Western Bulldogs (91) v Hawks (98)
Hawks (67) v Western Bulldogs (64)
Western Bulldogs (94) v Hawks (65)
Hawks(64)
v Western Bulldogs (87)
Western Bulldogs (125)
v Hawks (83)

Write up:
An interesting thing to note about this match up is that we haven't played the Hawks at the MCG since round 2 2019, where we beat them 106 to 87, and another interesting note, is that the Hawks haven't beaten the Dogs at the MCG since round 23 2011. We don't meet their often but when we do Dogs seem to get the candy, even during the Hawks premiership years.

Ins and outs:
Selectors nightmare, first we need to see what happens with Liam Jones, the tribunal is a shooting gallery, who knows what he'll get, if anything. I hope we employ some of Carlton's legal team and take this all the way, the man needs to play finals. Arty Jones was an excellent sub for VDM, do we keep him in? I feel the rest of the team is really settled, but if Liam does get suspended I'd be looking at making Lobb our number one, JOD second and probably bring in either Buku or Coffield to play the third spot. Coffield played an excellent final vs the Dogs a few years ago, that experience and mature head might edge him out for me to take that third spot. I just don't trust VDM's hammies, and honestly, I'd prefer to play Jones ahead of him in that role and maybe have VDM as a sub.

Prediction:
MCG, Saturday 7th of September, 90k+ - Dogs by 3 goals

Last edited:

In: West, Khamis
Out: VDM, Jones

Jones will get a week for sure. I don’t fully trust Buku but he’s actually a solid matchup for Gunston given he now lacks mobility, especially at ground level.

Usually when we are top in statistics (2016 & 2021) it signifies our progress in the finals making GF , 2024 also we are top in stats

Other Seasons when we are avg or poor in areas , our finals campaign isn’t successful

However in 2016 we played Sydney who also were playing their 4th final (outlier)

I think theres no way Jones' tackling action can be defended.
However, i really think the head contact to the ground was very minimal, maybe even hair touching the ground only.
Yes it can, as they say the tackler has a duty of care to not recklessly injure the ball carrier, the ball carrier has to protect himself but when an arm free, brace the fall by letting go of the ball

Yes it can, as they say the tackler has a duty of care to not recklessly injure the ball carrier, the ball carrier has to protect himself but when an arm free, brace the fall by letting go of the ball

The AFL has to consider whether it wants to see the player being tackled doing nothing to brace themselves and just going limp in the tackle. The duty of care goes both ways.

Cadman knew he was caught, had full awareness he was going to ground, so every instinct you have is to protect yourself which he should have.

Can't see how they can give Ash a week and let Jones off , but we were winning well without him and can do it again. Arty is just as good as Van Der Meer and more likely to kick a couple.
In: Buku, Jones
Out:Jones, VDM.

The AFL has to consider whether it wants to see the player being tackled doing nothing to brace themselves and just going limp in the tackle. The duty of care goes both ways.

Cadman knew he was caught, had full awareness he was going to ground, so every instinct you have is to protect yourself which he should have.
The one arm defence is unlikely to work. Ash tried it last week and still failed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is fair ground to challenge any suspension as :

1. One arm was free and clearly could have braced
2. There is significant doubt as to whether Cadman's head made any significant contact to the surface.

On the other hand if you saw Owies on Higgins yesterday he is in a fair amount of strife (both arms pinned / head-face clearly hits.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't see how they can give Ash a week and let Jones off , but we were winning well without him and can do it again. Arty is just as good as Van Der Meer and more likely to kick a couple.
In: Buku, Jones
Out:Jones, VDM.

Cadmans head barely hit the ground. There’s an angle from the fence that shows it possibly not even hit.

Ash’s tackle was far more aggressive, with the players head hitting pretty hard. That’s what got him a week.

A fine is likely considering other similar acts through the season have also only copped a fine.

If the consequence of the tackle counts towards a charge being laid and a penalty being imposed shouldn’t a lack of consequence ( no concussion) also count towards lessening the penalty?
Yea, and that is why he will get 1 week, and not 2

The year of an omen

In Olympic year we beat WCE, Hawthorn, GWS, Sydney wo win in 16 now we need possibly beat 3 of them again Hawks, Cats, GWS and Sydney to win it again in an Olympic year. Go for gold dogs.

PS I am already starting the campaign free Liam Jones.

Last edited:
A fine is likely considering other similar acts through the season have also only copped a fine

That’s what I’m hoping for, although my intuition leans me towards Christensen giving him a week off regardless

There is fair ground to challenge any suspension as :

1. One arm was free and clearly could have braced
2. There is significant doubt as to whether Cadman's head made any significant contact to the surface.

On the other hand if you saw Owies on Higgins yesterday he is in a fair amount of strife (both arms pinned / head-face clearly hits.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
And Owies received the free kick!

Can’t see Khamis coming in unless Jones is out through suspension.

JOD has been pretty decent since returning

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes VS Hawks - Elimination Final @ MCG Friday 6th Sep 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back