Chris Judd and Nathan Buckley: Who's better at their best

Remove this Banner Ad

buckley is alot betta, ive never seen someone have the ability to kick so well. He could hit a target off one step or 60 metres away with percission, i think judd gets talked up to much and everyone treats him as god when they havent seen buckley and alot of other good players play because they are to young.

If Buckley played with Cousins (who is was better than Judd), and Kerr, he would be an AFL legend by now.........

This is from a guy who picks Hird over the "Hird VS Buckley VS Voss" argument.

Buckley was great on either foot, kicked well, inspired a team that was not as good as its results and put the club first.

But Hird first :D

buckley is alot betta, ive never seen someone have the ability to kick so well. He could hit a target off one step or 60 metres away with percission, i think judd gets talked up to much and everyone treats him as god when they havent seen buckley and alot of other good players play because they are to young.

If your grammar is anything to go by, I'd be suprised if you were older than 15.

Mate, Buckley retired a few years ago. 90% of the people on here would have been watching footy at the time...

yes it's true that judd has played his best football so far at west coast but i can guarantee there are still people a lot of people voting for bucks because they hate carlton so much.

oh, and judd will not always remain the west coast superstar, his best is yet to come.

I think alot of people voted for Judd because they hated Collingwood, not the other way around.

I am sorry but you need to see the world in more than black and white.

Buckley was a good kick, but not exceptional.

There are plenty of players who kick as well or better than Buckley.

Buckley lost efficiency around 50 metres.

Some current players who are equal or better kicks.

Josh Drummond
Stewart Dew
Luke Hodge
Brendan Goddard
Lindsay Gilbee
Jason Akermanis
Nathan Brown (Richmond)

and there would be others.

Translation: I hate Judd. I've seen it in multiple threads.. this is just the latest comical installment.

Bucks was a very gifted natural footballer, though I would rather Judd in my team due to his superior clearance/contested possesion ability. I would rather a fully fit and in form Judd than any midfielder of the last 20 years.

In 2003 Buckley set the AFL clearance record, averaging over 7 per game.

Judd has yet to beat it, and doesn't look like he ever will.

So Buckley's best clearance work was better than Judd.

Buckley also the better kick, better mark and not only that he found more of the ball.

Judd was quicker, but that is it.

5 goals in a half against Brisbane at the Gabba in 2003, Brisbane at the height of their domanance. Juddy turned it on against Brisbane like no other player at that time.

Buckley no match for Judd at his best.

Right back at you. Buckley was the difference in our win over Brisbane in this match:

[YOUTUBE]U6an26qR3qw[/YOUTUBE]

Josh Drummond
Stewart Dew
Luke Hodge
Brendan Goddard
Lindsay Gilbee
Jason Akermanis
Nathan Brown (Richmond)

Rubbish. Buckley had elite kicking efficiency. Even rated by one comentator (forget which one - wasn't Eddie, Christian or BT for the record) as the best field kick of all time. His ability to find a player in a crowd of people was freaky.

In 2003 Buckley set the AFL clearance record, averaging over 7 per game.

Judd has yet to beat it, and doesn't look like he ever will.

So Buckley's best clearance work was better than Judd.

Buckley also the better kick, better mark and not only that he found more of the ball.

Judd was quicker, but that is it.

Check out the poll results. They suggest Judd had a bit more going for him over Buckley than just pace.

Buckley averaged over 24 disposals and over a goal a game even including the last few years where he wasn't tracking too well.

Judd averages less disposals and less than a goal a game even in the prime of his career.

Buckley please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Drummond
Stewart Dew
Luke Hodge
Brendan Goddard
Lindsay Gilbee
Jason Akermanis
Nathan Brown (Richmond)

Utter bullshit mate, seriously nathan brown????:eek::eek: His kicking is average at best. Buckley was one of the best kicks of his generation, could hit a target 60 m away off a few steps- remember that goal in the 2002 GF?? Fair enough gilbee is equal to bucks, but nathan brown?? LOL
Only gilbee, goddard and probably hodge have the same precision and penetration that buckley had in his kick

Utter bullshit mate, seriously nathan brown????:eek::eek: His kicking is average at best. Buckley was one of the best kicks of his generation, could hit a target 60 m away off a few steps- remember that goal in the 2002 GF?? Fair enough gilbee is equal to bucks, but nathan brown?? LOL
Only gilbee, goddard and probably hodge have the same precision and penetration that buckley had in his kick

You over rate Buckley's kicking. He was not a consistent 60 metre precision kick and Dew is far better in that regard.

Nathan Brown has been a more reliable kick at goal, particularly on his wrong side, than Buckley. He has probably declined since the leg injury.

You over rate Buckley's kicking. He was not a consistent 60 metre precision kick and Dew is far better in that regard.

Nathan Brown has been a more reliable kick at goal, particularly on his wrong side, than Buckley. He has probably declined since the leg injury.
Dew might have bucks on distance but definately not accuracy. And nathan brown may be a better kick at goal on his wrong side, but Buckley is far superior from any distance/angle. I thought we were talking about field kicking btw...

Check out the poll results. They suggest Judd had a bit more going for him over Buckley than just pace.

People, like yourself, base your choice on incorrect info.

You said Judd was better at clearances.....this is wrong, Buckley has the AFL record for clearances over the course of a season in 2003. So Buckley at his best was a better clearance player than Judd.

Buckley was always a much better kick, and he found more of the ball.

Buckley better overhead, he pinched hitted as a KP player at times.

What did Judd do better than Buckley??

Not clearances, kicking, marking, finding the footy......etc

Buckley the best overall midfielder of the last 20 years

You said Judd was better at clearances.....this is wrong, Buckley has the AFL record for clearances over the course of a season in 2003. So Buckley at his best was a better clearance player than Judd.

Explosive pace, the ability to burst out of a pack, take on a few players and kick a goal. Thats what, IMO, judd did better than bucks whilst he was at west coast. Probably also tackling and inside work. Judd at his best (2004-2006) is probably the best midfielder of the last 20yrs

Yeh, and you're no doubt basing your entire opinion on Buckley's final years of his career where he declined due to his hamstring injuries.

I'm being serious when I say everything you've written has amused me. Does Dew have a right foot, by the way?

Brown has nowhere near the field kicking ability of Buckley. Buckley has distance, penetration over him, and rofl at thinking Brown is more accurate.

I'm not really that interested in your stats. For starters, your sample is for one season only. If I were to play it your way, I'd just mention how Judd had the first 8 clearances of the 2005 grand final... it might only be one game, but we're talking about peak performance right?

BTW, if you can't think of one solitary thing that Judd could do better than Buckley, I might take leave of you and discuss football elsewhere.

I'm not really that interested in your stats. For starters, your sample is for one season only.
Because they completely contrast what you thought.

You like many think that Buckley was some soft outside receiver, he played this role early in his career under T.Shaw......because that is where T.Shaw wanted to use him due to his elite field kicking.

Under Malthouse, Buckley was moved into the middle and combined his elite finishing skills with some of the best inside play in the clearances. In one season, 2003, Buckley won the most clearances of any player to date.

So your assertion that Judd is better at winning clearances than Buckley aint backed up by facts.

If I were to play it your way, I'd just mention how Judd had the first 8 clearances of the 2005 grand final... it might only be one game, but we're talking about peak performance right?
One game.......im sure Buckley getting 46 touches at Vic Park blows anything that Judd has done out of the water in terms of one game, and that was when touches actually meant something, not the G.Ablett/Swan statsfest that mean nothing these days!!

BTW, if you can't think of one solitary thing that Judd could do better than Buckley, I might take leave of you and discuss football elsewhere.
Im just pointing out that Buckley has the AFL record for clearances in a season......so people voting for Judd because they beleive he was a better clearance player are misguided.

Stats are deceptive. Often Judd is at the bottom of the pack picking up the ball and shooting it off by hand - the player that kicks it forward would be attributed with the clearance, not Judd. Though Judd's ability to win the contested football, burst through a pack of players and kick the footy is phenomenal. His ability inside and outside is what makes him the most damaging midfielder in the game.

Very rarely will you see him go sideways or handball it around too - mightn't get the numbers of some (though has been racking it up this year) but he does something with it every time he does.

Because they completely contrast what you thought.

You like many think that Buckley was some soft outside receiver,

Kindly point me to where I said that.

Under Malthouse, Buckley was moved into the middle and combined his elite finishing skills with some of the best inside play in the clearances. In one season, 2003, Buckley won the most clearances of any player to date.

Again, I never said Buckley couldn't get a clearance. I simply said that Judd was better.

So your assertion that Judd is better at winning clearances than Buckley aint backed up by facts.

The reason why I said I wasn't that interested in your stats, is because stats are overrated, and can be manipulated to tell whatever story you like. In fact, just about the only stat with reference to either of these two players, that has ever attracted my attention, is funnily enough a clearance stat of Judd's. I can't remember what it was exactly, but I'm fairly sure that in years that he has been fit and in form, say, '05, '06, first half of '07 and this year for example, he has led the comp for average cleances by about 2 per game... somewhere around 6.5 per game compared to the next best of 4.5 or something like that. Why don't you do the research - you seem quite adept at pulling up stats.

One game.......im sure Buckley getting 46 touches at Vic Park blows anything that Judd has done out of the water in terms of one game, and that was when touches actually meant something, not the G.Ablett/Swan statsfest that mean nothing these days!!

You have evidently missed the point I was making by deliberately using one solitary game as a sample. I thought I made it clear enough. It comes back to stats.

Im just pointing out that Buckley has the AFL record for clearances in a season......so people voting for Judd because they beleive he was a better clearance player are misguided

Most people who have voted Judd, like me, would probably just be doing it on instinct, having witnessed, and remembered, just how scintillating and brilliant Judd's best was. He wasn't regarded as being potentially one of the greatest players of ALL TIME, back in 2005 and 2006 etc, for no reason. As I said earlier, take a look at the poll results.

Yeh, and you're no doubt basing your entire opinion on Buckley's final years of his career where he declined due to his hamstring injuries.

I'm being serious when I say everything you've written has amused me. Does Dew have a right foot, by the way?

Brown has nowhere near the field kicking ability of Buckley. Buckley has distance, penetration over him, and rofl at thinking Brown is more accurate.

I am glad your amused. I am regularly amused by the hero worship that comes with supporting a particular team.

My opinion remains unchanged and is not coloured by bias. Although coloured is a strong concept for Collingwood supporters, who still see the world as black and white.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd and Nathan Buckley: Who's better at their best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back