Preview Changes vs. Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Definately NOT FRASER FOR ANYONE EXCEPT JOLLY
Bringing him in for Reid? We have Presti, Shaw, Maxwell, Toovey, Goldsack, O'Brien, Johnson in our backline...why would u want to bring in Fraser to replace a defender?
We also have a very well structured forward line at the moment. Where is he going to play? As second ruckman? Blasphamy

I don't get why the same people who give him shit everytime he plays, still want him to play? Weren't we all in agreeance that we would rather have a carbon rod on the field instead of Fraser?

I'm sick of hearing "oh just give him his 200th game". No offence Josh, but **** his 200th game. If he deserved it then he would have played it already.

/Rant

More to the point, OUT: Leon IN: Medhurst. Yer pressure is good from Leon, but he wouldn't need to put on so much pressure if he kicked some goals.

I have a feeling Reid will pull up ok, but if not then swap him for one of Blair or Browny.

This is just ridiculous.

What do we have depth for if we're not going to use it for fear that a player who comes in might play well enough to displace the incumbent? If Bad is good enough to keep his spot he will keep it and I think we all know he is good enough at the moment.

Nobody is saying that Leroy should be dropped anyway, just that he is the best replacement for Reid. Fraser is easily the best 3rd ruck in the comp and still valuable for us if something happens to Jolly or Brown pre-finals. We don't want him coming in having not played for months. Reid's injury is the best chance we have to give him a little taster of senior footy against a team he has dominated against lately.

Clearly you didnt read what i highlighted, go back and have another look because it isnt ridiculous to assume he isnt best 22 because he isnt. and i would rather see Brown in before Fraser any day of the week

How is he the best replacement for Reid? He does not play Defence let alone CHB and never will

So to your point what happens if presti goes down or Reid is a injury during finals? is Fraser still the best option? Or is it N. Brown?

Thats like saying obree should come in as well for a run before finals

Fraser has yet to play a great game this season when the pressure is on and if he is only a 3rd ruckman as you claim then with any luck he wont have to play finals either

At present we have an injury to one of our backman, where it is only logical that he is replaced with another backman in Nathan Brown

Clearly you didnt read what i highlighted, go back and have another look because it isnt ridiculous to assume he isnt best 22 because he isnt. and i would rather see Brown in before Fraser any day of the week

How is he the best replacement for Reid? He does not play Defence let alone CHB and never will

So to your point what happens if presti goes down or Reid is a injury during finals? is Fraser still the best option? Or is it N. Brown?

Thats like saying obree should come in as well for a run before finals

Fraser has yet to play a great game this season when the pressure is on and if he is only a 3rd ruckman as you claim then with any luck he wont have to play finals either

At present we have an injury to one of our backman, where it is only logical that he is replaced with another backman in Nathan Brown

Fraser won't be replacing Reid, who said that?? Leroy will be replacing Reid and Fraser will play as backup ruck. Leroy is our best replacement for Reid and that's what he said.

In answer to your question as to who would replace Presti, it would be N Brown unquestionably. N Brown doesn't read the drop of the ball as well as Leroy, nowhere near as well as Reid and isn't suited to a mobile CHB position. I don't like the idea of having Presti and Nathan Brown in the same team, it's too lumbering for my liking.

We don't need to get gametime into Nathan Brown in any case, he played only a couple of weeks ago. Fraser could be important for us if one of Jolly or Leroy go down so personally I would like to see him play before finals. He hasn't played since round 12. The only other player I'd like to get a game or 2 into before finals is Meds. He could play a big role I think.

In response to your other comment that this is like bringing O'Bree in for a run before finals as he is nowhere near best 22 anymore. Fraser is next cab off the rank in his position.

In answer to your question as to who would replace Presti, it would be N Brown unquestionably. N Brown doesn't read the drop of the ball as well as Leroy, nowhere near as well as Reid and isn't suited to a mobile CHB position. I don't like the idea of having Presti and Nathan Brown in the same team, it's too lumbering for my liking.

We don't need to get gametime into Nathan Brown in any case, he played only a couple of weeks ago. Fraser could be important for us if one of Jolly or Leroy go down so personally I would like to see him play before finals. He hasn't played since round 12. The only other player I'd like to get a game or 2 into before finals is Meds. He could play a big role I think.

In response to your other comment that this is like bringing O'Bree in for a run before finals as he is nowhere near best 22 anymore. Fraser is next cab off the rank in his position.

If this were any other opposition it would have to be Brown in for Reid to match up on the tall forwards. And N. Brown has played CHB a fair bit in his career with Presti so he can play that role. I agree ideally he should play FB but i would rather him in the side if Reid is down

I know what you mean if one of Jolly or Leroy goes down, Fraser is in, but i personally dont see the point i going into a game against a quick running team with Fraser as well as Jolly, Leroy, Presti, not to mention Trav and Dawes.

Further, i dont want to see Jolly or leroy out of the team, theyve got form and momentum and as a team there is a balance there thats better than it has been in years and i for one dont want to screw with it. I agree with your call on medders though because i think he can play a massive part in september if hes picked. Fraser in his recent games has been a bit of a liability

I respect what your saying and all but I think right now isnt a time to be screwing around with a well balanced team that is playing the best footy it has in years.

Definately NOT FRASER FOR ANYONE EXCEPT JOLLY
Bringing him in for Reid? We have Presti, Shaw, Maxwell, Toovey, Goldsack, O'Brien, Johnson in our backline...why would u want to bring in Fraser to replace a defender?
We also have a very well structured forward line at the moment. Where is he going to play? As second ruckman? Blasphamy

He wouldnt be replacing Reid in playing CHB or in defence, he would be backup ruck to Jolly with Brown moving to defence.

Id rather not mess with the Jolly/Brown combo but this could be Frasers only chance to break into the team.

Fraser can come in I believe before the finals maybe not this week, we win this week it will be hard for us to lose top spot and once that is done players some players might get the next game off with the goal having a full strength team in for the final game

Brown I think will get a rest and Jolly might as well

Sorry mate, i'll improve my spelling for you next time :)

It was a genuine question.

I thought you might have been saying we are defiant about Josh playing again for the club, which wouldn't really sit right with a lot of supporters because it isn't necessarily true.

He definitely isn't best 22 though, I didn't even think he was at the start of the year, but that's a bit off topic.

I respect what your saying and all but I think right now isnt a time to be screwing around with a well balanced team that is playing the best footy it has in years.

That's exactly why I want to see Fraser in. Personally I think our major strengths are our deep batting midfield and our defensive structures (right up the ground, not necessarily just our defenders). These structures absolutely bamboozled Geelong on the weekend and they did the same to St Kilda two weeks before that.

Reid's ability to defend as well as provide chop-out is a key component of that. His mobility means that he doesn't necessarily have to have an ideal defensive match-up to play a major role. What I mean by this is that his position in the team isn't dictated by match-ups and that's why I think our defense which has always been strong under Malthouse has gone to a level I've never seen before this season. Before we had players coming in and out of the side who would play based on match-ups but our current "structure" is not just settled in shape but also in personnel who are versatile enough as a group to adapt to the opposition without changes having to be made to the side.

Most of the suggested changes to the side for this week are for a midfielder (mostly Blair, some saying McCarthy) or a forward (Meds the unanimous selection) to come in for Reid. This will inherently change our defensive shape or mean that L Brown will have to go back instead of forward when their rucks move forward. This therefore changes our forward line (less stand in from Leroy), our ruck division (longer shifts for Jolly 3 weeks before finals if we struggle defensively because Leroy is needed back there) and our backline (1 less tall, shape change). We will also have the added problem of having to re-adjust our shape when Reid comes back and if that's not for 2 or 3 weeks, this could be destabilising on the eve of finals.

If Fraser comes in as a backup ruckman he also has the ability to play as a forward (not as well as Leroy obviously) so there is no fundamental structural change. L Brown would move straight into Reid's position which he is experienced and adaptable enough to fill and nothing changes. Another added bonus to all of this is that Fraser will not come into the team "cold" in finals if he is needed due to injury.

Bringing in a ruck this week will cause the smallest change to our overall team structure if Reid needs to be replaced. As I said before, N Brown is one of those IN/OUT players who comes in depending on match-ups as he isn't agile/versatile/adaptable enough to play a loose role. He is very reactionary and often behind the play and Reid's role is generally a pro-active one where he runs off his opponent, gets to the ball first and starts counter attacks. In my opinion Rambo is an excellent FB prospect or CHB player if he has a set opponent all the time but his role will be very different to Reid's if he replaced him directly. As I said, I want to keep the shape/structure of the team the same because in recent years it has changed every week and fallen apart in finals. This year, the year we have gone to another level, continuity has gradually crept in throughout the season and IMO that should not change now.

Fraser
Quick question what is the father son rule with regards to game is played

and the number is 200 (or is changed to 200 in the future) does this come into a reason to play him (as he wont be here next year)

We supporters would be mighty pissed off if he has a gun of son and we miss out by one game

I hope he gets another game as he has been a loyal player for our club and deserves to play 200 for the one club

That's exactly why I want to see Fraser in. Personally I think our major strengths are our deep batting midfield and our defensive structures (right up the ground, not necessarily just our defenders). These structures absolutely bamboozled Geelong on the weekend and they did the same to St Kilda two weeks before that.

Reid's ability to defend as well as provide chop-out is a key component of that. His mobility means that he doesn't necessarily have to have an ideal defensive match-up to play a major role. What I mean by this is that his position in the team isn't dictated by match-ups and that's why I think our defense which has always been strong under Malthouse has gone to a level I've never seen before this season. Before we had players coming in and out of the side who would play based on match-ups but our current "structure" is not just settled in shape but also in personnel who are versatile enough as a group to adapt to the opposition without changes having to be made to the side.

Most of the suggested changes to the side for this week are for a midfielder (mostly Blair, some saying McCarthy) or a forward (Meds the unanimous selection) to come in for Reid. This will inherently change our defensive shape or mean that L Brown will have to go back instead of forward when their rucks move forward. This therefore changes our forward line (less stand in from Leroy), our ruck division (longer shifts for Jolly 3 weeks before finals if we struggle defensively because Leroy is needed back there) and our backline (1 less tall, shape change). We will also have the added problem of having to re-adjust our shape when Reid comes back and if that's not for 2 or 3 weeks, this could be destabilising on the eve of finals.

If Fraser comes in as a backup ruckman he also has the ability to play as a forward (not as well as Leroy obviously) so there is no fundamental structural change. L Brown would move straight into Reid's position which he is experienced and adaptable enough to fill and nothing changes. Another added bonus to all of this is that Fraser will not come into the team "cold" in finals if he is needed due to injury.

Bringing in a ruck this week will cause the smallest change to our overall team structure if Reid needs to be replaced. As I said before, N Brown is one of those IN/OUT players who comes in depending on match-ups as he isn't agile/versatile/adaptable enough to play a loose role. He is very reactionary and often behind the play and Reid's role is generally a pro-active one where he runs off his opponent, gets to the ball first and starts counter attacks. In my opinion Rambo is an excellent FB prospect or CHB player if he has a set opponent all the time but his role will be very different to Reid's if he replaced him directly. As I said, I want to keep the shape/structure of the team the same because in recent years it has changed every week and fallen apart in finals. This year, the year we have gone to another level, continuity has gradually crept in throughout the season and IMO that should not change now.

I'm just wondering if you've watched Fraser play recently?
I'd rather see a bottle of lemon pledge line up in the ruck before Josh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Collingwood Twitter

Training update: Medhurst, Buckley, Fraser, Lockyer, N. Brown and Blair all trained with the main group this morning.

and
Anthony trained with the VFL group, , as well as a host of other Magpies (O'Bree, McCarthy, Wood, Barham)

I wouldn't be surprised to see you rest some players before finals, could see Presti and/or Fraser getting a hit-out just to knock the rust off.

We've got Fletcher & Davey injured, two of the few who've really had decent seasons; and there will be a couple of debutantes (Carlisle, quick tall forward, Crameri mid-sized back flanker) amongst the 'ins'
Make of that what you will, but this won't be the strongest line-up we've ever put out.

Fraser is no chance to play. He has been sulking since he got dropped, told to change his attitude but that hasn't occured. If lucky, Port or GC will take him.

From Collingwood Twitter

Training update: Medhurst, Buckley, Fraser, Lockyer, N. Brown and Blair all trained with the main group this morning.

and
Anthony trained with the VFL group, , as well as a host of other Magpies (O'Bree, McCarthy, Wood, Barham)

Doesn't mean too much, Malthouse could still pick from either group, and sometimes I feel he uses training with the main group as a bit of a reward or extra incentive for players who are on the verge.
However I have a feeling that Medders is an absolute certainty to play, though I wouldn't be too surprised if Buckley/Blair came in either, considering JB's performance in the seniors of late, and Bucks having had a fair decent game in the two's on the wkend, either could be handy inclusions. We know Bucks can play that half back role, but I doubt he could be a replacement for Reid at CHB.
I dunno guys, but I just have that feeling that there will be about 3 changes this week. Maybe Presti out just due to the ol' horses 'f' courses dealy, there isn't really any pressing need for a shutdown role this week.

I'm just wondering if you've watched Fraser play recently?
I'd rather see a bottle of lemon pledge line up in the ruck before Josh.

Medhurst has had a poor season.
Lockyer has lost pace and struggles to keep up with the game.
Blair has contributed but is hardly a vital cog in the team or our only midfield option to come in.
McCarthy has been an absolutely terrible player at senior level.
Fraser has had a poor season.
Anthony's played 1 senior game in his career as a backman.
N Brown is a good player but he is always behind the play. Not proactive enough to play Reid's role, he is Presti's understudy.

He's clearly not alone in terms of having a poor season but of that bunch I think the only viable options for finals are Med and Fraser. Med could play a big role in the finals and Fraser will have to if one of Jolly or Leroy go down.

It's not as if Fraser is as pathetic as people make out. I don't like him but it seems like it's fashionable to bag him but noone else. He's not the only person not in the team and the players out of the team aren't good enough right now. It doesn't mean we never use them at the expense of team structure though.

Medhurst has had a poor season.
Lockyer has lost pace and struggles to keep up with the game.
Blair has contributed but is hardly a vital cog in the team or our only midfield option to come in.
McCarthy has been an absolutely terrible player at senior level.
Fraser has had a poor season.
Anthony's played 1 senior game in his career as a backman.
N Brown is a good player but he is always behind the play. Not proactive enough to play Reid's role, he is Presti's understudy.

He's clearly not alone in terms of having a poor season but of that bunch I think the only viable options for finals are Med and Fraser. Med could play a big role in the finals and Fraser will have to if one of Jolly or Leroy go down.

It's not as if Fraser is as pathetic as people make out. I don't like him but it seems like it's fashionable to bag him but noone else. He's not the only person not in the team and the players out of the team aren't good enough right now. It doesn't mean we never use them at the expense of team structure though.

Fraser has had one poor season?
Get off the crack mate... He's been useless for years!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back