Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

The numbers the media run with aren't always accurate - see Thomas and Frawley for other examples. A 4 year $2 million deal would have had a larger impact on the compensation. It's a massive deal, well about the average contract floating around. I have no doubt the salary has been exaggerated a bit to sell papers. Although whether he's on $500k or $420k or $250k, it's still too much so in the end it really doesn't matter what he's getting paid.

Thomas was reported to be on $700k for 4 years and Frawley on $550k-$600k for a similar length. I'm not aware any media inflating these numbers?

For Mayne, all we can go on is what is reported, and that's a $2m deal over 4 years. Would take multiple media reports on this number over any bigfooty Collingwood board heresay.

But regardless, his move looks a mistake when Buckley should be looking at playing young talent in that position. Especially the length of the deal.

Pies waste their money and salary cap on this guy, who is stuck on Pies list and cap space like an albatross. Means that the other clubs have marginally less competition for the next FA or an expensive trade target.

Not a huge lot, but every bit makes a difference.

Relevance?
A cleft lip/palate affects a persons ability to close their mouth properly afaik, so essentially you've potted a bloke over a physical deformity he has no control over.

Pies waste their money and salary cap on this guy, who is stuck on Pies list and cap space like an albatross. Means that the other clubs have marginally less competition for the next FA or an expensive trade target.

Not a huge lot, but every bit makes a difference.
I think you'll find that Collingwood still has a lot of cap space to work with currently. If anything, the only thing that might really affect our ability to chase a free agent this year is Grundy. His current form could see his price escalate from $500-$600k to north of $700k, especially if he gets an AA nod.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't.

Please explain it to me.

Treating a cleft lip in babies is pretty routine. How would it prevent someone closing his mouth 28 years later?
Depends on the severity of the cleft. Often the lip structure leaves a person with a slightly open mouth when their face is relaxed. Stop being a dick.

It sounds to me like you're full of shit.

Mayne can't close his mouth but maybe you should close yours.
Mayne can close his mouth, it just stays open when his face is relaxed. The only one here full of shit is you pretending not to know what the effect of a cleft lip is even after it's been explained.

I don't accept your explanation. It sounds like guesswork on your part.
If you must know, my great grandfather had a cleft lip and palate. He always had his mouth open when his face was relaxed too. Not that it's any of your goddamn business.

Depends on the severity of the cleft. Often the lip structure leaves a person with a slightly open mouth when their face is relaxed. Stop being a dick.
Telling him to do that is like telling a dog not to bark at cats.

If you must know, my great grandfather had a cleft lip and palate. He always had his mouth open when his face was relaxed too. Not that it's any of your goddamn business.
I didn't ask about your grandfather. You volunteered that information. So your defensiveness is unjustified.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back