Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

You’d have to go a long way to find a player drafted in the top 10 with less spatial awareness and/or a lower football IQ. Has absolutely no idea what he’s doing on the field, or what’s going on around him. Embarrassing recruiting.

Considering what else was available here (Butters), Chayce at pick 9 is in the worst 3 draft blunders in the history of the club.

You’d have to go a long way to find a player drafted in the top 10 with less spatial awareness and/or a lower football IQ. Has absolutely no idea what he’s doing on the field, or what’s going on around him. Embarrassing recruiting.

Considering what else was available here (Butters), Chayce at pick 9 is in the worst 3 draft blunders in the history of the club.
Yeah, nah... not even close to our worst blunder as has actually played some decent games.

Consider these other 1st round picks who played less than 10 games for us.

#7 - Angwin - 4 games
#8 - Meesen - 6 games
#13 - Gilligan - 3 games
#14 - Watts - 6 games

Then there is #6 - McAsey on 10 games who is looking a worse prospect than Jones.

Yeah, nah... not even close to our worst blunder as has actually played some decent games.

#7 - Angwin - 4 games
#8 - Meesen - 6 games
#13 - Gilligan - 3 games
#14 - Watts - 6 games

Then there is #6 - McAsey on 10 games who is looking a worse prospect than Jones.
Those were before the modern science of drafting, much more guesswork back then.

McAsey, Jones & McHenry are the worse, don't know what we were thinking.

#7 - Angwin - 4 games
#8 - Meesen - 6 games
#13 - Gilligan - 3 games
#14 - Watts - 6 games

As the previous poster mentioned, not much science went into it back then. All were poor picks, but honestly the recruiters prior to about 2007 were throwing darts most of the time. Nowhere near enough resources, no combine, far more of a crap shoot. Top 10 draft picks were thrown around like candy in trades for 29 year olds back then too.

Jones is very lucky to be getting a game. He wouldn’t be in about 12-15 other sides. He was drafted as a midfielder and has failed miserably in that role. His exploits as a defender are hugely overrated by some on here and if what he’s put together qualifies as “decent” from a guy selected before Zak Butters (and Jordan Clark, and Nick Blakey, and even Isaac Quaynor), then I think that’s pretty damn generous. He’s just not very good at anything (yes, he’s less terrible than McHenry, but Zak Butters wasn’t available when Ned was taken).

Worst 3 draft blunders for me, since drafting became a professional occupation are:

Jones over Butters
Gallucci over English
McAsey over Serong / Young / Pickett / Day

Honourable mentions to Milera over Curnow (in fairness, Milera has been crippled by injury and Curnow got done drink driving in the leadup to the draft) and McHenry over literally anyone with a pulse (Tom Sparrow my favourite taken after him).

As the previous poster mentioned, not much science went into it back then. All were poor picks, but honestly the recruiters prior to about 2007 were throwing darts most of the time. Nowhere near enough resources, no combine, far more of a crap shoot. Top 10 draft picks were thrown around like candy in trades for 29 year olds back then too.

Jones is very lucky to be getting a game. He wouldn’t be in about 12-15 other sides. He was drafted as a midfielder and has failed miserably in that role. His exploits as a defender are hugely overrated by some on here and if what he’s put together qualifies as “decent” from a guy selected before Zak Butters (and Jordan Clark, and Nick Blakey, and even Isaac Quaynor), then I think that’s pretty damn generous. He’s just not very good at anything (yes, he’s less terrible than McHenry, but Zak Butters wasn’t available when Ned was taken).

Worst 3 draft blunders for me, since drafting became a professional occupation are:

Jones over Butters
Gallucci over English

Honourable mentions to Milera over Curnow (in fairness, Milera has been crippled by injury and Curnow got done drink driving in the leadup to the draft) and McHenry over literally anyone with a pulse (Tom Sparrow my favourite taken after him).
At least Jones had potential AFL qualities (pace, ball winning as a junior)

McHenry and McAsey didn't even have obvious AFL attributes that you'd expect from a first rounder

At least Jones had potential AFL qualities (pace, ball winning as a junior)

McHenry and McAsey didn't even have obvious AFL attributes that you'd expect from a first rounder
I agree, but Chayce’s complete lack of footy IQ is there for all to see, plus where we drafted McHenry, the next 10 or so picks were mostly pretty shit players too.

Just imagine Butters, English and Serong right now instead of Chayce, a delisted slot and McAsey. It’s such a huge difference. O’Brien would be trade bait with English in the ruck (or maybe they could co-exist), and Butters and Serong would add some much needed class to our horrendous midfield mix.

Chayce mostly uses his much-vaunted pace these days to run into trouble, or to almost spoil marks, or to overcommit to a contest, allowing his opponent to play on. The ball-winning was a lot easier for him playing against kids - he could play 300 games (he won’t) and he’d literally never rack up 25 touches even once in the big league. He’s a complete bust, and the sooner we move on, the better.

After a very good game… a decent first quarter and then nothing at all. Completely nothing.

Sigh
Story of his career so far. Teases, looks good for a quarter or so and is invisible the rest of the time.

54 games and not a single one where he's gotten 20 or more possessions because he can't stay involved consistently in a game.

I agree, but Chayce’s complete lack of footy IQ is there for all to see, plus where we drafted McHenry, the next 10 or so picks were mostly pretty s**t players too.

Just imagine Butters, English and Serong right now instead of Chayce, a delisted slot and McAsey. It’s such a huge difference. O’Brien would be trade bait with English in the ruck (or maybe they could co-exist), and Butters and Serong would add some much needed class to our horrendous midfield mix.

Chayce mostly uses his much-vaunted pace these days to run into trouble, or to almost spoil marks, or to overcommit to a contest, allowing his opponent to play on. The ball-winning was a lot easier for him playing against kids - he could play 300 games (he won’t) and he’d literally never rack up 25 touches even once in the big league. He’s a complete bust, and the sooner we move on, the better.
That run he did last week where he used his elite pace and did a 50m kick which went just above Walker was very good, had he straighten the delivery it might have bounced and resulted in a 80m running goal. He was one of a very few who looked good in the 1st quarter until that easy set shot miss and then went missing for the remaining 3 quarters.

That run he did last week where he used his elite pace and did a 50m kick which went just above Walker was very good, had he straighten the delivery it might have bounced and resulted in a 80m running goal. He was one of a very few who looked good in the 1st quarter until that easy set shot miss and then went missing for the remaining 3 quarters.
Its fantastic when we can pin point one good (basic) thing a player can do in a game.

Jones over Butters
Gallucci over English

Lol. “McHenry over anyone with a pulse”

Don’t know about that, probably a few corpses going around with more football ability.

I agree, but Chayce’s complete lack of footy IQ is there for all to see, plus where we drafted McHenry, the next 10 or so picks were mostly pretty s**t players too.

I honestly don’t think our coaches would have been able to get English, Butters and Sering to the standard they are today.

Butters would probably be sitting on 25-30 games, accumulated over 7 or 8 yo-yo’s on and out of the side

I put ALL those magnets in the bin yesterday, after seeing what the Swans have accumulated in a short space of time.

Before anyone goes the simpleton academy defence, have a look at where they drafted a heap of their players, 30s/40s/50s/rookies. Every one of them is skilled and tough.

Over to you Justin and Hamish, you need to get a lot right this off season. Be creative please, we need to strike now!
That’s called development my friend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dog-ball-chase.gif

Go get ‘em Chayce

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back