Clinton Grybas Passes Away

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever said that there hasn't been a bad word to say about Grybas is correct, I can't think of a more well-respected commentator. Really gonna miss his work this year :(

Mingo said:
It's been taken off now. Kudos to whoever took it off. Even if it is true it shouldn't be reported on on something like Wikipedia until it comes from a reliable source. It's not even on the Herald Sun/Age.
I'd guess that page has been locked for editing, which usually happens following someone's death.

Here's an update:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23010871-5006301,00.html

UPDATE: THE sports world is in shock following the suspected sleepwalking death of young gun footy caller Clinton Grybas.

Friends and family of the 32-year-old found dead in his city apartment today said they understood he had died after hitting his head while sleepwalking. They recounted incidents where the 3AW and Fox Sports figure had frightened himself by waking on his 15th floor balcony.

In another sleepwalking incident, Grybas thought an intruder had given him a headwound after hitting his head.

Former AFL player and 3AW colleague Graeme Bond said the 3AW fraternity was struggling.

"All I can do is look back on the incident earlier in the year when Clinton woke up with a huge lump on his head and he couldn't call the football," he said. "He went to the doctor and found he'd been sleepwalking. You'd think that would trigger a couple of questions as to something and think it could possibly be neurological . . . there's no other rhyme nor reason."

I'm in even more shock now. Sleepwalking led to the probable cause of death? Unbelievable. :(

Rest in Peace Clinton Grybas.

In a world where everything is for sale, you were a class act.

The many who loved your work will miss you, the total professional package.

wow im truly shocked. he was by far my favourite commentator. loved his work and i enjoyed listening to him call AFL games. ill definately miss him as he was one of the best commentators going around today.

R.I.P Clinton grybas

I'm in even more shock now. Sleepwalking led to the probable cause of death? Unbelievable. :(

I saw a doco about it on Fox once.

One of the case studies was about a young American athlete who in the middle of the night, sprinted down the stairs and out of his house and was hit by a truck on a highway hundreds of metres away.

Another one was a woman who got up and ran at her bedroom wall numerous times, woke up looking and feeling like she'd gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson.

It seems bizarre but there it is.

An excellent commentator who seemed like a great bloke too. I will miss his professionalism and class.

Sincere condolences to his family

Just reading through this thread again, just so amazing that Clinton was able to impress the entire footballing community.

The biggest tick of approval anyone can receive.

He was the best find for calling the game, the game had seen for probably a generation. You'd probably have to go back to Rex himself as a find on the old VFA coverage on 10 for something close to it.

IIRC, he got his start by entering a competition on the ABC which involved sending a demo tape of a footy call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R.I.P Clinton, a commentator who you knew would always do his job fairly. A commentary you knew would be worth listening too.

Cheers mate gone way too soon!

Here's what he had to say to Don Hyde and Jim Main in their book Beyond The Call:

I'd actually won a cricket commentary competition with the Grandstand Cricket Show where I went along to the MCG with my trusty little tape recorder and started commentating on a Victoria versus New South Wales match and sent that in as part of the competition. The panel of "Smooth" (Peter Booth), Tim Lane and Greg Miles judged me to be the Victorian winner of the competition, so my prize was that I got to sit in the commentary box on Boxing Day during the test match, which was just an enormous thrill

Pretty good way to get in!

Here's what he had to say to Don Hyde and Jim Main in their book Beyond The Call:

Pretty good way to get in!

They are running that competition at the moment (do a 5 minute recording) if anyone is feeling inspired, and wants to be a broadcaster.

A post a minute for seven hours.

This is more than the Cousins thread when he got arrested.

Just goes to show how highly regarded he was .

Condolences to the family.

It almost sounds like you are saying that Cousins is highly regarded too but I understand your sentiment.

Just reading through this thread again, just so amazing that Clinton was able to impress the entire footballing community.

The biggest tick of approval anyone can receive.

This is so true. There aren’t many people to whom our admiration transcended all football loyalties. Clinton was one. It doesn’t matter who you barrack for or which state you come from, we all liked Clinton Grybas.

It almost sounds like you are saying that Cousins is highly regarded too but I understand your sentiment.

Yeah.

The guy never played a game and is getting more posts than the biggest "news" story of the footy year..... and its a saturday night for gawd's sake !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back