Rookie
Jul 30, 2003
Bayswater North
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Can someone PLEASE tell me why this guy has such big wraps on him????:confused:

He can take a good mark, and from time to time will kick some goals, but when does he EVER take a team apart like the REALLY GOOD key forwards do (ie/ Lloyd, Lynch, Neitz - when the dud dee midfielders get the ball to him - )
Hell, i'd even rate some of Fevola's games as more damaging than Tarrant's...

If anyone (yes, i'm gonna get cr@p from the Pies fans) can prove otherwise I'd love to know...

Don't get me wrong, Taz could be a decent CHF, but in NO way is he a full forward...

And don't get me started on Leon Davis.... me thinks he's played his last game for the Pies...and who would wanna pick him up in the draft???? GAME OVER?

Tarrant is no better of a player than the mighty Russell Robertson

Collingwood hype builds their players up into something they are not. and Tarrant is not in the Lloyd/Neitz/Lynch league

I'm a fan of taz's but i don't think he's quite the superstar some want him to be. He did have some very impressive h&a stats - most marks?, most assists?, but in the finals he always looked lost and dreamy and didn't relish the responsibility. He's torn the game apart only a few times, and is miles ahead of many teams' wannabe key forwards. But, i would trade 2 Taz's for one lloyd, looking at it all without emotion.

i am a die hard melbourne fan but tarrant is better than robbo

BUT tarrant shouldnt be compared to neitz/lloy/lynch since they are strong tall full forwards

tarrant struggles in that role

he is a much better centre half forward but he had to play full forward since the small forwards sucked, kinnear and walker were usless and well no rocca

I posted this on the collingwood board, bit what the hell.

Please dont judge him on todays game, he wasnt able to use his speed and fitness in the absence of Rocca. He CAN take the contested marks (5th in th AFL this season) Its just that he better suited to making Anthony the marking target after a searching lead. Players dont take 200 marks in a H/A season will just average ability :p

Today there was no flow for collingwood. Forwards are so reliant on the midfield and only very few can take the 50/50 contested ones that can turn a game (Brown is the best at it) The majority of the time, Taz was contesting against both Michael AND Leper, with a Bradshaw or 2 thrown in. He had NO mates up there, the Lions blokes didnt need to worry about anyone taking the big contested grab (Walker or Kinnear anyone? please). Josh was just too buggered to run down there, and we had no crumbers (Dids was ok, but not much else) He also has value in his assists, chasing, desperation etc...

I just dont see any point disrespecting the guy after what he had to deal with today.

Originally posted by Denoz03
Tarrant had a cracker season but didn't fire today. Why are people NOW judging his skills and talent. Please you morons.

Because superstar players fire during big games...see Voss, Ackermanis, and Buckley. To take this point even further players that pride themselves in their performance also try hard to influence a game...see Fraser and Mel Michael. Tarrant let himself and his team down today and if he wants to be compared to superstars he needs to perform on big stage...

I have nothing but admiration for both Buckley and Fraser they really tried their guts out despite not being backed up by their teammates especially David Cloke who quit on his team.

How pi#sed off would Collingwood be though they let both Michael and Matthews skip town and in return they picked up Molloy...

Point one: Chris Tarrent is only 22. I do think it is a little early in his career to call him a superstar. But he has had an awesome year and has the potential to have a stellar career.

Point two: On today's performance, he did struggle without Rocca there. Rocca and he share the load pretty well in the forward line, so with Rocca out Tarrent found himself in a position where he had to carry the load himself. Add to that he had to contend with Michaels, Leppitch, Bradshaw and White all rotating on him, which they could do with Rocca not there.

Chris Tarrent is an awesome player. He didn't have a good game, but he wasn't alone. Bucks, by his standards, didn't have a good game, but are you going to tell me he isn't a superstar, or can't perform in the big games?

Originally posted by rychenroller

(Dids was ok, but not much else)

You do make some good points and whilst Tarrant is a good player he is not a superstar he has been made out to be. Superstars do not need Anthony Rocca to hold their heads. Superstars play with pride and passion on the last Saturday in september regrdless what others do, see Buckley or Jonathon Brown.

On that point how great was Brown. I mean he was absolutely polaxed in first 30 seconds yet by the end of the game he took, ay 6 or 7 marks with eyes always on the ball and not on three men about to collapse on him He never once flinched.

Tarrant could learn a lot from Brown.

As far as Didak was concerned he did kick two/three goals. However they were cheap goals and he really did not work hard to get them. Also his direct opponenet for much of the match was an absolute general in the back half, ie Chris Johnson, and Didak was never accountable.

Originally posted by no1bankteller

How pi#sed off would Collingwood be though they let both Michael and Matthews skip town and in return they picked up Molloy...

Ohh and I forgot Gabby Allen....who built the whole Brisbane team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarrant plays half foward, not full foward like lloyd or lynch, so i dont know why you are comparing him with them. He plays his best football around the fifty, not deep in it. He had to play deep today because collingwood basically didnt have anyone else.

Originally posted by no1bankteller
You do make some good points and whilst Tarrant is a good player he is not a superstar he has been made out to be. Superstars do not need Anthony Rocca to hold their heads. Superstars play with pride and passion on the last Saturday in september regrdless what others do, see Buckley or Jonathon Brown.

On that point how great was Brown. I mean he was absolutely polaxed in first 30 seconds yet by the end of the game he took, ay 6 or 7 marks with eyes always on the ball and not on three men about to collapse on him He never once flinched.

Tarrant could learn a lot from Brown.

As far as Didak was concerned he did kick two/three goals. However they were cheap goals and he really did not work hard to get them. Also his direct opponenet for much of the match was an absolute general in the back half, ie Chris Johnson, and Didak was never accountable.

I agree....Brown is the player you would die for. But Tarrant doesnt have the Brown/Carey type physique. Taz is being called a fullforward, when in reality he is a halfforward, almost a winger. but a damn good one in my eyes. Rocca is our equivalent to Brown and Taz was unsuited to that role (taking the 50/50 contested) Especially with the feed from the midfield he got today (almost non existent)

And yeah, accountability isnt Dids strong suit. He did get a score on the board, but maybe in turn, they were glorified. But really, he wasnt alone in that department at all. Johnson ran off half back beautifully today and set up numerous forays. I thought we would see Rhyce or Johnno doing it for us. Johnno was ok, Rhyce was burnt by the pressure.

Originally posted by rychenroller
I agree....Brown is the player you would die for. But Tarrant doesnt have the Brown/Carey type physique. Taz is being called a fullforward, when in reality he is a halfforward, almost a winger. but a damn good one in my eyes.

Ok fully support your views regarding Tarrant not having a physicue to crash packs and I do think that his more natural game is one of a flanker. What did dissappoint me about Tarrant was that he was not relentless at his attack on the ball.

I remember Brett Heady for WCE back in late 80's and early 90's he was a human catapult. He just put his body on the line time and time again and would sooner get steamrolled then quite. Now Heady was some 10-15 kilos lighter then Tarrant and probably 8-10 cm shorter, but his commitment was could not be faulted. Based on Tarrants performance today he should watch a few tapes of Brett Heady over the coming weeks just to learn about commitment for our club, your footy and your team mates. (mind you so should few other Collingwood players too)

Or alternativelly if they do not wish to watch WCE types they should just watch Fraser today, the guy was inspirational, or even Darren Millane's performance in 90 GF. Actually while they have the vid on they may as well look at Breretton in 89 Grand Final too....

Tarrant should be put at CHF and leave him there, because he isn't going to be a good Full Forward, unless he starts bagging more then 3 goals a game. Sure that would be a good bag for a CHF, but not a Full forward. I think what Collingwood needs is a decent Forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Tarrant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back