Preview Changes vs. Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the bomber line up from round 19, why would we bring in N.brown. I mean look at their fwd line he really doesnt have a matchup, Hille may or may not be suspended. So Presti v Neagle seems like the big man matchup and what else do they have? hardingham, pretty sure goldy or maxy can manage him without to much fuss. Remember we've been playing with 7 backs for the last few games, and with the option on Leroy going back as well.
I say we bring in McCarthy and Medders for Ball and Reid, with the possibility of a Round/tarks for a tired Sidebottom.

Btw the Dons lineup for last week was:

B: Heath Hocking, Dustin Fletcher, Courtenay Dempsey
HB: Mark McVeigh, Michael Hurley, Cale Hooker
C: David Zaharakis, Jobe Watson, Brent Stanton
HF: Kyle Hardingham, Jay Neagle, Travis Colyer
F: Angus Monfries, David Hille, Alwyn Davey
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Bachar Houli, Ben Howlett
I/C: Kyle Reimers, Sam Lonergan, Jason Winderlich, Brent Prismall

What about giving Jolly a rest and one more midfield player in addition to those you've mentioned. It's not a bad to give a couple a break before the finals.

What about Josh Thomas? This must be the first time in a while a first year player hasn't been blooded. I like what I hear about his style. Has he been playing well enough?

What about Josh Thomas? This must be the first time in a while a first year player hasn't been blooded. I like what I hear about his style. Has he been playing well enough?

He's been good mate. Hits the packs like Luke Ball and has a boot on him like Beamer. I think it's too late for him to have an impact this year but will be blooded next year.
Just out of interest, who would you have him replace? It's a mighty tough midfield to break into and Blairy should have first dibs.

Out - Davis
In - Medhurst

Congratulations on your terrific victory on Saturday night.

Davis for Medhurst is definitely the only change based on form that needs to be made. From my position as a guest in the Collingwood members (quite an experience!) I'd say Davis was the only opposition player I didn't rate.

It's always tempting to keep gun players in the team, just in case they make a difference in big contests.

But Saturday night was a big contest and you guys didn't need him.

Congratulations on your terrific victory on Saturday night.

Davis for Medhurst is definitely the only change based on form that needs to be made. From my position as a guest in the Collingwood members (quite an experience!) I'd say Davis was the only opposition player I didn't rate.

It's always tempting to keep gun players in the team, just in case they make a difference in big contests.

But Saturday night was a big contest and you guys didn't need him.

I think he was used in the wrong way by the coaching staff as well. In the second half there was quite a few times where he was one out with hunt in the goal square and we bombed it long into him. Considering Hunts size advantage this was never going to work. He needs to be front and square like the majority of other small forwards in the competition.

He's been good mate. Hits the packs like Luke Ball and has a boot on him like Beamer. I think it's too late for him to have an impact this year but will be blooded next year.
Just out of interest, who would you have him replace? It's a mighty tough midfield to break into and Blairy should have first dibs.
IMO it shouldn't be purely about form. They should be playing well in the VFL yes, but it's also about what they bring to the table. Blair is good inside, and is very nuggety and tough, but isn't particularly quick for his size or good on the outside. Whereas Thomas it seems brings a lot of those intagibles with excellent speed and ability to break away on the outside.

Therefore I'd pick him purely on the fact that he's been playing well (even if not dominating) and brings those skills that could help us improve our speed in the midfield even further, while not dropping off on our pressure game.

If he was to be picked it would be more to replace someone like Sidebottom who has been mooted as getting a rest for a week.

Leroy - Fraser: Leigh will get a week and Fraser should play his 200th in black and white MM has said as much this is the chance. played his only good game for the year ANZAC day this year.

Ball - Blair: Ball clearly needs a rest and Blair was very unlucky to be dropped.

Reid - McCarthy: Left field but McCarthy has been good in the VFL and is a quality player. Won't be in the finals 22 but should be given a couple weeks so that he is ready to go at AFL level if called upon. We don't need another defender to replace Reid given the defence held up without him against Geelong. We played 7 defenders in the line up with Heath coming in at the expense of Blair so this just takes us back to 6.

Sidebottom - Medhurst: Sidebottom has had minimal impact on games for a long time, hasn't been poor but hasn't really been important in any games. Medhurst is a proven match winner. I think Sidebottom needs at least a rest anyway so this move makes sense for mine.

It doesn't look good making 4 changes to a winning side but in fairness 2 of them are forced and at least one for the greater good (Ball) Medhurst could possibly come in for Reid even with McCarthy left out.

Like your list there ST. On last weeks form you'd have Wood as the replacement for leroy over Fraser, but not likely. Fraser will get his 200th.

If Shaw needs a rest for his back, I'd bring in Rambo or even Buckley.

Leigh Brown, Collingwood, has been charged with a level one tripping offence against Matthew Stokes, Geelong Cats, during the second quarter of the round 19 match between Collingwood and the Geelong Cats, played at the MCG on Saturday August 7, 2010.

In summary, due to a five-year good record, he can accept a reprimand and 45 points towards his future record with an early plea.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/99991/default.aspx

So Leroy is in the clear; could have an impact on whether Josh get in.

Brown is the obvious replacement for Reid but we don't need another tall back. Time to give Josh his 200th and then retire him.

Other than that, I think we should play Medhust. If he can somehow find form and confidence he could be a real bonus in September. Maybe rest Ball and save the groins. Blair is a bit stiff but realistically he wouldn't be on my finals list. Finals are full of hard luck stories.

It unsettled my team massively last year when too many players were rested at once as did the weeks break before the prelim although the latter is still a nice problem to have,. Unless they are sore theres no way i would rest the top 3 (Swan, Didak, Pendles) who are in best form of their careers in round 20.Id slot dids in the forward line if anything as he looks so dangerous up there he assists so many and could boot a bag full. Ball's a different story as he looks sore to me and i still follow him which is why I am probly on the Coll FC site, Hope he does well in sept just not against us:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think, give Jolly a rest and bring in Fraser for his 200th.

Give Steele a rest and bring in Medhurst to get him ready for the finals. BTW Im NOT saying dropping Steele for good, just think he needs a week off ready to smash the finals.

Reid out Brown in.

Out: Sidey, Reid
In: McCarthy, Rambo

I'd only do that if Sidey actually needed a rest though, if he is right to go I'd let him front the Bombers again and just do McCarthy for Reid. We can probably get away with just Presti and Goldy/Maxwell/Lethal for the tall timber.

Perfect game to get into McCarthy if he is to make any impact come finals, which I still think is possible.

Out: Reid
In: McCarthy

I don't think we really need Brown this week. Possibly Adelaide. Definitely Hawthorn (assuming Reid isn't back). There is still a fairly high chance he'll be selected.

From reports, McCarthy has been the stand out in the last few weeks of the VFL. MM clearly rates him and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he comes in . Can play forward and be another midfield rotation. Would be nice to have another young bloke who could step up come finals if need be.

Out: Reid & Leon
In: N.Brown & Medhurst

Leon was really the only one that had no impact on saturday night, i love the guy but he needs to go.

Medhurst is due for the recall and has that classy touch/x-factor.

Lockyer is finished, drops too many marks for my liking!

I suppose if anyone has pulled up sore, and on a 6 day turn around, this is the perfect game to rest a few players. Keep in mind all senior players are having a break away from the club after Friday, it should only be if necessary.

In: Brown, Medhurst
Out: Reid, Ball (rest, he looked gone in that last quarter!)

However there could be others...

Take it to the Macaffer/Reid board please and spare the rest of us :thumbsu:

Located after the toovey, Maxwell board and before the daisy is soft sub forum and presti os an injured hack circa 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs. Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back