Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Locker emptied, luggage packed, outta Melbourne and straight to his farm. Godspeed, farmer Clayton.

360_F_650221835_7GhltWL7gsMGfQbjHi0fLEsFzA9SY0V8.jpg

I dunno about that. I think most of the cats players aren't indexed either

Possible not all are. But I know of a few who definitely did have increases inbuilt but possible it has changed.

I guess perhaps more accurately, those two clubs don't do it for all players as a matter of policy (or at least have up until this point).

Hold him to his contract.
He was man enough to sign the big payday.
Now make him work for it.
Sounds like at this point he'd literally just walk out of the joint though

Whilst I think Geelong's success is 90% attributable to just being well run, if they get Oliver and Smith for "less money" and two late firsts there will be a bit of pressure on the AFL. Especially after the Bowes deal.

There's not much they can do though. There are no farm crates full of cash. They could reduce Geelong's salary cap (or bring in league wide salary cap adjustments based on ladder position) but that seems difficult.
So your concept is to get the AFL to penalize a club thats run well and has on field success ?
I guess clubs should just run themselves into the ground to give WCE a chance to finish top 4 next year. In fact why even compete, have integrity or professionalism or try and win.

Reduce salary caps? The AFL should just disband the side that just won the premiership like they never existed.

Top teams already miss out on high draft picks lol. No other team received a Harley Reid last year.

Success needs to be earned, otherwise there's no point.

Last edited:

This is what the trade period is all about. Inject it straight into my veins.

1728611308934.png

Definitely will be more pressure on the AFL to change something, but I think the outcomes we're pointing at are attributable to increased player movement freedom not some conspiracy.

The whole trading system needs something changed to more accurately compensate clubs losing players. We can't rely on a system driven almost entirely by player choice and the constraints on the destination club resources
The first thing that should happen is that every player earning over $450k should have their salary publicly available and published.

If NFL players earning $800k have their salaries publicly available, afl players earning $1m plus most certainly can.

Don’t like it? Don’t play the sport then. Find another career

The pay cut thing is another huge red flag. Geelong’s openly flaunting side deals & farm crates full of cash with an endless supply of gun players moving for less money. The AFL continue to do nothing about it.
I just love joke posts I can have a good laugh at. Thanks.

The first thing that should happen is that every player earning over $450k should have their salary publicly available and published.

If NFL players earning $800k have their salaries publicly available, afl players earning $1m plus most certainly can.

Don’t like it? Don’t play the sport then. Find another career

What does that solve?

So your concept is to get the AFL to penalize a club thats run well and has on field success ?
I guess clubs should just run themselves into the ground to give WCE a chance to finish top 4 next year. In fact why even compete, have integrity or professionalism or try and win.

Reduce salary caps? The AFL should just disband the side that just won the premiership like they never existed.

Top teams already miss out on high draft picks lol. No other team received a Harley Reid last year.

Success needs to be earned, otherwise there's no point.
Your reading comprehension is abysmal. I'm not advocating for any solution or complaining about anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just Thinking Out Loud here but the thought of Clarry & Dangerfield sends Shivers down my spine. They'd be a Perfect Duet and Oliver could build a Castle on the Hill down at Moggs Creek :thumbsu:

Man he and Danger could be the A-Team, All Of The Stars are aligning.
Seriously though, what an awesome Photograph, hopefully Clayton kicks his Bad Habits and doesn’t Dive in performance.

I See Fire in Clayton’s eyes, he seems Happier hanging down the Surf Coast way.

Whilst I think Geelong's success is 90% attributable to just being well run, if they get Oliver and Smith for "less money" and two late firsts there will be a bit of pressure on the AFL. Especially after the Bowes deal.

There's not much they can do though. There are no farm crates full of cash. They could reduce Geelong's salary cap (or bring in league wide salary cap adjustments based on ladder position) but that seems difficult.

The fact you brought up the Bowes deal is hilarious.
It was a salary dump that GOLD COAST were pushing an overpaid player out.

Bowes never wanted to leave, they were pushing him out so he picked the one team who had interest in him prior to the offer ever going out.
They even offered Pick 7 as incentives to take his contract on.

People act like Geelong were screwing the League around when it was Bowes and his agent who approached Geelong with Dangerfield getting into contact with Jack (who was Jack’s mentor at under 18 championships) to meet up properly.
Once that was organised, Jack knew where he wanted to go.

Last edited:
The fact you brought up the Bowes deal is hilarious.
It was a salary dump that GOLD COAST were pushing an overpaid player out.

Bowes never wanted to leave, they were pushing him out so he picked the one team who had interest in him prior to the offer ever going out.
They even offered Pick 7 as incentives to take his contract on.

People act like Geelong were screwing the League around when it was Bowes and his agent who approached Geelong with Dangerfield getting into contact with Jack (who was Jack’s mentor at under 18 championships) to meet up properly.
Once that was organised, Jack knew where he wanted to go.

why bother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back