Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

It should be compulsory for anti Dixon posts to include who you want in the team instead because it's the difference between your post making sense and your post not making sense.

If you want Lord then fair.

If you want Marshall then open season to rip your post to shreds.

Criticism of Marshall is justified. Arguing that Lord would be better for the team than Marshall is just flat out ignoring how Lord actually performs week to week, even if you were asking them both to play Dixon's exact role.

It is a very negative Hinkley way to play the game.
Guy that can barely move, take front position or run gets some ludicrous cred for occupying a defender lol you idiots have lost the plot, lets see how all this goes in a final.

Like when Williams used Tredrea as a decoy in the 2004 finals series? Sooo negative and got us nowhere...

Like when Williams used Tredrea as a decoy in the 2004 finals series? Sooo negative and got us nowhere...
The idea of the decoy is great, only difference is Warren could get up the ground and was quite handy up the ground in those finals too. His QF and GF games (first half especially) were underrated even though he didn't kick the goals.

Whilst Dixon is the human embodiment of a bollard, he is still taking the oppositions no.1 defender each week, and if left unchecked still has the size and strength to kick a bag on his day.

This isn't excusing his performances, but tell me how well Sav & George go on Friday if they were stood by Weitering instead of McGovern or Kemp? He may be a shell of his former self, but as long as he keeps taking the no.1 defender and making a contest which then allows the other forwards to play on the 2nd & 3rd bananas he is doing his job.

Whilst Dixon is the human embodiment of a bollard, he is still taking the oppositions no.1 defender each week, and if left unchecked still has the size and strength to kick a bag on his day.

This isn't excusing his performances, but tell me how well Sav & George go on Friday if they were stood by Weitering instead of McGovern or Kemp? He may be a shell of his former self, but as long as he keeps taking the no.1 defender and making a contest which then allows the other forwards to play on the 2nd & 3rd bananas he is doing his job.

Nah mate get rid of him and bring in Hot Toddy, that will definitely improve the forward line!

He was judged BOG from the coaches only a week ago, whereas Lord went weeks without barely touching the ball, Dixon would not be in the team if Lord took his chances. Banged up but still best 22.

I personally think there is room for Todd to come back in without having to drop Dixon, completely different players.

Lets compare one of the greatest CHF's of all time who could move to a broken down bollard.

Sure. Tredrea was a little injured near the end of his career, but calling him a bollard is just offensive.

You just need to have eyes to see Dixon started the year poorly, has been that way for a while, and it chronically poor at the moment.

And yes TeeKray, Marshall is starting to get into my sights. He better have some courage, Dutch or otherwise when he comes back in. I want to see a pro-active, demanding the ball up the ground type. He is fine with the ball in hand but needs to bloody well compete.

I will be watching closely because he had a chance to be the number 1 banana but Georgiades has grabbed it like a lamb yiros at Yanni's with garlic sauce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon's body is physically cooked beyond repair but he's still having a better season than Hot Toddy simply because he actually competes and gives relentless effort. Yes it's pretty pathetic that this is enough to make you best 22 but it is.

Dixon's body is physically cooked beyond repair but he's still having a better season than Hot Toddy simply because he actually competes and gives relentless effort. Yes it's pretty pathetic that this is enough to make you best 22 but it is.
I prefer Timmy G's - Chase, Tackle, Harass and Get in Front Todd Marshall - over Hot Toddy.

The only thing that is laughable is that I was comparing Tredrea at his peak to Dixon at the end of his career. I did no such thing. I simply reminded a couple of posters scoffing at the tactic that it did successfully help us to a premiership.

Like it or not, Dixon is the only KPF we have who absolutely commands the oppositions no 1 KPD. Even at the end of his career, cooked and 33. Statistically he is arguably still our second most potent key forward and a better 2nd ruck than any other option we have by a long way. Sad but true.

If Dixon can play convincingly as a decoy while snagging some goals if left relatively unattended its a strategy that is just as viable as any other if the best possible finish to the season and any finals we might play is in the clubs best interests. Sadly I don't think it is.

It should be compulsory for anti Dixon posts to include who you want in the team instead
Fev. If unavailable, Jason Dunstall instead.

On a more serious note, happy to keep Dixon in for the remainder of the year, and get Finlayson to take over that role.

The only thing that is laughable is that I was comparing Tredrea at his peak to Dixon at the end of his career. I did no such thing. I simply reminded a couple of posters scoffing at the tactic that it did successfully help us to a premiership.

Like it or not, Dixon is the only KPF we have who absolutely commands the oppositions no 1 KPD. Even at the end of his career, cooked and 33. Statistically he is arguably still our second most potent key forward and a better 2nd ruck than any other option we have by a long way. Sad but true.

If Dixon can play convincingly as a decoy while snagging some goals if left relatively unattended its a strategy that is just as viable as any other if the best possible finish to the season and any finals we might play is in the clubs best interests. Sadly I don't think it is.
Dixon is not playing as a decoy. He's playing as a broken down Holden Commodore. He's like Jed. The opposition are not too worried about him at all and looking to efficiently gouge him into oblivion.

I get he's trying his butt off but it is just painful to watch. He struggles to mark and sometimes even get up.

Opposition coaching staffs have exploited him during the year and will continue to do so and will hone in him during the finals when matchups are essential with Hinkley having an exceedingly bad record with matchups in general.

When the finals come round, I don't wish it on him, but the increased intensity of his already corpse of a body might break him in half especially if we need him to perform Herculean efforts in the ruck.

If we had a decent 2nd ruck option, he would be out the door and this is another type of player I would like to pick up on the quiet.

Competitive comschmetitive there were at least three embarrassingly bad Dixon moments last week I can't believe haven't been giffed..

Weitering staying aware of him because he's a giant lump doesn't really equate to being competitive.

My son watched the replay with me after having watched the game live. He kept pointing out when a Dixon 'highlight' was coming up. It was comical how bad he was. Slipping, falling over, flying into packs indiscriminately, attempting to mark and not being any where near it... the only good thing I saw him do was a deft tap from a ruck contest.

I think fair enough if you are going to criticise Dixon, you should have an answer that is not Marshall so it is not perfect but I think I would play the Hornet 75% of the time high half forward and Mitch and the little guys.

It would be nice for Marshall to come back and do some things.

Dixon is not playing as a decoy. He's playing as a broken down Holden Commodore. He's like Jed. The opposition are not too worried about him at all and looking to efficiently gouge him into oblivion.

I get he's trying his butt off but it is just painful to watch. He struggles to mark and sometimes even get up.

Opposition coaching staffs have exploited him during the year and will continue to do so and will hone in him during the finals when matchups are essential with Hinkley having an exceedingly bad record with matchups in general.

When the finals come round, I don't wish it on him, but the increased intensity of his already corpse of a body might break him in half especially if we need him to perform Herculean efforts in the ruck.

If we had a decent 2nd ruck option, he would be out the door and this is another type of player I would like to pick up on the quiet.
Yes it was painful watching him take 6 marks against Richmond. 5 contested, 5 inside 50.

Against Carlton he absolutely did play as a decoy. You admitted as much when you called it a negative tactic.

Yeah the opposition aren't worried about Charlie at all who averages more goals a game than Marshall, Finlayson and Lord this season despite his old man body and having 2nd ruck duties.

He is the best ruck/forward we have and the only one with decoy potential other than Mitch. If you think the oppo aren't worried about Dixon the really, really sad part is they couldn't give two shits what anyone else except Mitch is doing and these guys are laughingly young and mobile. The most painful thing this season has been watching Marshall drop ****ing chest marks when he is 5 metres in the clear.

Your high powered Dixon focused forward microscope is sadly misdirected.

This has been our coaching philosophy for the past 5 years.

It doesn't really work to win finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back