Rumour Cloke wants 5 years, we say pump the brakes

Remove this Banner Ad

If he does walk, I wonder if the club would go after Jon Patton. While GWS could afford to pay him more, he is from Melbourne and might want to come home.
It's an interesting point albeit that it would be a difficult deal to get done. Let's be fair, if he were in the market for a return home we would be unlikely to be the only club making offers. None the less, you could see a guy like that giving the idea some serious thought if the money was reasonable and it would be way less than what Cloke would be getting.

if cloke doesnt want to take some type of hit to the wallet to play in a successful side then as far as im concerned there is the door. i would think he would deserve what pendles is on, if that isnt enough well too bad .
then i would be making a beeline for GWS and jeremy cameron.:D

if cloke doesnt want to take some type of hit to the wallet to play in a successful side then as far as im concerned there is the door. i would think he would deserve what pendles is on, if that isnt enough well too bad .
then i would be making a beeline for GWS and jeremy cameron.:D
I can't help but agree with the bolded bit. It's been proven over and over that paying players overs has too many bad side effects including risking the club's ability to retain a decent list not to metion what it does to the psyche of other players.

My strong suspicion (and hope) is that Trav wants the longer deal more than he wants to be paid overs. I believe it was a sticking point in his last contract and I think David is taking the view that he's now earned it. I would be far more comfortable with that within reasonably boundaries than with paying so much that we can't retain our list. In the end, if keeping him threatens that then I believe the club should reluctantly but realistically wave him a fond farewell.

I wouldn't offer more than 4 years. I've said it for the last few years, but even after last years career year, I don't think Cloke is as important to the side as some think. I honestly think we could win a flag without him. The same way Geelong won flags without a dominant key forward.

Would we miss him? Absolutely. But it wouldn't end our chances at a flag. And perhaps having salary cap flexibility will allow us to improve the side in the next couple of years where we otherwise couldn't. I'd like Cloke to sign, but wouldn't be that devastated if he left.

Take the compensation picks, put in a big bid for Goddard and supporters will get over it.

Goddard? lol

My strong suspicion (and hope) is that Trav wants the longer deal more than he wants to be paid overs. I believe it was a sticking point in his last contract and I think David is taking the view that he's now earned it.

I might be wrong, but my memory from his last deal (post 2010 season) was that we wanted to sign him up for 4 years and it was him that only wanted 2.

Good move in the end for him, as in 2011 he doubled his value.

I might be wrong, but my memory from his last deal (post 2010 season) was that we wanted to sign him up for 4 years and it was him that only wanted 2.

I think it was his dad who wanted a longer contract last time it was a sticking point and yes He has earnt a longer contract this time.

I don,t think Travis really wants to go elsewhere but his dad wants the best deal for him that much is sure.

Agreed. I think nobody who is realistic begrudges Trav trying to get the best deal he can. In the end, regardless of how much money is offered or how long a contract, it will come down to whether or not he wants to stay with the Pies.

I can't see any way on earth that Eddie will allow the club's future either onfield or off to be derailed by locking us in to paying overs. As was said earlier, Eddie is very much about the long term sustainability of the club and he'd be well and truly acquainted with the sins of the past. It may be a sad reality but if Trav's sticking point is what he can get elsewhere and what we can't justify paying him then I have full confidence that Eddie will pull the pin on negotiations and cut our losses as best he can.

Trav is an interesting one.

On one hand, he is an amazing contested mark - the best about.
Also, we have no like-for-like player at this point.

On the other hand he soaks up at a guess 25-30% of our inside 50's and converts them into say 2.2.14

He may also set up a few goals here and there for other players, though not a huge number.

We are tight for salary cap, and if he ties up 800-900 K, then likely we'll lose a couple of players by being unable to match offers elsewhere, eg a Reid, Sidebottom, Beams etc

Trav's weakness as I see it, is when he has the ball 70-80 metres from goal - he wheels around onto the left and hoists it, I'm going to say blindly, as far as he can - because often there's players free 30 meters or so from goal and it sails over their unseen heads into the mop up defenders' arms.

If he fixed that aspect to his game - his value would be higher IMO - maybe 700-750
Otherwise I'd have him ( salary cap pressures in the forefront of thinking here) around the 600 area.

I've said it many times here, I don't think we need to break the bank over one player - we operate as a team and can offer so much more from a club perspective than simply a $ amount. The culture, the crowds, the post career opportunities to name a few.

If Trav is hanging out to get every last cent ( and I'm not saying he is -he didn't do that last time) then perhaps the Club needs to make a strong decision and let him walk, if that's what he wants.

Hopefully he's smarter than that -he certainly isn't going to starve either way and can potentially establish himself, if he continues to work hard as he has done, as all-time Collingwood legend if he stays, held in the same regard as the Roses, McKenna, the Coventry's etc.

How tight are we on salary cap though?
next year dids and jolly go to the veterans list?

We have a bit of room I would say

Leigh brown and leon helped with the cap and benny johnson I would doubt wil play next year which will make for room in the cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How tight are we on salary cap though?
next year dids and jolly go to the veterans list?

We have a bit of room I would say

Leigh brown and leon helped with the cap and benny johnson I would doubt wil play next year which will make for room in the cap.

Jolly hasn't played 10 years with us so he can't be a veteran.
Off the top of my head the players eligible are:
Didak
Johnson
Swan
Tarrant

Happy to be proven wrong though :)

Jolly hasn't played 10 years with us so he can't be a veteran.
Off the top of my head the players eligible are:
Didak
Johnson
Swan
Tarrant

Happy to be proven wrong though :)
10'years or a certain age isn't it , more importantly who is that in your picture ?

I'd say thats a very innaccurate guess and it would be much lower than that

Well possibly but the main thrust of my thinking was that despite all the amazing pack marks the overall scoreboard impact is not huge, warranting dizzying pay packets that will very probably compromise our ability to hold onto other key players.

If he was a 70 -90 goal a year FF rather than 45-60 then my thoughts would be different.

As it also would of he picked out players to pass to rather than all too often blasting the ball forward when he wheels onto the left from just around the wing areas.

I know I'm in the minority here and that's fine, but I'd want more from a player on 800K or whatever under the current salary cap.

Two goals a game from a full forawrd on that money, sorry that doesn't do it for me.

PS I could just be saying this so he kicks eight on the weekend :)

Damien Barrett says Cloke has told his agents he is sick of all the speculation etc and wants the deal done ASAP. Meeting took place today with agents minus Cloke senior and Collingwood people. More to come on The Footy Show.

About Time Travis be a Man and lay down the Law.

Maybe told his Dad to F**k Off and Let me do this Contract without you

Scenario:

Cloke kicks 8 or more on the weekend
[Push push push to retain him on 900k or more.]

Cloke kicks 5 or more on the weekend
[Still try to retain him on about 800k]

Cloke kicks 4 or less on the weekend
[Ask to keep him for 700k]

Cloke kicks nothing on the weekend
[GET RID OF HIM! Obviously cannot handle any form of pressure. Paine/Reid/Taz forward line for 2013 while developing another key forward]

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Cloke wants 5 years, we say pump the brakes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back