Clarkson claims the Hawks will get better - Clarkson is wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Clarkson has said that the hawks will be strengtened by the returns of Vandenberg and Clarke in the next couple of weeks, and Williams and Boyle to follow soon after. It is my sincere opinion that Vanders and Clarke will drag down the team's on-field perfomance, and Williams has the potential to disrupt the forward structure that has developed in his absence.

Vandenberg - from all accounts a great leader, but he is no good on field. A few players may be inspired by his presence, but it's a very dangerous (to Hawthorn) 20-25 touches he will get in the 2-3 weeks it will take him to find form.

Clarke - great endurance, what else? The opposition knows he can only kick 30 metres, so they push back as soon as he's got it. He is known as a tagger but is miles behind Sewell which makes you wonder who would go out of the team? Another leader but who goes out of the side? Ellis? Ladson? These guys are performing well!

Williams - fantastic player that is used to being the focal point. He is not a selfish player, but having been out of the side he would also take a few weeks to grow into his role. How many players can the side nurse back from injury at the same time? Who do you take out of the forward line setup? Dixon, Roughy, Thorpy, Franklin (I know, won't happen, they'll probably play him down back)

Boyle - can't wait to get him back.

Competition for spots is a brilliant thing for any side - but who loses their spot in the team for these guys?

Ive got a feeling that Collingwood may experience a similar debalancing from long-term injuries returning to a side performing well on the back of renewed enthusiam and teamship.

Clarkson has said that the hawks will be strengtened by the returns of Vandenberg and Clarke in the next couple of weeks, and Williams and Boyle to follow soon after. It is my sincere opinion that Vanders and Clarke will drag down the team's on-field perfomance, and Williams has the potential to disrupt the forward structure that has developed in his absence.

Boyle is obvious - the sooner the better.

I think that Vanders is a good influence spirit wise and I think that Williams will slot in fine - he's clever, quick and now won't have the best opposition backman on him. Our forward line will be very dangerous.

Clarke will really need to show something to get back in- I agree on that one.

It can be suggested that currently the Hawks have an embarrassment of riches but there's no way you could say that Williams in the team would not be beneficial, the guy oozes class and would be a walk up start in every team in the comp IMO

Vandenberg - from all accounts a great leader, but he is no good on field. A few players may be inspired by his presence, but it's a very dangerous (to Hawthorn) 20-25 touches he will get in the 2-3 weeks it will take him to find form.

Clarke - great endurance, what else? The opposition knows he can only kick 30 metres, so they push back as soon as he's got it. He is known as a tagger but is miles behind Sewell which makes you wonder who would go out of the team? Another leader but who goes out of the side? Ellis? Ladson? These guys are performing well!

Williams - fantastic player that is used to being the focal point. He is not a selfish player, but having been out of the side he would also take a few weeks to grow into his role. How many players can the side nurse back from injury at the same time? Who do you take out of the forward line setup? Dixon, Roughy, Thorpy, Franklin (I know, won't happen, they'll probably play him down back)

Boyle - can't wait to get him back.

Competition for spots is a brilliant thing for any side - but who loses their spot in the team for these guys?

Ive got a feeling that Collingwood may experience a similar debalancing from long-term injuries returning to a side performing well on the back of renewed enthusiam and teamship.
True as far as Pies go, but Mick has said they will play Willi before returning and gain some form/fitness. No way we don't want Prseti, Rhyce and Clement back. What is big Als plan for return of your players, not straight back in surely, modern footy is increasingly a place where the unfit get found out.

Who cares! - Hawthorn Board please

Just because the Tigers are only concerned with winning the 2007 Kreuzer Cup, it does not mean that people can't discuss the injury list and inclusions of the team placed 2nd on the ladder.

This is very relevant to the season. We have five players currently not in the team, all have been strong contributors, yet the 22 current players are doing the job. There is a bit of a selection dilemma.

The only thing stopping Hawthorns forward line from tearing different backlines new ringholes is by
A) Injuries
B) Sending Thorp to CHB or heck in the middle.
C) Buddy decides chasing chicks is hell of a lot more exciting them chasing some stupid red thing
D) All of the above.

Just because the Tigers are only concerned with winning the 2007 Kreuzer Cup, it does not mean that people can't discuss the injury list and inclusions of the team placed 2nd on the ladder.

This is very relevant to the season. We have five players currently not in the team, all have been strong contributors, yet the 22 current players are doing the job. There is a bit of a selection dilemma.

Hardly.

Discussion about ins and outs for the Hawks (or for any other side) is as boring as...

Boyle is obvious - the sooner the better.

I think that Vanders is a good influence spirit wise and I think that Williams will slot in fine - he's clever, quick and now won't have the best opposition backman on him. Our forward line will be very dangerous.

Clarke will really need to show something to get back in- I agree on that one.

Spot on.

-Willo and Boyle can only be positive.
-Vanders I think is important. His efficiency may not be the greatest of all time but his presence on the field and guidance for the younger blokes can't be underestimated. Also he is able to take a tackle and get the hands free which can't be underestimated.
-Tim Clarke i'm bias im just not a fan of his. I don't think he is AFL standard but is obviously highly respected by clarko and the playing group. Will be interesting to see where he is slotted in if/when he gets back. I would hate to see ellis/ladson/young loose their position in the team for a bloke that doesnt have a strong physical presence, can't kick over 40/45 metres, doesn't have a penetrating kick and although everyone talks about his speed I don't actually believe he is that quick, maybe endurance wise but give me franklin/willo/bateman/young/mcglynn over him any day for straight line speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vanders and Clarke provide leadership and spirit. Williams will slot in fine although he might edge Dixon out. Add Boyle and Osbourne and we should be pretty well set up for finals.

HF: McGlynn, Franklin, Osbourne
F: Williams, Roughead, Boyle

IN
Williams, Boyle, Osbourne

Out
Dixon, Thorp

then what are you doing here..

anyway.. we had ruffy, buddy dicko and willo in for our 1st 5 games of the year, abd we had boyle too, so i dont see a problem with willo coming back into our foward he will give guys like buddy and ruffy less pressure

vanders is vital to our structere if we are guna make through to our 1st finals appearance since 2001

clarke, well i think we dont have much room for him any more, since benny has taken his spot, and also benny is a lot tougher and more skilled than clarke..

Jealousy. After Hawthorn and Richmond changed coaches in late 2004, Hawthorn was widely ridiculed for their picks, 12 months on Hawthorn was criticised for trading Thompson and Hay. Richmond finished 9th. Was widely tipped to finish in the 8 in 2007. In 2007, Richmond has been a disaster, 1 win and a draw. Who is doing better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson claims the Hawks will get better - Clarkson is wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back