Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that likely given the state of the list?

Wells, Treloar, Aish, Varcoe, Greenwood, Howe, Hoskin-Elliott all brought in over recent years. Swan, Brown, Cloke, Beams out.

Definitely one of the strangest trade/FA moves I've seen. Most 'why are you picking that guy up?' cases usually engender some level of optimism from fans but Mayne didn't really seem to.

Mayne played some good footy at Freo but I've never understood where Collingwood saw him fitting in or why they thought he was worth $500k or whatever it is.

Potentially - Cloke was on a fair wicket (as was Swan). Of the players you have listed only Treloar would be on big money ($800k ish) with the others on smaller contracts that would fit in fine. With Swan and Cloke moving on at the end of last year we could have front ended Mayne and/or Wells to pay the full amount of the cap and still have room later on to sign young players coming out.

Making a comment about how bad Mayne's deal is is probably the biggest soft ball a football pundit could ever get, how Schwarz managed to **** that up is well beyond me.

It still baffles me to this day, you've got Fasolo and Eliott who form a pretty handy duo, then you've got lots of (what I think are) talented little nippers like Brown, Daicos, Kirby and Crocker. I would like to hear Hine try to rationalise it.

Making a comment about how bad Mayne's deal is is probably the biggest soft ball a football pundit could ever get, how Schwarz managed to **** that up is well beyond me.

It still baffles me to this day, you've got Fasolo and Eliott who form a pretty handy duo, then you've got lots of (what I think are) talented little nippers like Brown, Daicos, Kirby and Crocker. I would like to hear Hine try to rationalise it.
It was Graeme Allen's decision, not Hine's

Was Ox on SEN:

SCHWARZ: ‘LIST CLOGGER’ MAYNE MUST GO

Melbourne great David Schwarz has slammed Collingwood’s recruiting of former Docker Chris Mayne, saying the person who signed off on the deal should never work in footy again.

Mayne is in the first year of a four year deal with the Magpies, reportedly worth $500,000 a season.

He was dropped by the Magpies after Round 3 and hasn’t been seen in the senior side since.

Despite Mayne still having another three years left on his deal, Schwarz said the two parties must part ways at the end of the season.

“If I’m Collingwood, I go to Mayne and his manager and say, let’s cut a deal,” Schwarz said on SEN 1116.

“We have you for four years, (we’ve) got to pay you two million dollars, we have already paid you 500 thousand. We will pay you 650 thousand now to pack your bags and go home.

“You’re going be playing in the reserves. It’s your choice. Even if we pay you a million, we wipe you and move on.”

Schwarz believes keeping Mayne will impact the development of young players on the Collingwood list.

“It isn’t even about the money, you can always afford it and there is room in the cap,” he said.

“It stifles the development of the list when you have a list clogger like Chris Mayne. The person who did the deal, hang your head in shame. They should never work in the AFL again.

“Chris Mayne hasn’t given a yelp.”
Far out thats a bit mean coming from a bloody has-been.

When Collingwood brought Jeremy Howe in, I didn't see it turning out as good as it has, so I kept an open mind in regards to Mayne. I never wanted him, have never thought he was a good player, but players can find a new lease when they change clubs.

But yeah, I just can't stand the sight of him in Collingwood colours and I want him gone, just pay him out and be done with this and I agree that whoever signed off on the deal should be instantly fired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't doubt you. But interesting he'd get the call over Hine and Buckley on such a recruitment. I'd more understand if it was a marquee recruit and Allen wanted a big name but this one is a real head scratcher.

Allen just loves signing guys, regardless if it makes a heap of sense...

Pert didn't confirm that, he said he the decision to recruit Mayne will be vindicated.

Read it again and you'll see that Ralph has added that to the introduction to Pert's comments.

Just another example of how the media turn rumour into fact :rolleyes:
Would have to be 500K for Freo to have got the second round compo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back