Recommitted Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030] - clubs are interested, Melbourne willing for the right price

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing Carlton is not lacking is inside mids.
Yes, I'm aware of this.

Melbourne needs a key forward. A quick glance at this year's Coleman tally:

Curnow - not going anywhere (club choice)
Walker - old
Larkey - not going anywhere (club choice)
Greene - short and old
C.Cameron - short and not going anywhere (club/his choice)
J.Cameron - old and not going anywhere (his choice)
Allen - not going anywhere (his/club choice)
Langford - what?
Daniher - lol
Hawkins - old
Breust - what?
Mihocek - not going anywhere
Naughton - first viable option

Options are REALLY thin. I have no doubt that Melbourne could pry Lynch away from Richmond as your fellow Swans supporter suggested but Melbourne would be wanting something to go along with that. It would also mean no more flags for Clarry.

Naughton would be a pretty decent upgrade on whatever Melbourne have left in their forward line. Clarry would also beef up the Bulldogs' midfield in a big way. Gut feel says the Bulldogs would need to give something to Melbourne to make that work but Melbourne are in a strange position where it's forward or bust so the Bulldogs could reasonably twist the Demons down to make it work.

I don't think such a trade would happen but options are pretty thin for Melbourne.

There is no feasible reason for Melbourne in a premiership window to let a top 5 player in the comp who is contracted through to 2030 go.
well... unless there really was something to the smoke around the very weird, very long injury fire that blew up earlier this year

If there is anything to the story, then something has happened within Melbourne or something off field with with Clarry?

You’d normally just ignore such talk, but because it’s come from Twomey & Beveridge, who aren’t generally the industries sensational journalists, makes you think that something might be in it, even though like others have said with the costs being so high, nothing will happen. But in 10 years someone might tell an interesting story about this moment.

You can keep saying Melbourne would refuse to trade him, but at the end of the day if a player requests a trade, teams always listen to offers.

When was the last time a player asked to be traded and the club refused to even negotiate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Carlton wernt stacked with mids they could swap Mckay for Oliver
Think Clarry is still worth more than McKay, Clarry is a blue chip mid - set and forget type player that makes every midfield instantly better.

Harry is a blue chip forward, who also makes your side instantly better however you still need to get the pill to him for him to have an influence.

Generating effective clearance like Clarry, JDG, Trac, Bont, Butters, Cripps, Neale, Serong, Rowell, Anderson, Libba etc.

That's worth so much more.

Besides, Melbourne are not going to let him go! From what I understand, this is other clubs enquiring about Clarry, not Melbourne or Clarry's management shopping him around right? If this is the case, then how is this news? Might as well open a speculative thread for Charlie Curnow, Marcus Bontempelli and Nick Daicos as well!

I suppose he can come to Collingwood and once we get him in our system and remove the Melbourne out of him, he will be better for it.

Our first rounder, with Melbourne paying part of his salary, sounds fair ;).

Ask for the trade Clarry :thumbsu:

I was half listening to the conversation. We’re they intimating that he wasn’t entirely happy/some disconnect with regards to his medical treatment throughout the year?
Probably irrelevant anyway. Would need to be significantly disgruntled and agitating to leave if Melbourne were to even consider it. Would need to be player driven. Even if some tension, I’d imagine club would back themselves to smooth things over. Have plenty of time to do it with that contract

I wonder if we could encourage Koschitzke to move to Melbourne.

Straight swap would be fair for both parties. Would even chuck in Fergus Greene as a bit of a bonus to help out their forward line

You can keep saying Melbourne would refuse to trade him, but at the end of the day if a player requests a trade, teams always listen to offers.

When was the last time a player asked to be traded and the club refused to even negotiate?
When was the last time a player of his level (top 5 player in the league) in his prime that was contracted for 6 more years requested a trade though?

Would be surely completely unprecedented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030] - clubs are interested, Melbourne willing for the right price

Remove this Banner Ad

Back