Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL journos know the ins and outs of Melbourne's issues behind the scenes. They knew about Collingwood's GM of Footy quitting this year and the machinations of that. They knew every detail about Essendon's TB4 saga.

But a multi season cap cover up by the AFL... Tumbleweeds apparently.

They knew about Stengle too....where did that go?
They know about Oliver too....where will that go?

Concerned about this if true as all I've heard about his form (rarely watch Demons games) in the last couple of seasons is that his body is cooked.

If that's the case then this is not a step in the right direction for Geelong. Great player but if his best is behind him then looking to snare a quality player in relatively good health would be a better option.

It's Melbourne's right to hold him to his contract. But when something causing major issues it's normally best to move on from it.

How'd that work out for you?
Not sure what you're getting at. Everyone that wanted to leave, i.e. Ryder, Carlisle, Crameri, Melksham and Hibberd all got traded. We didn't force them to stay?

It really doesn't bother me all that much. We always rely more on free agency than the draft..
So 1.3mil or so over what is it 6 years or something, basically taking the entire risk off Melbourne, probably for an early 2nd rounder at the least.

Theres a reason Melbourne would give him up, would you want to tie up that much salary for that?

You wont be getting many free agents with no salary cap space

So 1.3mil or so over what is it 6 years or something, basically taking the entire risk off Melbourne, probably for an early 2nd rounder at the least.

Theres a reason Melbourne would give him up, would you want to tie up that much salary for that?

You wont be getting many free agents with no salary cap space

I dunno i am not a player manager working for Geelong.. My guess is they would restructure and add clauses into his contract. That contract will work against Melbourne. If Geelong did take on the full contract, Melbourne will get SFA...

Concerned about this if true as all I've heard about his form (rarely watch Demons games) in the last couple of seasons is that his body is cooked.

If that's the case then this is not a step in the right direction for Geelong. Great player but if his best is behind him then looking to snare a quality player in relatively good health would be a better option.
His body only looked cooked this year. He had a severely interrupted preseason and never got into shape.

I'd back him to turn it around next year.

Hope this happens, will blow up in Geelongs face one way or another. If it doesn’t happen then it will show they can’t get deals done, if it happens then they are stuck with a 1.3m contract on a bloke who can’t run out a quarter.

Hope this happens, will blow up in Geelongs face one way or another. If it doesn’t happen then it will show they can’t get deals done, if it happens then they are stuck with a 1.3m contract on a bloke who can’t run out a quarter.
Luckily they're paring him with someone who likes to go under the radar hates drugs and attention 🤥

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne are shopping Oliver around. There's zero currency that any club pays market value for him. He's only getting a future second and paying half he's wage, wherever he goes. No clubs paying multiple firsts to take on the risk of he's contract and off field stuff.

If he gets a full preseason in and commits to footy full time he might be okay. Just remember he sacrificed he's own reputation this year for Melbourne by playing the season with zero pre season and playing injured.

So the journos are contradicting themselves less than a month after this has come out??

Clarrie on $1.3m now, but $1.1m for this article?

Probably a lot of ballpark correct guesses here, with an equal amount of stab in the dark bullshit.

None of this is locked in accurate, lol.

The HUN, please.
It may not be highly accurate but it's ballpark enough for the discussion point raised

Melbourne are shopping Oliver around. There's zero currency that any club pays market value for him. He's only getting a future second and paying half he's wage, wherever he goes. No clubs paying multiple firsts to take on the risk of he's contract and off field stuff.

If he gets a full preseason in and commits to footy full time he might be okay. Just remember he sacrificed he's own reputation this year for Melbourne by playing the season with zero pre season and playing injured.

Been reported Dees aren’t interested in paying anything if he goes. So Cats will need to pickup the tab if he does.

Letting it leak that he was invited down to Rhys’s farm was a mistake as it has shown how much skin in the game Geelong have now.

Been reported Dees aren’t interested in paying anything if he goes. So Cats will need to pickup the tab if he does.

Letting it leak that he was invited down to Rhys’s farm was a mistake as it has shown how much skin in the game Geelong have now.

Why?? If Geelong takes his contract why would Melbourne get anything of value in return?? It doesn't make sense..

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back