Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear Collingwood like role players. Have you heard about the 144 game, almost premiership winning, rising star nominee, best friend of Nat Fyfe and all round superstar Nick Suban. I think if you push hard enough you may also be able to get him on a 4 year, 500k contract. It would be hard to see such a vital player go but I wouldnt hold any grudges if he wanted to join Mayne for the Collingwood premiership push

lol bennell is looking awesome pal

I hear Collingwood like role players. Have you heard about the 144 game, almost premiership winning, rising star nominee, best friend of Nat Fyfe and all round superstar Nick Suban. I think if you push hard enough you may also be able to get him on a 4 year, 500k contract. It would be hard to see such a vital player go but I wouldnt hold any grudges if he wanted to join Mayne for the Collingwood premiership push
I chuckled

I really have no idea what Collingwood were thinking. Absolutely horrible trade. Wells I could understand - he's actually a real talent when he's fit. Mayne has been rubbish for years. There was a time when he was decent - back when he was a dead eye set shot but even back then he was no star just a good ordinary player in a good team.

If you are certain he will play the rest of his Collingwood career in the seconds, you should pay him out.
Mayne's playing in the VFL now. I think he will improve and get back in the ones.
I am pretty certain he will, however given that I'm not in charge of Collingwood's list management, I do not have the means to make such a move.

If I was Chris Mayne, I am not going anywhere.

green-tick-icon-54801.png
500K per annum for 3 more years of VFL footy
397727_29740b2e78f44077761e02e6d703594d.png
Get only a small fraction of what I am being paid playing local footy.

Devils advocate, he's getting that 1.5 mill anyway, take it and get money on top of that playing local

They might be able to a deal but he is unlikely to get close to what his contract is worth.
If he gets delisted they have to pay his contract out.

They are not delisting him, whoever suggested it is an idiot.

Absolutely no argument that he has no value as an AFL footballer any more but you have to pay him anyway, he would be a great locker room presence and a proxy coach so more value to pay him and keep him then pay him and move him on.

They are not delisting him, whoever suggested it is an idiot.

Absolutely no argument that he has no value as an AFL footballer any more but you have to pay him anyway, he would be a great locker room presence and a proxy coach so more value to pay him and keep him then pay him and move him on.
Was Ox on SEN:

SCHWARZ: ‘LIST CLOGGER’ MAYNE MUST GO

Melbourne great David Schwarz has slammed Collingwood’s recruiting of former Docker Chris Mayne, saying the person who signed off on the deal should never work in footy again.

Mayne is in the first year of a four year deal with the Magpies, reportedly worth $500,000 a season.

He was dropped by the Magpies after Round 3 and hasn’t been seen in the senior side since.

Despite Mayne still having another three years left on his deal, Schwarz said the two parties must part ways at the end of the season.

“If I’m Collingwood, I go to Mayne and his manager and say, let’s cut a deal,” Schwarz said on SEN 1116.

“We have you for four years, (we’ve) got to pay you two million dollars, we have already paid you 500 thousand. We will pay you 650 thousand now to pack your bags and go home.

“You’re going be playing in the reserves. It’s your choice. Even if we pay you a million, we wipe you and move on.”

Schwarz believes keeping Mayne will impact the development of young players on the Collingwood list.

“It isn’t even about the money, you can always afford it and there is room in the cap,” he said.

“It stifles the development of the list when you have a list clogger like Chris Mayne. The person who did the deal, hang your head in shame. They should never work in the AFL again.

“Chris Mayne hasn’t given a yelp.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Ox on SEN:

SCHWARZ: ‘LIST CLOGGER’ MAYNE MUST GO

Melbourne great David Schwarz has slammed Collingwood’s recruiting of former Docker Chris Mayne, saying the person who signed off on the deal should never work in footy again.

Mayne is in the first year of a four year deal with the Magpies, reportedly worth $500,000 a season.

He was dropped by the Magpies after Round 3 and hasn’t been seen in the senior side since.

Despite Mayne still having another three years left on his deal, Schwarz said the two parties must part ways at the end of the season.

“If I’m Collingwood, I go to Mayne and his manager and say, let’s cut a deal,” Schwarz said on SEN 1116.

“We have you for four years, (we’ve) got to pay you two million dollars, we have already paid you 500 thousand. We will pay you 650 thousand now to pack your bags and go home.

“You’re going be playing in the reserves. It’s your choice. Even if we pay you a million, we wipe you and move on.”

Schwarz believes keeping Mayne will impact the development of young players on the Collingwood list.

“It isn’t even about the money, you can always afford it and there is room in the cap,” he said.

“It stifles the development of the list when you have a list clogger like Chris Mayne. The person who did the deal, hang your head in shame. They should never work in the AFL again.

“Chris Mayne hasn’t given a yelp.”

What a fat disrespectful sack of shit.

Chris Mayne hasn't given a yelp? To imply he hasn't given great effort and dedicated himself to the cause is absolute crap, that man oozes integrity and certainly wouldn't be going through the motions.

And to suggest he accepts 650k when he is owed 1.5 mill.............. LOL.

No wonder this idiot had a gambling issue if he thinks that makes sense.

Chris Mayne hasn't given a yelp? To imply he hasn't given great effort and dedicated himself to the cause is absolute crap, that man oozes integrity and certainly wouldn't be going through the motions.

My point exactly, not going to make up the windfall on 1K a game playing in the lower leagues.

Pull your head in. No need to get personal with Schwarz. He is 100% correct.

If Mayne was genuine he would have got a game. Collingwood are a bottom 4 side.

Deplorable from both mayne and the Collingwood FC

If he was genuine about what?
His committment to playing, training, diet etc?

That guy is as hard a worker as you will find and has as much integrity as anyone in the league, to say he isn't genuine" is absolute bullshit.

Poor recruitment from Collingwood FC yes, from Mayne maybe he just hasn't adjusted to the way the game is played or the game has passed him by.
He was shit last year too and still got paid in a big pay so this isn't a case of him saying "i got my money, now i'm going to just relax"...

Chris MAYNE (Collingwood VFL)
Totals

• 13 games
  • 17 goals
  • 12 behinds
  • 5 times in best players list

Averages
  • 7.4 kicks
  • 7.2 handballs
  • 14.6 disposals
  • 4.6 marks
  • 4.9 tackles
  • 1.2 inside 50s
  • 0.6 rebound 50s
  • 77.00 DT points

How is he preforming at VFL?

Poorly. Very poorly in fact. Rarely (if ever) rates a mention in the bests. I'm sure he's training hard... or something

Could the pies trade him to the Suns/Brisbane?

Brisbane will want nothing to do with him due to age (although they've been good enough to take Paine and Frost in recent seasons), Gold Coast would only be slightly more likely but still I'm sure any team that had even the slightest bit of interest will ask us to pay a cut of his wage.

I can't recall Collingwood making a worse signing than Mayne in my life.

Terrible by Mayne to sign the best contract available to him

Ox is a ****ing moron. Nothing personal. You cant just "lets cut a deal" either. All he is owed is then applied to the salary cap. Which means it would be about the 2m. Which puts pies over the cap

So what ox is claiming collingwood should do. Is either bust over the salary cap and cop the consequences of say a draft pick removed. Or rort the salary cap and be in line to cop a carlton type penalty.

Terrible by Mayne to sign the best contract available to him

Ox is a ******* moron. Nothing personal. You cant just "lets cut a deal" either. All he is owed is then applied to the salary cap. Which means it would be about the 2m. Which puts pies over the cap

So what ox is claiming collingwood should do. Is either bust over the salary cap and cop the consequences of say a draft pick removed. Or rort the salary cap and be in line to cop a carlton type penalty.

Exactly, there is no stretch provision in the CBA in the AFL like other sports.

Not like that fat boofhead would even understand what a "stretch provision" means.

Let's just hope it was heavily front ended.

Is that likely given the state of the list?

Wells, Treloar, Aish, Varcoe, Greenwood, Howe, Hoskin-Elliott all brought in over recent years. Swan, Brown, Cloke, Beams out.

Definitely one of the strangest trade/FA moves I've seen. Most 'why are you picking that guy up?' cases usually engender some level of optimism from fans but Mayne didn't really seem to.

Mayne played some good footy at Freo but I've never understood where Collingwood saw him fitting in or why they thought he was worth $500k or whatever it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back