Chris Scott - Hold that loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such limited intellect. It’s popular to bash C Scott but he wasn’t responsible for tonight’s loss. Please tell me you understand that.

I didn't say he was to blame for the loss.

I did say - and like everyone else has pointed out - playing Blicavs up the ground and isolating Danger up forward were baffling moves.

Do keep up.

You know, the performance that saw Geelong within two kicks with 5 minutes to go against a side that was $1.30 on with the bookies to roll us with Hawkins and Duncan out.
Nice little stat if you ignore that Geelong were up by 21 points at half time and got absolutely rolled in the 2nd half. A few coaching changes and you might have won that game, but nope.

I didn't realise that they only played half the game. I must have missed that.

Yes, the same move that had you blow a 21 point halftime lead. The same move that saw Lynch run rampant. The same move that contributed to Richmond's domination after half time. The same move that didn't work last week. That same move that has everyone questioning it, including your fellow supporters, bar you.

What a moron. You've got nothing.
Moron? Ok. Let’s play the man. But you’re not even capable of that. Richmond were too good this evening. C Scott did well to keep Geelong in it. Let’s recall how may punters tipped them tonight eh?

Playing one of your best key defenders on a wing (which didn't really work last week) while the opposition tall forward ran rampant, stranding your best midfielder in the forward line when the opposition started to gain momentum out of the centre clearances, and playing a donkey like Lachie Henderson at full forward (when was the last time he played that role at AFL level?) were particularly silly decisions.

Lynch kicked 5, Danger had 8 touches after half time and Henderson had 5 touches and no impact.

2016 PF apparently for Henderson, I think one of the commentators mentioned. I thought he played a role to a degree to be fair, only one touch in the first half but did well making sure he wasn’t outmarked and kept halving contests. Can’t say he had a good game with 5 touches but when Geelong was going well, he was quelling Grimes’ impact.

Nice little stat if you ignore that Geelong were up by 21 points at half time and got absolutely rolled in the 2nd half. A few coaching changes and you might have won that game, but nope.
What coaching moves would you have made at half time being 21 points up? I’m eager to glean such wisdom?

Interestingly Hardwick (who 99% of this site rated as a failure before 2017) said Scott is a brilliant coach and is always changing little things in the gameplan to surprise the opposition and get an edge and it took him till half time to get his tactics adjusted to what Scott had concocted.
From that point the better team won. But without Scott's coaching tactics it probably would have been over by half time. Fair effort.

Tactics only get you so far, class will out in the end.

Scott is a bit like Lyon really. I don't think either of them has ever had the best squad in the competition other than when Scott first took over. Lyon had about 75% of a great side at Saint Kilda and a bunch of uninspired foot soldiers making up numbers. At Freo it was probably even worse. Some very good players like Pav & McPharlin but some utter hacks too.
Geelong are fairly similar.

What coaching moves would you have made at half time being 21 points up? I’m eager to glean such wisdom?
Probably wouldn't have played the best midfielder in the competition in the forward line in that 3rd quarter when Prestia and the Tigers midfield started going nuts out of the centre. Danger had 2 touches that quarter while Richmond went from 21 points down to 4 in front.

A 40 point swing in 2 quarters in a prelim must be embarrassing for a coach. Completely outfoxed.

Probably wouldn't have played the best midfielder in the competition in the forward line in that 3rd quarter when Prestia and the Tigers midfield started going nuts out of the centre. Danger had 2 touches that quarter while Richmond went from 21 points down to 4 in front.

A 40 point swing in 2 quarters in a prelim must be embarrassing for a coach. Completely outfoxed.
I’m just trying to get get Col Carter on speed dial. Because it seems that you my friend have solved the coaching conundrum that was faced this evening. What’s your going rate? I’m reasonably confident we could afford you but hey, I don’t want to be making any assumptions.

I’m just trying to get get Col Carter on speed dial. Because it seems that you my friend have solved the coaching conundrum that was faced this evening. What’s your going rate? I’m reasonably confident we could afford you but hey, I don’t want to be making any assumptions.
Your responses in this thread have been sad.

Better luck next year.

He was the single reason they lost tonight. Day in day out he gets away with shambolic matchday coaching and no one sees boo about it because he is a media love child. Things he got wrong tonight

- Bilcavs on a wing. Did NOTHING while his obvious matchup in Lynch torched them
- Knew he had to win the game based on tackling yet left guys like Parfitt and Henry play who couldnt tackle a feather. They missed a guy like Scott Selwood putting some pressure on the ball
- Dangerfields rotations were absurd. He spent way too much time up forward in the second half. Ablett also spent way too much time at HFF. Needed to be in the goal square with Hawkins out
- Henderson hasnt played forward for 6 bloody years. Why play him at FF for. He should have been the one attacking the ball on the wing with Ratagoluea deep forward to provide a contest. Henderson can lead okay however he has no leap and no contested marking ability so why have him as the person who gets the ball kicked on his head
- Houli had no one within boo of him. Should have had Atkins lock down on him from the first bounce

I can think of many more things to add but all in all it was the worst coaching performance of the season by any coach.
Worse than anything dished up by Goodwin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Farang, I thought the same watching his presser tonight. Of course it’s every losing coach’s prerogative to be disappointed and maybe internally livid at the result, but what a miserable, bitter and twisted response to the media and the viewers that was. Hardly a single syllable of genuine congratulations to the victor, just loathing of all in his midst and watching. Really poor form I thought.

Agreed. But I doubt anyone in the AFL media world will call him out on it though. He has Robbo and Gerard eating out of his hand on 360.
I thought there was one obvious question to ask him after the game. ' Chris, do you still think Richmond are not as good as they were last year ?'

They had a fair bit of the game today. They just stuffed it with coaching moves if you ask me

How do you go into a game and not play Bilcavs on Lynch? Like I think my 8 year old cousin would spot that, see it is wrong and put Bilcavs on him, why cant Scott

Scotts lack of plan B isnt a knowledge thing, its a arrogance thing. The guy refuses to admit he is wrong or made a wrong decision. He would rather sink with the wrong decision like Bilcavs then correct it mid game. The guy is just genuinely awful and his attitude is a key reason for it

Moving Blicavs from the backline to pretty much any and everywhere for the second half of the season derailed the cats. They went 11-1 with Blicavs at full back. They went 6-7 with him out of there after the bye.

Scott is too stubborn to accept that and refused to go back to it.

Everyone saying Scott has no plan B, his plan B's are the problem.

They don't work.

Mate, how were the boys this week? Were they up and about? You seem to be close to them. Share with me your insights. You’re obviously an astute football follower. Give me the feel. Come on. You know you want to.
When I first saw you post, I assumed that you had accidentally replied to the wrong message...

Then I read the rest of the thread and realised that you were most likely just being a dick. I am not sure how my post offended you, but oh well.

I think an argument could be made that the Geelong list really isn't that good. I mean how many A graders do they really have these days? Their 17-22 players are not of a particularly good standard either.

I mean they are not a bad list, but they are not a list where you look at it and think "wow, their premiership favourites"

Blicavs on the wing, Danger at FF and a flawed game plan for the MCG lays purely at the coach’s feet.

Some could argue list depth and questionable youth, but they have a deep enough midfield to mitigate holes in other parts of the field.

Reporter: "Damien Hardwick spoke very clearly about how he thinks the industry doesn't make enough about finishing top four, and what an achievement it is to make the Prelim Finals, or make a Grand Final. Do you agree with that assessment"

Scott: "Yeah of course I do, everyone in the know thinks that"

Yeah.....of course you would say that.

Coached well in first half or so-slow down chip mark game and high kicks to 20/30 out- bring ball to ground at contest- front and square, scramble a goal. Took out Tigers intercept marking and run.
Was obvious- Tigers realised and readjusted- game over. A lot of passengers for Cats- Dangers worst game in a long time. Ablett should retire- was useless apart from first quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back