Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko is a legend of our club. From the moment he stepped into the role he had the club’s best interests at heart and mind. He embraced us and we embraced him.

It was time for him to move on and his greatest strength also proved to be thorn in his and the club’s side. No one handled the handover well. It was messy. But it was always going to be messy because no matter what anyone thinks everyone was trying to be as respectful to the other party as possible.

Time for everyone to move on and get behind Sam and the club. I’m sure if we got flogged the pro clarko mob would have stunk up this thread much the same way as the pro Kennett mob.

I think the day I watched Clarko strumming a guitar and making the kids and 1-2 year players knock on people's doors and sing Xmas carols on their front garden, thought it was very strange. The kids and 1-2 yr players were uncomfortable and felt silly. I didn't know what he wanted to achieve??? I think raised alarm bells for me. It was cheesy and I couldn't for the life of me think any of the successful coaches of the past needed to do this. I still find this and making Stratton capt to be very odd in the last reign of his tenure. The constant need for themes and inventing is a bit old now.

I think the day I watched Clarko strumming a guitar and making the kids and 1-2 year players knock on people's doors and sing Xmas carols on their front garden, thought it was very strange. The kids and 1-2 yr players were uncomfortable and felt silly. I didn't know what he wanted to achieve??? I think raised alarm bells for me. It was cheesy and I couldn't for the life of me think any of the successful coaches of the past needed to do this. I still find this and making Stratton capt to be very odd in the last reign of his tenure. The constant need for themes and inventing is a bit old now.
What made him so good was that he challenged the status quo, was unpredictable and didn't just copy the front running teams. The flip side to that is not every new idea was gold and when he didn't stick the landing the result just looked perplexing.

No idea what the carolling video was meant to achieve.

Hated that stuff, have posted before about it - it was too cringeworthy to watch and the last thing a first year player needs is to be publicly humiliated through corny club videos. Can only imagine the pressure they'd have felt to do it as well, not too many draftees are saying no to one of the most famous sports identities in the past 2 decades.

Hated that stuff, have posted before about it - it was too cringeworthy to watch and the last thing a first year player needs is to be publicly humiliated through corny club videos. Can only imagine the pressure they'd have felt to do it as well, not too many draftees are saying no to one of the most famous sports identities in the past 2 decades.
It's weird what happens to a coach as they go through their evolutions.

I've often compared Clarkson to Malthouse and Sheedy. All three of them won flags as relatively young coaches being absolutely ruthless. And then won another couple of flags when they'd matured into a kind of second evolution, then after that they move so far from what initially brought them success they're completely unrecognisable as a force to be reckoned with.

Regardless of anything else said in this thread, performances from 2019-2021 were pretty damning for Clarko and it was the right choice to move him on.
Well, no! Clarko coached and made up the list. It had a good season finish!

But the way Hawthorn massacred the manner in which they handled the debacle last year with Clarko /Sam / kennett /Reeves /Collingwood?????, had lots of members very angry.

Clarko like Buddy will never leave the building!

It sounds like you would feel publicly humiliated by this type of challenge?
If you understand that challenge is what it was?

In fact maybe harder for those young players to do something like that, than cover the Kokoda track, when you understand difficulty in degrees is a learning curve to take up anything you are asked, that is the plan of intelligent minded, people handlers, which the coaches have to be.

Now why do you reckon something like that would be done?

I'd say if you blokes want to prove you can stand up to anything even if it makes you feel very uncomfortable , then I will request of you to prove it, now go make a yob of yourself singing, and follow through , lets see the character of those who can take the nonsense of challenges.
Now BF boys and girls , go and sing outside some childrens school or house , and prepare to look stupid.
Its called character building, maybe better success than an ex St Kilda coach who took all the boys to the movies.

Character building ???
Your paid 900k a year and you feel smart by grabbing some kids fresh out of school and stick em on someone's front lawn and sing Xmas carols ???
That's character building??
Seriously?
Wouldn't helping out in a soup kitchen at 1am on the cold streets of Melbourne with homeless people who have a blanket and no food and sleeping rough.....wouldn't that be a life lesson in itself ?
Wouldn't it be more constructive knocking on an old diggers door and saying mate we are here to mow your lawn and clean your gutters and here is my number if you need us to do anything that you cant.
Wouldn't that be more of a life lesson?

Character building ???
Your paid 900k a year and you feel smart by grabbing some kids fresh out of school and stick em on someone's front lawn and sing Xmas carols ???
That's character building??
Seriously?
Wouldn't helping out in a soup kitchen at 1am on the cold streets of Melbourne with homeless people who have a blanket and no food and sleeping rough.....wouldn't that be a life lesson in itself ?
Wouldn't it be more constructive knocking on an old diggers door and saying mate we are here to mow your lawn and clean your gutters and here is my number if you need us to do anything that you cant.
Wouldn't that be more of a life lesson?
Anything outside a person's usual "comfort zone" can be character building.
There would have been good reason for everything Clarko did, even if it was just learning more about the new guys.

In my imagination he had to be talked out of making them all dress up as elves too.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isn't the idea of todays thinking that you let the person be comfortable and authentic ...ala Matthew Scarlett who spoke rarely.....Bruce Doull did he even speak ??.. ....Michael Tuck...same
This was the problem at the end.
Forcing situations that didn't make sense.
We don't all need to be tough as Tarzan.
Outwit and outplay........what do they say ...the quiet ones are always the ones to be careful of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko & Robert De Niro have similar paths.......started out with Taxi Driver, Cape Fear, Godfather, Deer Hunter........but as time goes on and things change....you end up making Rocky & Bullwinkle , Little Fockers, Dirty Grandpa.
Rate this 👆👆👆👆

Clarko was a generational coaching talent that inspired love and fear and got the very best out of everyone . He coached 4 flags and 17 years. His assistants then coached the next 5 flags after his three peat.
Anyone who thinks he is not an elite genius because of a guitar episode has no idea. As with all genius it is not easily understood by us mortals - just look at the outcomes.

Just like Sheedy after 4 flags, his last 5 years just went downhill rapidly. The game passed him by and his defensive gameplan was picked apart and stripped our players of any flair.

Still, you take the 4 flags to your grave.

Hope he doesn't coach again. I reckon he'd be better off doing something else in the latter part of his professional career.

No one is disputing he took the club to the highest level....take a breath !
No one is disputing that he was the best coach in the comp during his early- mid tenure.
But how come TOB gifted the no 23 couldn't get to the next level.....if your a genius coach...MAKE THE BREAK THROUGH !!!!!

Why did Jordan Lewis say Clarko kept ringing Buddy on his holidays after the season wanting to know whether he was staying or going.

Jordan said it pissed Buddy off.......his words not mine!.

No one is disputing he took the club to the highest level....take a breath !
No one is disputing that he was the best coach in the comp during his early- mid tenure.
But how come TOB gifted the no 23 couldn't get to the next level.....if your a genius coach...MAKE THE BREAK THROUGH !!!!!

Why did Jordan Lewis say Clarko kept ringing Buddy on his holidays after the season wanting to know whether he was staying or going.

Jordan said it pissed Buddy off.......his words not mine!.

You sound like you jumped on the bandwagon in 2016.......

Clarko & Robert De Niro have similar paths.......started out with Taxi Driver, Cape Fear, Godfather, Deer Hunter........but as time goes on and things change....you end up making Rocky & Bullwinkle , Little Fockers, Dirty Grandpa.
Replace Cape fear with Raging Bull and you're on point!

No bandwagons here mate . Been a true supporter. Went to the footy as a kid and was there the day at princes park when it went nuts Bruns went down.....would walk side by side every game at princes park with jeansy when after the siren they would walk across the ground to the players race trying to avoid kids and footballs being kicked around. Jeansy had such a powerful aura. No bandwagons mate. No one is disputing the man and the greatness...fact;....but the games change ...people change its not a personal attack....it's observation. Observation-. No Gatorade.......to now Gatorade shower. No long sleeves........now long sleeves........Sam asked about Chad and long sleeves ..."I want Chad to be comfortable in who he is........that's when he plays his best footy. ... ..basically couldnt care about sleeves on a jumpers. It's a form of control....dive deeper. Knocking on a door when your on your holidays is a form of control. When people lose control it unravels. whispers of him talking badly to staff and tantrums.. but it's over and who cares I just want my players happy and seeing Ward and McDonald is so exciting . Personally I think Clarko will struggle coaching newbie kids. Coach just out of AFL says kids today don't have fear of coaches like old days it's all about why ...why are you playing me here....why can't I play there ...they aren't intimidated by powerful coaches. He said it finds coaches out. It's frustrating. Leppa struggled when that kid would always challenge him. ...they nearly come to blows. He said coaches today are going to have the hardest job as each kid has their own ideas about the game. I don't think Clarko has the patience. That's why there has been no growth out of certain players like Worpel...Lewis ..Morrison. I see instantly Lewis and Morrison look refreshed and been in our best players. No bandwagons here mate. .....and I hate Geelong more than anyone on here and I am anticipating this game coming Come on Sam stick it up em.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back