Preview Changes vs. Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

fair enough he has the talent but he is nearly in the rusling boat.
Plenty ahead of mccarthy.. blair. medhurst and tarks should be getting a game to strengthen the team before him.
Maybe next year.. we have to much depth compared to last year when he got his chance against the saints in the qual final.
Could be wrong.. but i can't see it.

Reid won't play. Why even bother to risk him when honestly we don't even need him against Essendon. Bring in a midfielder, ramp up those rotations, and expose the Bombers where they're at their worst.

fair enough he has the talent but he is nearly in the rusling boat.

He isn't even 21 yet, get serious please. He has obviously had hamstring issues in the past, but he is flying at the moment on the back of the club taking an extremely conservative approach with his recovery this time round. Also from memory he has never even had to go under the knife for any of his injuries, so keep hysterical calls in context.

Plenty ahead of mccarthy.. blair. medhurst and tarks should be getting a game to strengthen the team before him.

Your opinion, I'd disagree somewhat. Like I said, and this will be much to a lot of people's dismay, I'd be absolutely astonished if Blair played any further part in our seniors campaign, not so if McCarthy did. That's a personal inclination though, based off where they are both at respectively in terms of maturity and development, and also MM's opinion on Jmac in particular who he has clearly ticketed him as being someone who can play in high pressure games/finals.
Malthouse pulled one out of the hat bringing Blair in though (at a point when a few others would clearly have strengthened the team more so than him) and everyone praised him for the decision and the extra depth it added. I see absolutely no reason why he would shy away from doing it again with McCarthy now in a game that we will go into as overwhelming favourites.

I'm not disputing Tarks and Medders would be ahead if you were selecting the side for the GF tomorrow, but we aren't, it's virtually a dead rubber game. If it was do or die, you'd go with Tarks, but we haven't been selecting our absolute best 22 all year, so I'd imagine McCarthy could easily be selected ahead of both as it stands at the moment. Especially taking into account that Medhurst is quite clearly out of favour, and with fair reason in my opinion.

Could be wrong.. but i can't see it.

I'd venture to guess that's because you've only seen him in his very limited appearances in the AFL, most of which he was probably rushed back too quickly (which may well be the case if he was brought back now, but it's worth determining pre-finals in a game we won't lose).

McCarthy will play 100+ games for this club injury aside, more than welcome to bookmark that comment if anyone so wishes. I'm extremely confident of his long term viability at AFL level and I think the club is too.

Reid won't play. Why even bother to risk him when honestly we don't even need him against Essendon. Bring in a midfielder, ramp up those rotations, and expose the Bombers where they're at their worst.

Personally I think Fraser should come in this week for Reid and not a midfielder. Fraser would then play as a back-up to Jolly and part time forward allowing Bad to go into Reid's position.

Personnel can change from this point forward but the structure should remain the same until finals and only change if mathchups absolutely necessitate it. Our backline structure has hit stupidly good form lately and I don't want to change its shape right now. If Reid end's up missing 3, I don't want to be changing the shape of the team going into the first final.

Buckley said the same thing about the forward line a few weeks ago; that there are set roles and the personnel change but the structures don't. It's even more important that this consistency happens in the backline.

Personally I think Fraser should come in this week for Reid and not a midfielder. Fraser would then play as a back-up to Jolly and part time forward allowing Bad to go into Reid's position.

Personnel can change from this point forward but the structure should remain the same until finals and only change if mathchups absolutely necessitate it. Our backline structure has hit stupidly good form lately and I don't want to change its shape right now. If Reid end's up missing 3, I don't want to be changing the shape of the team going into the first final.

Buckley said the same thing about the forward line a few weeks ago; that there are set roles and the personnel change but the structures don't. It's even more important that this consistency happens in the backline.

NO WAY!!!!

Fraser plays = Us losing!

That was a HARD game...all the players looked exhausted at the end - except Swan of course who looked like he could go another 4 qtrs, reminds me of Robert Harvey!

Since we're playing Essendon on Friday wouldn't be surprised if they rested a couple players (as long as it ain't Swan - go the brownlow).

Blair should definitely get another kick!

NO WAY!!!!

Fraser plays = Us losing!

Why do you feel that way? He will have played 200 games so the media won't be annoying the hell out of us with "will Josh be stranded on 199 games" calls/articles during the finals (which can be distracting) and as I said, I don't want to change our defensive shape so that the backline will have to re-adjust when Reidy comes back. The other option is Big Jack in Reidy's position but all reports say that he had a poor game on the weekend. Nathan Brown doesn't read the fall of the ball well enough to play Reid's position, he is a full back.

This is why I think Bad should play in Reid's position meaning that Fraser needs to play. He has played in 8 games this season for 1 loss so I don't see the correlation you are trying to make and his best game this year has been against Essendon. His best game last year was also against Essendon. I don't lke him but we have depth for a reason.

Why do you feel that way? He will have played 200 games so the media won't be annoying the hell out of us with "will Josh be stranded on 199 games" calls/articles during the finals (which can be distracting) and as I said, I don't want to change our defensive shape so that the backline will have to re-adjust when Reidy comes back. The other option is Big Jack in Reidy's position but all reports say that he had a poor game on the weekend. Nathan Brown doesn't read the fall of the ball well enough to play Reid's position, he is a full back.

This is why I think Bad should play in Reid's position meaning that Fraser needs to play. He has played in 8 games this season for 1 loss so I don't see the correlation you are trying to make and his best game this year has been against Essendon. His best game last year was also against Essendon. I don't lke him but we have depth for a reason.

Why? Because he sucks... that's why!
The only reason he's played 199 games is because he's all we had and I respect him for the effort he gave us but he is simply no good.
Leigh Brown is not overly talented but his heart is bigger than the MCG itself.
Fraser is the complete opposite.

And against Essendon, why is it so important for us to have a replacement for Reid? Presti to Neagle. Harry, Maxy, Heater and Money Bags can easily cover the rest of them.

I would also lean towards Fraser returning for Reid
Bringing Josh back because of an inury is showing that he has not pushed anyone out of the side and MUST perform

What is the point of bringing Lockyer or Medhurst in? Why not blood someone whom is going to be part of your future? My preference would be to give Thomas a game, but I guess McCarthy or Blair would be ok also. Getting any of them as much game time as possible is only going to help their development, while Lockyer and/or Medhurst aren't going to be around in 3 or 4 years. We've always blooded young kids, why stop now?

What is the point of bringing Lockyer or Medhurst in? Why not blood someone whom is going to be part of your future?

Because it's pointless this far into the season and with finals so close it would be really dumb to start flirting with form and blooding players. Lockyer and Medhurst are both players who can play a part in the coming weeks. Thomas and Sinclair will get their chance next year.

Yeah I actually agree with this. Fraser has a good record against Essendon, and we could do with having a backup ruckman considering how Hille and Ryder work in tandem. Wouldn't be bad to give Fraser his 200th either, while we could still definitely lose this game, I would like to think that it's safe enough to bring in Josh :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leroy - Fraser: Leigh will get a week and Fraser should play his 200th in black and white MM has said as much this is the chance. played his only good game for the year ANZAC day this year.

Ball - Blair: Ball clearly needs a rest and Blair was very unlucky to be dropped.

Reid - McCarthy: Left field but McCarthy has been good in the VFL and is a quality player. Won't be in the finals 22 but should be given a couple weeks so that he is ready to go at AFL level if called upon. We don't need another defender to replace Reid given the defence held up without him against Geelong. We played 7 defenders in the line up with Heath coming in at the expense of Blair so this just takes us back to 6.

Sidebottom - Medhurst: Sidebottom has had minimal impact on games for a long time, hasn't been poor but hasn't really been important in any games. Medhurst is a proven match winner. I think Sidebottom needs at least a rest anyway so this move makes sense for mine.

It doesn't look good making 4 changes to a winning side but in fairness 2 of them are forced and at least one for the greater good (Ball) Medhurst could possibly come in for Reid even with McCarthy left out.

Sorry Shawthing but I can't agree with you here. I was ultra-impressed with Steele's game on Saturday night, just love his cleverness and football smarts. His tackling is also of a high quantity and quality. Unless he's sore and needs a rest to freshen up for the finals he should stay.

Blair will come back in, didn't play last weekend & will be very handy fresh for Shaw if not fit or Ball for a rest.

Nathan Brown should come in for Reid for obvious reasons &

if any other players really sore give Medhurst an opportunity

Can anyone confirm how long Reid will miss?

Either way, Nathan Brown played a very good game on the weekend in the VFL. He is really starting to develop his "ball accumulation" aspect of his game which has been a weakness for him. Is really stepping it up with some pretty big numbers playing as a key defender ala Reid last season in the twos. He is the automatic logical replacement for the injured Reid.

INS: Medhurst, Blair
OUTS: Reid, Ball (looks a bit sore)

B - Maxwell Presti Toovey
HB - O'Brien Goldsack Shaw
C - Thomas Swan Beams
HF - Didak Cloke Medhurst
F - Davis Dawes Macaffer
R - Jolly Pendlebury Wellingham
INT - Brown Sidebottom Johnson Blair

Possibly bring in Fraser to play his 200th for Reid.

I would be tempted to give McCarthy a go before finals although Blair is in front of him at the moment.

I think Medders needs to come in. Possibly Fraser with leroy to play more forward or back if needed to cover Reid.

Get this 200 games out of the way give Fraser a chance against a team he has dominated over the past 2 encounters and lets see where he is at in the AFL.

Yeah I actually agree with this. Fraser has a good record against Essendon, and we could do with having a backup ruckman considering how Hille and Ryder work in tandem. Wouldn't be bad to give Fraser his 200th either, while we could still definitely lose this game, I would like to think that it's safe enough to bring in Josh :p

Are we now forgetting the pantsing that paddy rider ALONE inflicted on Josh last years Anzac day...

He is stuck on 199 because he doesnt deserve 200 the way he's playing

We are winning without him in the side...We beat Geelong without him in the side

I hope he can lead our VFL team to a premiership this season but i dont want to see him in the team during finals or leading into finals when he hasnt dominated a game in the twos yet

How about the pantsing Fraser gave Ryder in the next game? Forgetting that one on purpose I'm sure. He deserves his 200 at some point

Are we now forgetting the pantsing that paddy rider ALONE inflicted on Josh last years Anzac day...

He is stuck on 199 because he doesnt deserve 200 the way he's playing

We are winning without him in the side...We beat Geelong without him in the side

I hope he can lead our VFL team to a premiership this season but i dont want to see him in the team during finals or leading into finals when he hasnt dominated a game in the twos yet

I don't think anyone will forget that 'effort' Anzac Day 09.

But he has desperately been trying to makeup for it since ( against Essendon)

He's definitely not best 22 any more..I'd like to see him reach 200, but do not want him displacing Leroy for finals

I don't think anyone will forget that 'effort' Anzac Day 09.

But he has desperately been trying to makeup for it since ( against Essendon)

He's definitely not best 22 any more..I'd like to see him reach 200, but do not want him displacing Leroy for finals

This. Not a truer word has ever been spoken on Bigfooty

Josh has been a good servant, i would like to see him play 200 If and only if his form is good enough to see him get into the side which is currently isnt

We've played better without him this season and we still dont need him this week

This. Not a truer word has ever been spoken on Bigfooty

This is just ridiculous.

What do we have depth for if we're not going to use it for fear that a player who comes in might play well enough to displace the incumbent? If Bad is good enough to keep his spot he will keep it and I think we all know he is good enough at the moment.

Nobody is saying that Leroy should be dropped anyway, just that he is the best replacement for Reid. Fraser is easily the best 3rd ruck in the comp and still valuable for us if something happens to Jolly or Brown pre-finals. We don't want him coming in having not played for months. Reid's injury is the best chance we have to give him a little taster of senior footy against a team he has dominated against lately.

Its now or never for Fraser to be recalled. He can only come in for Jolly, Brown, Cloke, Dawes, Presti or Reid/Brown otherwise we will be top heavy.

No way Id 'rest' our forwards so unless Jolly or Brown are rested or Ried/Brown injured or no matchups for them then theres no place in the team atm.

Also if Medhurst is going to be part of our finals campaign he must play this week.

I wouldn't be so definite about Josh Fraser not being in your best 22 and not getting another gig this season.

As has been a hot topic in the media recent weeks, having a strong squad of 26-28 players is vital to getting through a finals series and winning a premiership.

James Hird said On The Couch a few Monday's ago that despite the Dogs having Minson and Roughead going for the one spot, this was healthy competition and would help the Dogs, because even if one of them doesn't play in the GF, they may help win a QF/SF/PF because they are more suited to playing the particular opponent that the Dogs are about to verse at the time.

This topic came up on AFL Insider last night too, with Leon Cameron basically repeating what Hird said.

Malthouse has said previously (on Footy Classified and in a couple of media conferences) that Fraser will play his 200th game at some stage, and I believe that's true.

Collingwood may well come up against a team that requires someone more mobile (like Fraser) in September, as apposed to say a Leigh Brown who will just crash packs and bully people all day long (that's not an attack on him, it's just a fact).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back