid is a great back but FFS we cannot take a mark forward. Schade to Daniher. Dunn to hooker. Simple.
White goes ok as the 3rd tall but at the moment he is effectively the 1st tall and we all know that does not work. We limit Dons ball movement, smash them around the contest and move it quickly to a 6 or 7 man forward line (whatever it takes to not create an extra defender for Bombers) and we are a fair chance. Reid has only been going ok but this is a must. We just need to give ourselves the best chance of kicking a score. Conversely we go small ball and push Moore to high half forward where he can run back with the flight of the ball or from the opposing side of the entry and get an unencumbered run and jump at it. Fasolo, WHE, Elliot, Sidey, White are going to at least halve the contest and have shown an ability to win their own ball at ground level. Kick the bloody thing in there hard and flat. Try something novel.

Dunn is capable of filling Reids role in defence which allows Reid (the better forward of the 2) to go fwd and give us a genuine option to kick to.

Dunn is not the spud many are pretending he is.

He has a disposal to rival Reids, he is solid defensively and an experienced head. Good match up for Hooker.

In: Dunn Wells Scharenberg

Out: Blair Crisp Smith

Last edited:
He is this year IMO.
You mention in the vfl thread that Dunn is like a coach on the ground, would he be able to organise us in the forward area, cause it needs it

Stopped watching at 3QT on Sunday, so may have missed something relevant, but think it's time to move on from some and roll some dice on kicking more goals:

Schade Dunn Ramsay
Maynard Howe Adams

Phillips Pendlebury Hoskin-Elliot
Grundy Treloar Greenwood

Sidebottom Moore Elliott
White Reid Daicos

Wells Varcoe Broomhead Fasolo

IN:
Daicos Wells Dunn Phillips
OUT:
Blair Crisp Goldsack Smith
Goldsack has been fantastic. He stays.

You mention in the vfl thread that Dunn is like a coach on the ground, would he be able to organise us in the forward area, cause it needs it

Exactly left at home..........like I said I sat next to our bench.

He was so vocal on the ground and more so on the bench before he went back on. It actually surprised me.
It was great to see to be honest.

People forget he started as a forward.........he had 31 possessions in a game we should have lost.

Moore needs him now........he is not a long term solution but he is 5 times better than Jesse at the moment.

Dunn is capable of filling Reids role in defence which allows Reid (the better forward of the 2) to go fwd and give us a genuine option to kick to.

Dunn is not the spud many are pretending he is.

He has a disposal to rival Reids, he is solid defensively and an experienced head. Good match up for Hooker.

In: Dunn Wells Scharenberg

Out: Blair Crisp Smith
100% agree with this.

F*** me crisp and smith have been absolute turnover merchants

Exactly left at home..........like I said I sat next to our bench.

He was so vocal on the ground and more so on the bench before he went back on. It actually surprised me.
It was great to see to be honest.

People forget he started as a forward.........he had 31 possessions in a game we should have lost.

Moore needs him now........he is not a long term solution but he is 5 times better than Jesse at the moment.
To me watching from afar he was bog on sat, but we also need some physical presence up forward, and we don't need him to be a match winner, but to organise it .
With Jessie l get where you are coming from. I would start him on the bench to relieve grundy and spell Darcy and who lines up there as a tall forward.
But we need some one who can teach, be a leader and a presence forward

Last edited:
To me watching from afar he was bog on sat, but we also need some visical presence up forward, and we don't need him to be a match winner, but to organise it .
With Jessie l get where you are coming from. I would start him on the bench to relieve grundy and spell Darcy and who lines up there as a tall forward.
But we need some one who can teach, be a leader and a presence forward

Moore doesn't get dropped IMO ever.............but he needs guidance on the field.

I am convinced Dunn will do that...........must be played Anzacday.

Also Scharanberg's time has arrived..........short term pain..........long term gain!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why there is such angst against Smith. He is travelling better than a lot of his team mates,
He is averaging 19 possessions, 4 contested possessions; 0 turnovers resulting in goals (every other player in back 6 has a minimum of 2); 7 marks; 3 tackles and 3 rebound 50's per game and his direct opponents have kicked 2 goals on him.

Moore doesn't get dropped IMO ever.............but he needs guidance on the field.

I am convinced Dunn will do that...........must be played Anzacday.

Also Scharanberg's time has arrived..........short term pain..........long term gain!
Personally l would give shaz another week or two in the vfl, but was impressed with his last two quarters
I don't get the playing back for Darcy as when he has he plays like prestie
I would play Darcy at chf more room closer to the action and dunny at ff

I don't know why there is such angst against Smith. He is travelling better than a lot of his team mates,
He is averaging 19 possessions, 4 contested possessions; 0 turnovers resulting in goals (every other player in back 6 has a minimum of 2); 7 marks; 3 tackles and 3 rebound 50's per game and his direct opponents have kicked 2 goals on him.
Is the turnover stat up to date? because I saw him shit his pants and handball to a St Kilda player in our defensive goal square, for a goal, yesterday.

Finally feel like posting.

Gotta make changes to address the issues we're seeing. Whilst our forward line is under a lot of scrutiny, I feel like the major problems lie further down the ground which means that supply going forward is shocking in terms of quality.

We are incredibly stagnant across half back and struggle to move the ball with any flow. Our switches are slow and go nowhere. Our ball movement through the middle is always congested and rushed, and we struggle to find any space to use the ball in. I think that a lot of this stems from our half backs - they don't offer any run or generate any offensive play, with the exception of Maynard on the odd occasion. We need a half back that can damage the opponent with his speed and/or foot skills.

Wells in for Smith.
Scharenberg in for Ramsay.

When our play stagnates at half back we have no get out kicks outside of Darcy Moore and Grundy. We also struggle moving forward because we have too few viable marking options for our smalls to crumb off and for our mids to look for. White hasn't offered much the last couple of weeks and I don't think we can look forward and expect him to be a big part of our next premiership.

Cox in for White.

Lastly, we turn the ball over so heavily through the centre and just lack class through there in terms of ball use. Several players have been awful in this regard and I think that we need to bring in some clean hands to sure up our movement. I think we also struggle to spread effectively once we win possession and this worsens the situation as we are constantly trying to move the ball through heavy traffic. We need foot speed to break open congestion more effectively. The changes to make here are less clear cut I think.

Aish in for Crisp.
Daicos in for Blair.

Goldsack has been fantastic. He stays.

Yeah...dunno about fantastic.. but I reckon he stays. Smith is the one that troubles me, short, light, not terribly quick and prone to clangers. Maybe the Wells for Smith lobby is right. Phillips for Blair or I burn my knitted jumper with Len Thompson's number on it....no longer fits anyway. Crisp...one more week..

If Blair gets a gig this week, the coaching staff are well and truly extracting the urine. If wells plays it's only a 5 day break till the Geelong game and may not come up.

Dunne kicks the pill better than Reid and can do a good job as a shut down defender. As Rohan Connelly said today-in 2015 Dunne was in All Australian contention. He is not rubbish as some seem to infer here. If a system is not working why the hell would you keep doing the same bloody thing? Do you want to keep our losses honourable? How about we approach a game with an aggressive, positive mindset and try to create a forward half that can kick a winning score from the countless opportunities presented by our prolific midfield?

Well we'll clearly have to agree to disagree on Dunn, and for the record other than the term "champion", "was in All- Australian contention" is the most loosely bandied around phrase in football so I rarely give much credence to it. Dunn is average at best and always has been, and it could only be sheer desperation at this stage that is making Magpie fans think otherwise. Not to mention he's pushing 30. As for moving Howe or Reid forward, there is nothing to say we cant try it, I just don't think it will work week to week and/or clearly isn't the answer long term and will only hinder our backline, hence why I provided another alternative as to what we can do such as replacing White with Cox and moving Moore up the ground.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to be aware of the opposition we are playing when we suggest changes to our line up.

Essendon's forward line consists of 3 small, quick players (Fantasia, Colyer, and Tipungwati), and two talls (Daniher & Hooker). Schade & Reid to take the talls, and we need Maynard (on Tipungwati), Adams (on Fantasia) and Varcoe (on Colyer). This gives us good small defenders that we also use for a bit of run out of the backline. Howe takes their 3rd medium/tall forward.
This means Ramsay and Smith go out. There is no match-up for Schaz, so he does not get a berth this week.

Wells comes in on one wing, and Phillips comes in on a HFF (to effectively make Goddard accountable on the HB line, which they use for their run out of the backline).
Crisp to play in the centre, on a "run-with" role on Watson.

Bring in Cox to expose the Don's lack of height in their backline (in place of Blair). Play 3 talls (Moore CHF, White FF and Cox (Pocket). Elliott & Faz to be the small forwards. This gives us tall targets to kick to if options of Faz and Elliott are covered.

B: Maynard, Schade, Howe
HB: Adams, Reid, Varcoe

C: Wells, Crisp, Sidey
Mid: Grundy, Pendles, Treloar

HF: Fasolo, Moore, Phillips
F: Elliott, White, Cox

Int: Greenwood, Broomhead, WHE, Goldy.

(In: Wells, Phillips, Cox. Out: Smith, Ramsay, Blair).

Imo, we drop Crisp for Wells. I think he just needs go back to the the VFL and get his confidence back up. He was probably our worst kick on Sunday.

I think we drop White for Cox. We just need physical presence in the forward line. So many times we tried the get out of jail kick and it always ended up in a Saints players hand.

Ideally, I would like to drop Moore too. But his last name protects him like penicillin during a plague.

I believe we drop blair because 0-3. We play Howe as a forward. It's not what's good for him, it's what good for the bloody team. We bring schaz in.

Josh smith and Fasolo are on the last strings imo. Smith plays one more bad game, and I wouldn't hesitate to drop him.
Fasolo plays crap this week, he's out. Bring young Daicos in, at least he knows how to tackle.

Why isn't anyone mentioning Rupert Wills?

He might need another game in the VFL to get his fitness up but after that he comes in and he stays in. Tackling and clearance machine.

He plays instead of Phillips coming back in. I am not a massive fan Phillips as well to be honest. I don't give a crap how many touches he averages.

He isn't a great user of the ball and we have a lot of mids that do what he does but we don't have many guys who tackle after tackle.

I've had a slight change in mind of the changes for ANZAC Day. These four changes are a must.

In: Wells, Wills, Mayne and Dunn
Out: Crisp, Blair, Moore and Smith

We don't put Reid or Howe up forward, that would be really silly. They are backmen, that's where they need to stay and we need them there. Dunn has proven himself kicking goals. I think he will do good up forward but I would much rather him playing Smiths role.

I would go with a forward line like this

Sidebottom -White- Hoskin Elliot
Elliot- Mayne- Fasolo

I wish but I don't think Scharenberg will be brought in for Ramsey. Ramsey will probably get one more chance and that is due to being out for a while and his pace. I can understand that but if those four ins don't all play this week and those four outs don't all go out, I will be shattered.

There has to be changes to this team and its minimum four. I know people don't want to make a lot of changes but it has to be done. Crisp, Blair, Moore and Smith simply do not deserve to play on Anzac Day. You just cannot play like that and expect to get a game with pretty much the whole list being available for selection.

Never thought I would want Dunn getting a game for us. That's how low this club has sunk so quickly. Bloody Jordan Russell and Simon Buckley would be getting a game in our backline.

We have guys who played in the VFL on Saturday who simply should be in the seniors, e.g. Schazza. Enough with waiting and hoping he is ready, he needs to play senior footy, and lots of it. There will be games when he goes missing, and calls to drop him back, but if we aren't playing finals then we must persist. He is a quality footballer.

JDG and Wells go without saying.

Can we find a place for Dunn? He is a hardened and serviceable AFL footballer, and an onfield leader. We need him in the team, although our defence is performing well - comparatively.

Daicos will debut this year, probably soon. He makes plays and when he gets the ball, something good happens. He's going alright for an 18 year old kid.:)

The players to make way include Crisp, Smith, Blair...and I've no idea who else and how to rearrange the deck chairs. I usually argue for consistency in the side from week to week, to build chemistry. But the latter isn't happening and we are shooting ourselves in the foot with this much quality running around in the twos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back