Clinton Grybas Passes Away

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a Roos fan and FoxTel-Footy subscriber Clinton went hand in hand with us...on so may occasions did he call our games, almost a part of the Roos furniture so to speak along with his commentating on 3AW...a devastating loss for the whole football world.

Will be sadly missed because the game came before the personality.

Gaso

Shocking news Clinton was AFL to anyone who was fortunate enough to have fox and see him on it regularly. Best caller in the land by a long way and is going to be hugely missed. He just had something that made him stand out( in the best possible way).

RIP Clinton Grybas

Being a Roos fan and FoxTel-Footy subscriber Clinton went hand in hand with us...on so may occasions did he call our games, almost a part of the Roos furniture so to speak along with his commentating on 3AW...a devastating loss for the whole football world.

Will be sadly missed because the game came before the personality.

Gaso

Yep, in a land of yes-men and women pandering to the AFL's line of 'we run the show', Clinton stood out as a man of integrity and class.

Will be missed by many.

Was the best football commentator and personality I have had the pleasure of listening to. Sunday afternoon games on fox will never be the same

Rest in peace Clinton :(

I don't know if anyone else heard, but as Grandstand went off the air at 7pm, they replayed Clinton's call of the 2000 women's water polo gold medal match between Australia and the United States. Spinetingling stuff.

To quote him from that commentary, this is unbelievable. He didn't just do footy well, he did everything well, and that is the test of a great sports broadcaster.

I'm extremely sad - two of my favourite three media personalities have died in the past few weeks, after Matt Price's death the day after the election. Just wrong.

RIP Clinton. :(

What a tragic loss to footy generally ... SO SAD!

I felt sure at times he must be a BF poster (or reader) as sometimes on WLF would almost quote some of the relatively unique or funny stuff word for word.

Unbiased, entertaining & different.... possibly the best commentator/host

Condolances to his family and friends

RIP

PS Is there any word coming out of Melb how this tragedy happened?

My favourite caller by a wide margin... :(:(:(:(:( Hope it's not suicide, sounds like it could be.

Unfortunately we are all mortal. RIP.

I am shocked and saddened by the news of Clinton's passing. He is a massive loss to the football world. He was the best commentator in the business with the world at his feet.

I still can't believe it! One of the genuine good guys, gone too soon. :(

R.I.P

Peter 'smooth' Booth found him when looking for replacements at the ABC.

Started there in 1995, had a stint in Perth with the ABC.

3AW saw his talent and head hunted him for 2001. Original member of fox footy in 2002.

Had a magnificent well balanced brain.

Personally suspect an anueurysm.

Gone way too early.

I remember Clinton from his early days with the ABC in Perth and have really enjoyed watching him progress.

A top bloke. :thumbsu:

My thoughts are with all who were close to him.

RIP Clinton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terribly sad news. Seemed like a fantastic bloke. The man is obviously highly regarded. I cannot remember so many people from so many different sides bonding togeather as one in their praise of a footy identity.

I just feel like I am taking this harder than I should considering I never met the man.

Is it because we are losing the best caller in our game?

Is it because he is only 32?

Is it because seeing this happen to someone who seemingly had it all is just a completely sobering thought?

I'm really rattled by this.
Big hug to you TBD.....hope that cheers you a little bit....Clinton will never be forgotten by any of us.....these sort of tragedies are always such a shock.....particularly someone so young and successful....I felt the same when Crazy John died......so cruel, so very sad...we will all feel numb for awhile i think.....:(

I reckon Clinton Grybas best media interview was when he interviewed Wayne Carey in 2002, shortly after Carey quit the Kangaroos in disgrace after the now-famous ( or infamous) affair with Anthony Stevens' wife at a BBQ. If you remember, it was on the opening night of not just White Line Fever, but Fox Footy Channel as well. Whereas other interviewers such as Ray Martin would have gone completely over the top and hounded and possibly embarrassed Carey with irresponsible questions, Grybas handled the interview with toal professionalism, knowing that not only people were tuning in to hear what Carey had to say, but how much was at stake considering it was the opening day of a new channel as well.

Horrendous news. In a state of suspended disbelief. Tragic, devastating ... what can anyone say. Again R.I.P doesn't sound feasible for someone taken so suddenly. He was living in peace and happiness seemingly. Rest is the last thing he needed.

:(

I remember he read my email out on White Line Fever once. I was truly grateful.

The reason we're taking it so hard is because he is a genuine bloke who loves the game and would never say a bad word about anyone. Not just some scum news reporter who resembles a 2nd hand car dealer.

You can just tell he went above and beyond the call of duty at Fox Footy. See you in the Hall of Fame Grybas!

What shocking and terrible news.
He was the top commentator in the land IMO.
When it was on the air "White Line Fever" was the best footy show going, in no small part due to Clinton's vast knowledge of footy, sense of humour and the profesional manner in which he dealt with guest and callers alike.
His call at the final siren of the '07 GF (Quote- "There it is! 44 years in the making, the greatest winning margin of all time. Geelong have won their seventh premiership, and it's the sweetest one of all. All the years of heartbreak and despair swept away in one glorious afternoon." ) never fails to bring a tear of joy to my eyes, now they will be mixed with tears of sadness.

RIP Clinton

Incidentally, Clinton Grybas wasn't the first voice seen and heard on Fox Footy Channel when it started up back in 2002, in time for a hyped-up practice match between Sydney and Essendon at North Sydney Oval, which also happened to be Tony Lockett's first game back after a short retirement. That honour went to Jason Bennett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back