Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Man some of the opinions here are laughably Ill informed. Running with a media narrative that suits what you want to believe is not a fact.
Anyone here suggesting that Clarry is cooked after one bad season with an injury and no preseason just doesn't watch Melbourne play.
Prior to this year he was the most consistent inside mid in the competition and the only question mark was disposal which he had markedly improved.
Melbourne don't HAVE to trade him. And why if they do they have chosen Geelong is beyond me. But if Geelong were prepared to trade a first rounder for Smith with his disposal that probably makes Oliver worth more - behaviour issues or not.
Bailey Smith doesn't come with one of the biggest contracts in the league hanging around his neck. If Clayton was out of contract the cost would be wildly different.

Melbourne hasn't chosen Geelong, Clayton has. Melbourne don't get much of a say when you aren't allowed to trade players without their consent. They can come to a deal with Geelong or hang onto him.
Maybe he comes good and all this can be put behind them, or we are back here next year and the offers probably even lower

If he has a full pre-season he will be back playing very good footy. He was just unfit this year, it was clear to see.

And if I knew tomorrow’s lottery numbers I’d win division 1! You can only pay on exposed, current form, not what he may produce. And you clearly ignored the off field stuff.
LOL thats just disrespectful to the Dees. If I was the Dees id rather sit him in the VFL all year than accept that

And they can do that. For 1.3 mill a year! Never going to happen.

Man some of the opinions here are laughably Ill informed. Running with a media narrative that suits what you want to believe is not a fact.
Anyone here suggesting that Clarry is cooked after one bad season with an injury and no preseason just doesn't watch Melbourne play.
Prior to this year he was the most consistent inside mid in the competition and the only question mark was disposal which he had markedly improved.
Melbourne don't HAVE to trade him. And why if they do they have chosen Geelong is beyond me. But if Geelong were prepared to trade a first rounder for Smith with his disposal that probably makes Oliver worth more - behaviour issues or not.
I'm not sure he's football ability is the problem. Melbourne don't want him and that drops he's price substantially

Reckon ol' Clayton may be keen on the move

View attachment 2130531
Great photo.
Bailey Smith looks like he's cosplaying something out of Zoolander, Clayton looks like he just found some fresh windscreen wipers loitering on a luxury sedan.

yeah, it does. I'm not demanding 2x top 10 picks. You're offering the same for Bailey Smith who has equal, if not more risk considering his history and now coming off an acl.
This is epic level rubbish.

Claytons history (and present) is infinitely worse than Baileys.

And not having the edge to keep yourself in shape is a far worse ailment for an elite athlete than recovering from an ACL.

Will prob be a 3rd rounder and F1 with Cats taking the 1m+ a year.

Wil destroy cats culture paying blokes like Bowes, Oliver and Stengle huge coin.

Why the **** is he being compared to Grundy? Bloke was playing in the 2s, can’t take a mark or kick a goal for his life and forced out as a salary cap dump.

Oliver played in the firsts all year and Dees have no cap pressures.

Completely different scenario here.
Melbourne wants to get rid of Oliver, like Collingwood and Melbourne wanted to get rid of Grundy. It’s unfortunate for the dees that their CEO appears to have been desperately shopping Oliver around instead of waiting for the inevitable interest from other clubs. Now his value has dropped a heap.

Why the **** is he being compared to Grundy? Bloke was playing in the 2s, can’t take a mark or kick a goal for his life and forced out as a salary cap dump.

Come up with a better comparison then.

Both had their team shop them around because their 5+ year contract on big money no longer had value in it. Oliver's best may be better but his likelihood of delivering it lower.

Similar scenarios as Melbourne will bend over just like Collingwood did 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come up with a better comparison then.

Both had their team shop them around because their 5+ year contract on big money no longer had value in it. Oliver's best may be better but his likelihood of delivering it lower.

Petracca is a better comparison. Both on long contracts, and wanted to leave.

Dees held trac to his contract because Collingwood couldn’t get a deal done.

Will prob be a 3rd rounder and F1 with Cats taking the 1m+ a year.

Wil destroy cats culture paying blokes like Bowes, Oliver and Stengle huge coin.
Bowes contract was smoothed out over 4 years. It's not big money, 550 a year or something. They changed the rules after that, and rightly so.

Stengle is on 750 for 5 years. Not huge. Holmes is about the same for 4 years.

Nothing culture destroying there at all.

Petracca is a better comparison. Both on long contracts, and wanted to leave.

Dees held trac to his contract because Collingwood couldn’t get a deal done.
Not even close

Petracca was player driven due to the actions of the club, Oliver is club driven due to the actions of the player.

Basically opposite ends of the leverage scale

Bowes contract was smoothed out over 4 years. It's not big money, 550 a year or something. They changed the rules after that, and rightly so.

Stengle is on 750 for 5 years. Not huge. Holmes is about the same for 4 years.

Nothing culture destroying there at all.

Then comes along Oliver getting paid 1m+ to snap blokes windscreen wipers in the parking lot.

Not even close

Petracca was player driven due to the actions of the club, Oliver is club driven due to the actions of the player.

Basically opposite ends of the leverage scale

Pert made a phone call and Oliver cracked the sads about it and is sooking it up.

You really think club admins don’t test the market on any of there players? My guess is that it would happen a lot more than you think, just most players would suck it up, it’s part of the industry.

Testing the market and pushing someone out the door are 2 seperate things. Grundy was forced out because if he didn’t leave Collingwood we’re ****ed and probably in breach of cap.

The implications was that Pert rang clubs he thought had an interest in Clarry and THEN he had a meeting with Geelong. Not that he just chose Geelong after he heard he was on the outer.
Why would he choose a club that his manager would have told him probably doesn't have the capital? Why would Geelong players be so desperate to get him out to a farm 24 hours later?
Geelong meanwhile are spending a first rounder on a player who sprays it for days and who the doggies have barely missed.
If that is Smith's worth, contract or not pre 2023 Clarry is a dual all aus four times BNF winner.
I literally don't think Geelong can make this work.

This is epic level rubbish.

Claytons history (and present) is infinitely worse than Baileys.

And not having the edge to keep yourself in shape is a far worse ailment for an elite athlete than recovering from an ACL.
That is true and half of it never made it outside AFL circles. But Clarry has been an infinitely better player than Bailey ever has.

So this Pert fellow - Melbourne's CEO - basically became a recruiter for us and brought Oliver to Geelong? Is he on our payroll because that was some fine recruiting indeed.
Rumour has it Pert is also a Cotton On ambassador.

So this Pert fellow - Melbourne's CEO - basically became a recruiter for us and brought Oliver to Geelong? Is he on our payroll because that was some fine recruiting indeed.

I think he learned a thing or two from Ned Guy when he was at the Pies.

1727955972518.png

He does have a history of giving Geelong a leg up

Last edited:
There is just no chance Geelong pays anywhere near his whole salary, would be max 800k a year over that period of time, that’s with clayton being shipped out with a first round sweetener. They have a very structured salary system and don’t overpay. If I’m Melbourne I am working out just how bad this contract is and what the best thing moving forward is. This is pure mismanagement, if he was on 900 with 4 years left it wouldn’t even be news. 6 years and 10million dollars, that’s what this is about. Pert looked at the ledger and made some calls, it got out and now Clayton doesn’t feel wanted. For 1.3 a year for 6 more years, with his output and issues is he? No way. Bad contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back