Clinton Casey is to Blame

Remove this Banner Ad

Your sources are wrong. Knowing the whole story is important before you formulate an opinion!

How do YOU know if my sources are wrong? Did you ask the man personally? He also spent over 50 hours a week at the club for much of the time he was president. Of course he didn't get paid for any of it. He inherited a train wreck. Do you realize that when the Casey regime came in and "downsized" the department, they found many financial matters were never documented. So when people left, important information left as well. Great way to run a business! I'm not saying the man's a saint, but I don't think anyone realizes how much work goes into running an AFL club until they do it. And yes he DID put a substantial amount of money into the club and he ALSO offered a guarantee. I say YOU should get the whole story next time! Just because it was never written anywhere, it doesn't mean it never happened. Some people are happier not to have their generosity published and made known.

When we failed to elect the Big 4 ticket we lost a massive opportunity to vote for a bunch of incredibly well qualified people who would would have made a wonderful board. A true captain of industry as a President and a team of energised and successful businessfolk, who happened to bleed for the Tiges.

Not for the lack of my and many other votes (had 1 in 12 members voted differently we would have had a landslide to the Big 4) they lost.

I'd love them to go again one day, but I fear the time is gone. And honestly, why would they bother having been spurned before, and subjected to some ridiculous vitriole by Casey and his hood, Miller.

Shame. A crying shame. :(

Some people are happier not to have their generosity published and made known.

This was never a problem of Casey's...

Nup, Casey only ever gave a guarantee (without board approval mind you). Daphne and Co left him a club making $500k+ a year and largely debt free then in the space of a few years we were (and remain) a comparative basketcase.

Thanks Clint.

T
Why wasn't he held accountable for loosing the clubs money, the only reason we made a profit during some years of his reign was because he included Jack Dyer Foundation donations in the Profit and Loss statement each year. His incompetence and fiddling of the books is a direct result of where we are now.

Err no - it wasn't fiddling the books as you call it - it was called follwoing the Law - Corporations Law to be precise.

Under Corps law the Club is required to include in their P&L any monies that they control - like it or not the Club are deem to control (oversee) the JDF so therefore they were legally bound to inlcude those numbers. Read the annual accounts and it's all there for you in black and white

How do YOU know if my sources are wrong? Did you ask the man personally? He also spent over 50 hours a week at the club for much of the time he was president. Of course he didn't get paid for any of it. He inherited a train wreck. Do you realize that when the Casey regime came in and "downsized" the department, they found many financial matters were never documented. So when people left, important information left as well. Great way to run a business! I'm not saying the man's a saint, but I don't think anyone realizes how much work goes into running an AFL club until they do it. And yes he DID put a substantial amount of money into the club and he ALSO offered a guarantee. I say YOU should get the whole story next time! Just because it was never written anywhere, it doesn't mean it never happened. Some people are happier not to have their generosity published and made known.

The guy NEVER donated the $700,000 that was bandied about. That is FACT and I don't give a shit if you have your knickers in a twist about it.

Gutnick and Pratt donated cold hard. Casey just went as guarantor. That is FACT.

Every president works hard at the job. Don't paint him as something special just because he works hard like anyone else in the position should.

You cant buy better publicity than being president of a footy club.

Ask Eddie

There is only one reason Casey took the job. All the publicity he got

When we failed to elect the Big 4 ticket we lost a massive opportunity to vote for a bunch of incredibly well qualified people who would would have made a wonderful board. A true captain of industry as a President and a team of energised and successful businessfolk, who happened to bleed for the Tiges.

Opportunity lost! Why? Because "Guru Greg" - Casey's bagman, intervened and promised stability. Well stability is exactly what we've got.....very, very stable in last place and looking like we'll stay there for the next decade.

Instead of a genuine top four Melbourne club, we now have a third rate club, which in Grant Thomas' words, lacks any respect, not to mention accountability and a loser culture.

March is now Casey's puppet. Any decent Board would step aside having failed to produce anything like what was promised. Bring back the Big Four!!! Bring on the challenge!!!

Opportunity lost! Why? Because "Guru Greg" - Casey's bagman, intervened and promised stability. Well stability is exactly what we've got.....very, very stable in last place and looking like we'll stay there for the next decade.

Instead of a genuine top four Melbourne club, we now have a third rate club, which in Grant Thomas' words, lacks any respect, not to mention accountability and a loser culture.

March is now Casey's puppet. Any decent Board would step aside having failed to produce anything like what was promised. Bring back the Big Four!!! Bring on the challenge!!!

yeah bc the other ticket would have magically clicked their heels had they got elected and we would now be a champion team and legitimate "big 4" :rolleyes:

LOL - theres always a white knight around the corner isnt there?

FACT: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A QUICK TURNAROUND FOR THE RFC, IT WILL TAKE YEARS TO GET THIS CLUB RIGHT FROM THE INSIDE OUT.

Deal with it and get over it you bunch of girls

yeah bc the other ticket would have magically clicked their heels had they got elected and we would now be a champion team and legitimate "big 4" :rolleyes:

FACT: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A QUICK TURNAROUND FOR THE RFC, IT WILL TAKE YEARS TO GET THIS CLUB RIGHT FROM THE INSIDE OUT.

I think it will take between five to seven years to fix it. They are going to one full time recruiter, two part time recruiters and one recruiter based in Ireland :thumbsu:

Not the answer 67

I was one of the most vocal people on this board against Miller and casey getting elected, but board upheaval is the last thing we need right now.

March has done the right thing by scaling back Miller's power, and next time there's an election, Miller will go.

We are at defcon 3. If we dont dramatically improve next season we are at defcon 5 which I believe is all out thermo nuclear war.

Wallace clearly caught on too late that he needed to blood the younger kids, so really we should have been going through last year what we're going through this year.

A case of better late than never. If he got it totally wrong, we'll know next season.

RFC still has plenty of self-respect thank you very much.

In spite of tough times we have not had to go onto the AFL "life-support system" like the Western Bulldogs, Kangaroos and Carlton. We have not had to be sold off interstate to play games like Hawthorn, or gone out of existence like South Melbourne and Fitzroy.

Last but not least we dont need a misfit like Grant Thomas talking about respect when he personally has little or no credibility himself. In spite of St Kilda's list they still manage to blow their chances every season and have one lousy flag to show for their entire history. Location-wise they are nomads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RFC still has plenty of self-respect thank you very much.

In spite of tough times we have not had to go onto the AFL "life-support system" like the Western Bulldogs, Kangaroos and Carlton. We have not had to be sold off interstate to play games like Hawthorn, or gone out of existence like South Melbourne and Fitzroy.

Last but not least we dont need a misfit like Grant Thomas talking about respect when he personally has little or no credibility himself. In spite of St Kilda's list they still manage to blow their chances every season and have one lousy flag to show for their entire history. Location-wise they are nomads.

I would have thought that given you were the poster boy for Clinton Casey's relection and leading his cheer squad, you'd leave a thread about him these days well enough alone.

Every reason you gave why he should be relected has been proven entirely wrong.

Yeah he can spin it big time, but at least he can spin it, not like the moronic dud who wore his heart on his sleeve and his brain on his ass, forever and a day.

When we have a coach who can't string two sentences together and talks purely on emotion, all the fans wonder who is this knucklehead in charge who understands nothing about our game. Then we get a coach, who really understands the game via his brain not his heart, and has a plan in place for the development of the club long term, not just a plan for winning next week at the G....and on the whole we still don't like it

It seems there is no pleasing Tiger heads....but that's fair enough because many of us Tiger heads work on emotion not logic....which is cool...just dont wreck the plan because in a few years time I'm sure many more will be pleased;)

When we have a coach who can't string two sentences together and talks purely on emotion, all the fans wonder who is this knucklehead in charge who understands nothing about our game. Then we get a coach, who really understands the game via his brain not his heart, and has a plan in place for the development of the club long term, not just a plan for winning next week at the G....and on the whole we still don't like it

It seems there is no pleasing Tiger heads....but that's fair enough because many of us Tiger heads work on emotion not logic....which is cool...just dont wreck the plan because in a few years time I'm sure many more will be pleased;)

copy that dude...with ya on that. ;)

I would have thought that given you were the poster boy for Clinton Casey's relection and leading his cheer squad, you'd leave a thread about him these days well enough alone.

Every reason you gave why he should be relected has been proven entirely wrong.
????

Paranoia appears to be working here :confused:

Not for the lack of my and many other votes (had 1 in 12 members voted differently we would have had a landslide to the Big 4) they lost.

I'd love them to go again one day, but I fear the time is gone. And honestly, why would they bother having been spurned before, and subjected to some ridiculous vitriole by Casey and his hood, Miller.

Shame. A crying shame. :(

Hearing from sources they are hurt and are reluctant to try again. Very unfortunate.

The guy NEVER donated the $700,000 that was bandied about. That is FACT and I don't give a shit if you have your knickers in a twist about it.

Gutnick and Pratt donated cold hard. Casey just went as guarantor. That is FACT.

Every president works hard at the job. Don't paint him as something special just because he works hard like anyone else in the position should.

I haven't got my knickers in a twist. All I'm saying is that there are certain facts that many people don't know. Did it ever occur to you that I may have been in a position to come across some information that most others have not been privy to? Even you. Just take it on board, that there are many things that occur at football clubs that are never publicized and thus are never known. You don't know who I am. For all you know I could be Steve Wright!

How many times do you have to bottom out before they get it right? Other sides don't bottom out they just get better, if the administration and football department make the same mistakes year after year and don't learn from those mistakes then it will be another 30 years before Richmond success.

I haven't got my knickers in a twist. All I'm saying is that there are certain facts that many people don't know. Did it ever occur to you that I may have been in a position to come across some information that most others have not been privy to? Even you. Just take it on board, that there are many things that occur at football clubs that are never publicized and thus are never known. You don't know who I am. For all you know I could be Steve Wright!

Did he or did he not *give* the club $700,000?

And when I say give, I mean gave it and did not get it back.

Everyone donates money to the RFC, it is just that people are able to donate different amounts, even if it is just buying a raffle ticket at the gate. But most people do not deliberately misrepresent (or at least not seek to clarify) acting as a guarantor as donating cash. You know it and I know it. He did not donate the club 700k.

And the you don't know who I am game works both ways pal.

We didn't sell any games which has led to major cuts in the football department including spending the least amount of money on recruiting. I suggest that selling games may have been a better idea.

Not the answer 67

I was one of the most vocal people on this board against Miller and casey getting elected, but board upheaval is the last thing we need right now.

March has done the right thing by scaling back Miller's power, and next time there's an election, Miller will go.
quote]

Have to agree with 67. Better to get in a competent board NOW that has a Richmond influence in it rather than wasting another 3 years with Millers influence.

Did he or did he not *give* the club $700,000?

And when I say give, I mean gave it and did not get it back.

Everyone donates money to the RFC, it is just that people are able to donate different amounts, even if it is just buying a raffle ticket at the gate. But most people do not deliberately misrepresent (or at least not seek to clarify) acting as a guarantor as donating cash. You know it and I know it. He did not donate the club 700k.

And the you don't know who I am game works both ways pal.

Hi pal, this is getting tiring. I was told straight from horses mouth in early 2002 that a six figure sum was given to the club (my recollection was $700,000). This was way before the guarantee stuff was even on the horizon. So unless the horse lied to me over a few (many) drinks, then you are right and I stand corrected. The social situation we were in at the time didn't lend itself to telling untruths. There was nothing to be gained by telling them. As you know Casey is a man of considerable wealth. It's was not an unbelievable comment an I have no doubt that the horse was being honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clinton Casey is to Blame

Remove this Banner Ad

Back