Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruh Geelongs and absolute dumpster. How anyone could spout the 'lifestyle' as some sort of reason for moving is having a laugh. Only lifestyle there is getting on the crystal pistol every weekend and listening to Dangerfield's big fat mop of a head talking out his arse to mirror Scott's enormous scone.

Mornington is 10x better and actually has some hot birds there instead of hillbilly's in Cotton On sweaters.

Only reason anyone's taking a pay cut to move there is for the free acres of farm land and brand new tractors that mysteriously pop up in all the new recruits driveways
Bahaha... PISSER!!
Just a heads up!!
The white substance you're using is salt brother... u have been ripped off yet again.
FWIW. Me thinks you are salty enough. But, that's ok.
What's even funnier is that some NONG actually thinks Walsh is the GOAT. PMSL. Tis GOLD!!
Oh Oh... Just remember to add a little vinegar with that salt.
Makes ya Fish&Chips so much tastier.
Cheers buddy as you've just made my day.
What a pisser. lol.

In 2022, Kane was critical of Melbourne signing Clayton Oliver to a 8 year deal;
he couldn't have been more correct!

Interesting part of the discussion there was the second section for me. Chris Scott chasing a talented player with a strained relationship with his club where he poses a potential salary cap risk. The player is... Jordan De Goey.

Scott is consistent in the approach

Who says no?

Melbourne gets - Cats future 1st & Toby Conway
Geelong gets - Clayton Oliver.

Geelong takes on all of Oliver’s salary. If he wants to take a pay cut that’s between him and the cats.

Who says no?

Geelong takes on all of Oliver’s salary. If he wants to take a pay cut that’s between him and the cats.
Geelong obviously and rightly laugh at this.

Who says no?

When we probably have a limit of F1, Dee’s paying 400 CO forgoing 200 I’d say the No’s have it but thanks for the laugh.

Who says no?

Geelong. We can't cover ruck next year without Conway.

Edwards might be an interesting question but I doubt Melbourne ask for him

Edit: I didn't even read down to the part about Geelong g taking his full salary which is clearly not going to happen at that contract size, so yeah, no

Who says no?

The pay cut thing is another huge red flag. Geelong’s openly flaunting side deals & farm crates full of cash with an endless supply of gun players moving for less money. The AFL continue to do nothing about it.

The pay cut thing is another huge red flag. Geelong’s openly flaunting side deals & farm crates full of cash with an endless supply of gun players moving for less money. The AFL continue to do nothing about it.
Ah I think his original contract is the red flag here

I just think the salary cap is a non issue for all clubs over the next few years.
Barrett said on trade radio the other day it’s going from $15 to $17 million next year.
For the next few seasons salary cap room won’t be an issue for anyone. Unless they have totally f’ed up which none have I don’t think.
So whether cats are paying $1.2 for Clarry, or $1.0, or $900k. It doesn’t matter. No one is under salary cap pressure at the moment including Melbourne. There’s no reason Melbourne would want to pay Oliver to play elsewhere 💁🏻‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think the salary cap is a non issue for all clubs over the next few years.
Barrett said on trade radio the other day it’s going from $15 to $17 million next year.
For the next few seasons salary cap room won’t be an issue for anyone. Unless they have totally f’ed up which none have I don’t think.
So whether cats are paying $1.2 for Clarry, or $1.0, or $900k. It doesn’t matter. No one is under salary cap pressure at the moment including Melbourne. There’s no reason Melbourne would want to pay Oliver to play elsewhere 💁🏻‍♂️
I think the only reason it's an issue for Clarry is the cap increases indexed his contract way above what either party expected. His original contract would have been fine

Ah I think his original contract is the red flag here
Yes & Oliver gets a farm tour and is willing to take a pay cut just like Bowes was willing to add extra years for free. It makes no sense unless they are getting compensated in other ways.

We have a competition that has competitive balancing and the only way it can function is if all teams operate fairly. Geelong never rebuilding due to endless top ups for less money should really get a deep dive, not just a gushing article written at AFL.com

Whilst I think Geelong's success is 90% attributable to just being well run, if they get Oliver and Smith for "less money" and two late firsts there will be a bit of pressure on the AFL. Especially after the Bowes deal.

There's not much they can do though. There are no farm crates full of cash. They could reduce Geelong's salary cap (or bring in league wide salary cap adjustments based on ladder position) but that seems difficult.

Yes & Oliver gets a farm tour and is willing to take a pay cut just like Bowes was willing to add extra years for free. It makes no sense unless they are getting compensated in other ways.

We have a competition that has competitive balancing and the only way it can function is if all teams operate fairly. Geelong never rebuilding due to endless top ups for less money should really get a deep dive, not just a gushing article written at AFL.com
Bowes extra years were not free, just weren't at 800kpa.

Deep dive away. They're an open book.

Whilst I think Geelong's success is 90% attributable to just being well run, if they get Oliver and Smith for "less money" and two late firsts there will be a bit of pressure on the AFL. Especially after the Bowes deal.

There's not much they can do though. There are no farm crates full of cash. They could reduce Geelong's salary cap (or bring in league wide salary cap adjustments based on ladder position) but that seems difficult.
Definitely will be more pressure on the AFL to change something, but I think the outcomes we're pointing at are attributable to increased player movement freedom not some conspiracy.

The whole trading system needs something changed to more accurately compensate clubs losing players. We can't rely on a system driven almost entirely by player choice and the constraints on the destination club resources

Only Eagles and Bombers players don't get automatic increases in line with the CBA. The extra cap room only exists for those two clubs.

To be honest, if I was him I would clean out the locker just in case. Even if it's a 1% chance it's better to do it now and say "i don't know what is going to happen" rather than go back afterwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back