News Clarkson news, media etc - he’s off into the Sunset!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been very nervous about this and spent the last 24 hours trying to convince myself this is a good decision. A few points i have concluded.

1. Even the greatest coaches have an end date. If you take the attachement we all have to Clarkson based on what he has done for us. Sheedy and Mathews fizzled out and were no longer able to be innovative and driven coaches to win premierships. Clarkson hasn't won a final in 6 years and has had 2 bottom 4 finishes. I personally would back him in for another rebuild but it's no gaurantee.

2. For those questioning if Mitchell is ready in 18 months...Collingwood think he is ready now. West Coast players consider him a key part of the 2018 flag, Scofield said he is the best assistant he's seen in his 14 years. He is 7-2 in the VFL and has looked impressive.

So many of us, "want both" like that taco add. Whilst it's going to take some adjustment, I anticipate the melts would've been epic if Sam was poached by another club at seasons end ... and that was definitely on the cards! He's been touted as a prodigy when it comes to coaching. The biggest sporting club in Australia was making a play at him. Think about it!

Nobody likes change & whilst the club could choose to nestle in the warmth of Clarko & 4 premierships whilst we rebuild, they've formulated a plan to take us to our next piece of silverware and they're running with it! Good on them.

The HFC is a business & they've made a tough business decision NOT based on emotion. We on the other hand are supporters, so everything we do tends to be based on emotion. I'm trying to step back and breathe.

Remember, a lot of people laughed at us when we appointed AC. No one's laughing now. Let's hope Sam is another shrewd move. Only time will tell. Just let it play out. It's out of your control.

I believe most supporters would have expected something along these lines when Sam was announced as coming back.
Maybe not as soon as this though...

Personally not happy with the way the situation has unfolded, but it was going to happen at some stage.
2022 is going to be a strange year.

But it is what it is. Onwards and upwards !!
Go The Mighty Hawks !

Whatever is left in Clarkos tank now, he will be running on fumes at the end of 2022.
I'm hoping he gives it all he's got for a grand finale and that it begins a new emerging Hawthorn dynasty.
Excited to see how he takes the game on from here

What would you prefer - mature adult conversations being had now about what the club should do in 2023 or ham fisting it and having Mitchell take the Collingwood job and stuffing up the coaching transition like we did the Gaudry appointment?
Out of interest, why did you decide to join this forum yesterday afternoon and then post 47 times in a day defending the club’s decision to bin Clarkson?

‘I was looking for some online material but in the Jeff.com election kennet was making some older ministers (who incidentally would be rivals for his job) resign to make for ‘renewal’ of younger people in the party and ministry after his inevitable election win.

so how good does today’s Victorian liberal party look in terms of ability? The NSW libs would be happy about it cos their idea of national government is NSW centric

Jeff seems overly obsessed with managing renewal and change, strange that most things point to him being not very good at it

It's not clear to me but I suspect you really don't like Kennett.

If all three parties are agreeable, then no problem. I don't want to see a Collingwood succession situation where Malthouse was clearly not happy. Can you imagine if everything went well in 2022 and the Hawks finished top 4. Would Clarko feel as though he is being robbed of the chance to take the group to the next step? As a supporter, not sure if I'm comfortable watching the Hawks knowing Clarko won't be there in 2023, irrespective of how we play.

Clarko will have the reigns over game-day tactics, medium term game-plans and strategies etc. With this in mind, where does everyone sit on how Clarkson coaches next year re: selection and gameplan?

A) Clarkson cares about wins and losses again next year. Clarkson brews up a storm all summer and tries to go out with a bang in '22 on-field. Pulls everything out to at least play finals with some of the guys he recruited across, e.g. Jaeger, Chad. There is only so much you can do as a coach (its not like you can easily design set plays like NFL), but do it all, even if it compromises the development of some younger players because they're not getting as many games as they would with a development mindset. Development still takes place at training of course, and Mitchell can focus on development in the VFL as well.​
B) Clarkson forgets wins and losses again next year, focusing purely on development, getting games in to youngsters. Players could potentially be confused by messaging when going back and forth between VFL and AFL and future and present coaches, or messaging could be highly consistent and in unison removing this confusion.​
C) _____?​

Sam will have more responsibility over list management and recruiting. With this in mind, where does everyone sit with how Sam builds relationships with senior players next year that he won't be coaching until '22. Where does everyone sit with him going out and recruiting players that he won't be coaching until '22? To me, this choice is much more simple (A).

A) Commences meetings with them very soon to discuss their long-term plans and whether or not they want to stick around to play under him, potentially causing them to move on sooner. Commences recruitment, potentially bringing in players keen to play for him after a year with Clarko.​
B) Does not commence meetings with current senior players until end of '22 when he officially starts, potentially causing unrest to develop. Commences recruitment when he is actually in the job.​
C) _____?​

Clarko could not commit long-term (2025 and beyond), which is fair enough given how long he's been in the game.

The club wanted long term stability in order to move through this rebuilding period - and given Clarko couldn't commit longer-term it was decide a that Mitchell would take over. The club took the long-term option. This move was accelerated due to Collingwood wanting Mitchell.

Be assured that Clarko and the rest of the club believe in Mitchell.
Fair enough that Clarko cannot commit long term as a coach, I’m glad that it’s Mitchell not someone else that we might not be happy with and it does feel like this has been in the works for few years. But surely we can offer Clarko a director or head of football role rather than letting him walk away, he is definitely attached to the club and majority of us fans are attached to him. I don’t think money is his priority and with that role he will have a balanced life style, time to spend with family and friends etc. and also be around the club.

I was always worried about who was going to coach Hawthorn post Clarko.
I’m not anymore.

The best coach around will be replaced by arguably the best assistant around. How can that be a bad thing?

Have you not been paying attention? I think the phrase was "complete disaster." How can this possibly be a good thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko could not commit long-term (2025 and beyond), which is fair enough given how long he's been in the game.

The club wanted long term stability in order to move through this rebuilding period - and given Clarko couldn't commit longer-term it was decide a that Mitchell would take over. The club took the long-term option. This move was accelerated due to Collingwood wanting Mitchell.

Be assured that Clarko and the rest of the club believe in Mitchell.
But of course this isn't what media and some on here WANT to believe.
So the bullshit speculation will continue for at least the next 18 months.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feels like everyone is so worried about the what if doom and gloom - what if it’s a celebration of clarkos last year and all players embrace it and Mitchell and clarko get the club humming for the future - because we have geared up via the draft the last 3 years for said thing…

I can already see another 10 clubs copying the same thing as us if it works…

1. Clarko wanted the best for Hawthorn.
2. Clarko could not commit beyond 2022 and may even be getting tired.
3. Clarko knew the best coach for Hawthorn if he could not commit was Sam Mitchell.
4. Collingwood wanted Sam Mitchell.
5. Clarko approached the club to give the Hawks a chance to keep him and make its decision.

I think everyone approached it very well. We get the best post-Clarkson coach we could have hoped for.

And swapped him for a guy who has been coaching a vfl side for 4 months.

Don't get me wrong, I want Mitchell to coach this club at some stage, but I think it's a little early. Mitchell is my favourite player of all time (along with Sewell), but Clarkson should've been able to choose when he wanted to go and Mitchell probably needs an extra year or two longer (2024-2025).

I get that part of Sam going to WC was to play, start as an assistant coach, and then likely return to coach at Hawthorn, but still..

I hope I'm wrong and this works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back