Chris Scott - Hold that loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its understandable that Scott was upset during the presser, I wouldn't classify it as 'salt' but as he said this one will stick with them because of the decisions or non-decisions they made. He's angry about that. As for this loss being solely on Scott is hard to say, yeah Danger and Blicavs stick out but many Geelong players didn't come to the party and probably more credit should go to Richmond.

Baffling that when Richmond were getting the run-on at the start of the 3rd quarter we had Danger, Selwood and Stewart on the bench and our full back playing on the wing.

Also baffling that we have youngsters like Buzza who is a KPF and Constable who is a midfielder who were busting a gut in the VFL and would have been more than suitable replacements for Duncan and Hawkins, yet we moved two defenders from the back line in Blicavs and Henderson to the wing and full forward.

Also using dahlhaus as a small half forward was understandable given the players they have in the midfield, but when danger/kelly go forward he needs to spend much more time in the middle. He was an excellent inside midfielder for the bulldogs in their flag year.

he's certainly more of an inside midfielder than blicavs is a winger.

I wonder if Chris Scott is coaching his players to play for free kicks e.g. it is one of Dangerfield's go to plays when playing forward, Miers collapsing after just being brushed; the tendency of Duncan to throw himself forward at virturally every contest; the constant appealing from geelong players for deliberate whenever the ball goes out of play, often by senior players like Selwood and Ablett, which is a really bad look for the game and the club doing this.

All of this contrasts with the incredulous look Chris Scott gives in the coach's box when Tom Lynch takes a clear contested mark in the goal square, as if to say why haven't the umpires picked out a mystifying free kick to award possession back to a geelong player.

Henderson up forward is the most baffling decision of all. Don’t think he would have had a good game as a forward since playing for Carlton.

Scott starts him down there in a prelim with Henderson having hardly played all year. Harry Taylor also kicked 4.2 against the Tigers last time.

Seems like a classic Scott move. Thinking he’s going to look like a genius by having a mediocre player pull something out of his arse. Henderson offered next to nothing.

'
Makes the wrong decisions with the ball. Doesn't kick well for goal. Isn't hard. Goes missing. Hasn't shown any pace this year. He is meehhh.
The best thing about him at the dogs was that he was hard at the ball and ferocious without it, usually winning most contests, if that has gone from his game then he is a nothing player pretty much, his kicking isn't afl standard never has been but played within his limits with his field kicking so could get away with it, his kicking at goal showed what a shocking kick he is, at least you knew he was going to win you a lot of the ball and played with a lot of heart

Last edited:
I wonder if Chris Scott is coaching his players to play for free kicks e.g. it is one of Dangerfield's go to plays when playing forward, Miers collapsing after just being brushed; the tendency of Duncan to throw himself forward at virturally every contest; the constant appealing from geelong players for deliberate whenever the ball goes out of play, often by senior players like Selwood and Ablett, which is a really bad look for the game and the club doing this.

All of this contrasts with the incredulous look Chris Scott gives in the coach's box when Tom Lynch takes a clear contested mark in the goal square, as if to say why haven't the umpires picked out a mystifying free kick to award possession back to a geelong player.

You make it sound like Geelong are the only team that do this. Watch the game this afternoon. I bet there'll be players from both sides appealing for holding the ball and deliberate out of bounds decisions. Hell, a few players might even throw their heads back in a tackle looking for a free for high contact. I suppose Chris Scott would've taught them to do it too.

As for Miers, I don't know about you, but if I was standing there and someone ran past and elbowed me in the back of the neck, I probably would've lost my balance and fell over too.

Henderson up forward is the most baffling decision of all. Don’t think he would have had a good game as a forward since playing for Carlton.

Scott starts him down there in a prelim with Henderson having hardly played all year. Harry Taylor also kicked 4.2 against the Tigers last time.

Seems like a classic Scott move. Thinking he’s going to look like a genius by having a mediocre player pull something out of his arse. Henderson offered next to nothing.
His job was to basically tag Grimes out of the game. He made a reasonable fist of it, Grimes had one of his quietest games of the year. But the fact of the matter is that with Hawkins out Geeelong had to find ways to goal. With Henderson as a defensive forward, all we had to was close Ratogolea down and we had basically wobn the over all defensive battle.

Geelong only ended up kicking 9 goals. Thats not going to win masny games. Particularly at the G' in pristine weather.

His job was to basically tag Grimes out of the game. He made a reasonable fist of it, Grimes had one of his quietest games of the year. But the fact of the matter is that with Hawkins out Geeelong had to find ways to goal. With Henderson as a defensive forward, all we had to was close Ratogolea down and we had basically wobn the over all defensive battle.

Geelong only ended up kicking 9 goals. Thats not going to win masny games. Particularly at the G' in pristine weather.
Yeah Grimes was quiet but they had a 21 point lead. A few marks and goals inside 50 from someone like Taylor and suddenly the Tigers could have been staring at a 5-6 goal deficit.

Yeah Grimes was quiet but they had a 21 point lead. A few marks and goals inside 50 from someone like Taylor and suddenly the Tigers could have been staring at a 5-6 goal deficit.

Absolutely. They should have been out by 30 odd anyway. Blicavs misses an easy one. A few others should've been kicked.

He was the single reason they lost tonight. Day in day out he gets away with shambolic matchday coaching and no one sees boo about it because he is a media love child. Things he got wrong tonight

- Bilcavs on a wing. Did NOTHING while his obvious matchup in Lynch torched them
- Knew he had to win the game based on tackling yet left guys like Parfitt and Henry play who couldnt tackle a feather. They missed a guy like Scott Selwood putting some pressure on the ball
- Dangerfields rotations were absurd. He spent way too much time up forward in the second half. Ablett also spent way too much time at HFF. Needed to be in the goal square with Hawkins out
- Henderson hasnt played forward for 6 bloody years. Why play him at FF for. He should have been the one attacking the ball on the wing with Ratagoluea deep forward to provide a contest. Henderson can lead okay however he has no leap and no contested marking ability so why have him as the person who gets the ball kicked on his head
- Houli had no one within boo of him. Should have had Atkins lock down on him from the first bounce

I can think of many more things to add but all in all it was the worst coaching performance of the season by any coach.

Correct on most points, but Parfitt has been Geelong’s leading tackler this year, and made some crucial ones last night. Henry is also a third tall/back pocket type, so not really sure he's being selected primarily for his tackling ability either.

The usage of Blicavs was way too cute and over-thought. Blicavs' running ability and versatility is a gift and a curse. It allows him to play a number of roles, but also gives his coach too many ideas.

By the way, that's now four top-2 H&A finishes that the Cats have failed to convert into GF appearances under Chris Scott (2013, 2016, 2017, 2019). Not sure what the answer is, but there's a distinct trend of being unable to convert H&A performance into finals success. Is it the different ground dimensions of the MCG, or something else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was the single reason they lost tonight. Day in day out he gets away with shambolic matchday coaching and no one sees boo about it because he is a media love child. Things he got wrong tonight

- Bilcavs on a wing. Did NOTHING while his obvious matchup in Lynch torched them
- Knew he had to win the game based on tackling yet left guys like Parfitt and Henry play who couldnt tackle a feather. They missed a guy like Scott Selwood putting some pressure on the ball
- Dangerfields rotations were absurd. He spent way too much time up forward in the second half. Ablett also spent way too much time at HFF. Needed to be in the goal square with Hawkins out
- Henderson hasnt played forward for 6 bloody years. Why play him at FF for. He should have been the one attacking the ball on the wing with Ratagoluea deep forward to provide a contest. Henderson can lead okay however he has no leap and no contested marking ability so why have him as the person who gets the ball kicked on his head
- Houli had no one within boo of him. Should have had Atkins lock down on him from the first bounce

I can think of many more things to add but all in all it was the worst coaching performance of the season by any coach.
The single reason is Richmond are a better team.

Correct on most points, but Parfitt has been Geelong’s leading tackler this year, and made some crucial ones last night. Henry is also a third tall/back pocket type, so not really sure he's being selected primarily for his tackling ability either.

The usage of Blicavs was way too cute and over-thought. Blicavs' running ability and versatility is a gift and a curse. It allows him to play a number of roles, but also gives his coach too many ideas.

Parfitts tackling numbers are a anamoly to me in that most come from him getting to the ball second and tackling his opponent. He isnt the guy whose going to bring down Dustin Martin, he isnt the guy whose gonna drag Cotchin down when he has no right too. Parfitt isnt a guy I want in the centre bounce, he is too small and opponents will simply run over him which well they did last night.

Parfitt was the most expendable in the sense that they needed a lock down player or two last night and they didnt have anyone to turn too

The jury is probably out on Rohan. But keen to hear your insights on Dalhouse. Enlighten me.

He's decent, but he's a bit too much of an "in between" player. Doesn't get enough of the ball when he plays midfield, doesn't quite create enough or kick many goals as a forward. Very good tackler, but I think you can expect more from him.

Given the way Richmond play also, why the hell would you not have Tom Stewart go to the wing. Richmond skirted the boundaries a lot last night and Stewart up the ground to intercept more would have made a lot of sense. Stewart got lost in the shuffle last night and effectively got dragged away from the ball too easily.

He should have started the game on the wing. He is the most natural Mitch Duncan replacement they had. If Gaff got injured and Eagles had no other midfield options, id suggest we move Brad Sheppard to the wing and not Tom Barass.... so why cant Chris Scott see the same thing from Geelongs perspective

Ignorance is bliss. Happy to elaborate. But first, enlighten me as to how that was a pathetic coaching performance. You know, the performance that saw Geelong within two kicks with 5 minutes to go against a side that was $1.30 on with the bookies to roll us with Hawkins and Duncan out. Yet somehow we found ourselves in it up to our necks. Please, provide me your wisdom.

Could honestly spew reading your posts on this thread. Could you be any more condescending? This sort of posting on Bigfooty is absolute pus

If people really know their football
Enlighten me.
but informed football followers would realise
Please, provide me your wisdom.
Let us bow to your wisdom

Ignorance is bliss. Happy to elaborate. But first, enlighten me as to how that was a pathetic coaching performance. You know, the performance that saw Geelong within two kicks with 5 minutes to go against a side that was $1.30 on with the bookies to roll us with Hawkins and Duncan out. Yet somehow we found ourselves in it up to our necks. Please, provide me your wisdom.

8 goals to 2 in the second half tells us all we need to know

I want to know Chris Scott played Lachie Henderson.

What was his purpose? 5 games this year.

Should have rolled the dice with Rohan. He played well start of the year. Could have been an X Factor last night. Hawkins out would have created space for a guy like that to run and attack the ball in the air. He is a good overhead mark.

Geelong need to get on the trade table. They failed dramatically in not doing so last year. They needed a ruck, any ruck really given how little faith they had in what they already had. While Dalhaus is a okay player, was he necessary? Is he not just filling a role they had a ton of options for? All he did most of the year was keep Sam Menegola out and Menegola is a pretty decent player in his own right. Too good not to be playing AFL week in week out. The obvious answer was Brayden Preuss. Been a failure at the Demons but the guy is a no 1 ruck.

They also needed another midfielder. If you have so little faith in your midfield rotations you move your FB to the wing when only 1 goes down, you must know before Round 1 of this weakness and well fix it? The obvious answer to anyone with half a brain was to play Charlie Constable but given Scott didnt think that was a option, why did he not seek a midfielder instead of Gary Rohan for? Geelong were hardly defunct of mid sized forwards given how often Ablett and Danger play down their. Rohan was just a waste of space. They needed to find a midfielder of any sort they trusted and trade away a first rounder to make it happen

Their time absolutely was now and they sat back and did nothing to improve their chances. Why did they keep Kelly and not then go all in thereafter? It made no sense

Im confident that if Gary Rohan and Luke Dalhaus became Brayden Preuss and Jack Stevens, we are not sitting here with this thread today. They would be in the Grand Final.

I want to know Chris Scott played Lachie Henderson.

What was his purpose? 5 games this year.

Should have rolled the dice with Rohan. He played well start of the year. Could have been an X Factor last night. Hawkins out would have created space for a guy like that to run and attack the ball in the air. He is a good overhead mark.

Hawkins goes out so if you swing one of the backs to forward that means you are making two changes not one. Lachie is a big body who he would have hoped could make a contest and not make too many disruptions to the side. It didn’t really come off but in all honesty I think he was on a hiding to nothing, there’s nothing really the cats could’ve done... play Rohan , nope... play another midfielder, don’t think so.. danger forward all night, even worse

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawkins goes out so if you swing one of the backs to forward that means you are making two changes not one. Lachie is a big body who he would have hoped could make a contest and not make too many disruptions to the side. It didn’t really come off but in all honesty I think he was on a hiding to nothing, there’s nothing really the cats could’ve done... play Rohan , nope... play another midfielder, don’t think so.. danger forward all night, even worse

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So many options inside the team to fix this without Henderson now I think about it. For example,

Play Buzza? The guy kicked 14 goals in his last 5 VFL games. I dont think Henderson has kicked 14 goals in his last 10 years of football

In all honesty the situation is. If Buzza isnt playing last night, he should be delisted by Tuesday. When you are not even chosen as the last resort for your position, why are you on the list for?

Obviously there was the Blicavs eff up again this week, but what i really didn’t understand is the persistance of playing Harry Taylor, at 33 years of age, as a main key defender.

Whilst a brilliant defender in his prime, Taylors shut down ability wasnt his main strength, it was his ability to peel off and take marks(like Mcgovern).

Richmond played 2 ruckmen, with one of them probably resting up forward for chunks of the game. Surely you allow Taylor to play on the weakest tall at an attempt to try maximise his ability to peel off so he can help kade Kolos brother and Blicavs take on Jack and Lynch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back