Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

What I don’t understand is that earlier in the season we seemed to be on the right track and showed promise - and even had a couple of unexpected wins - and then just like that we went south again - as all most supporters want to see is some system in play and some effort being made by the players. I do believe many of the players just stopped playing for the coach for whatever reason.
The players had a massive heart to heart after the Bulldogs debacle and basically decided that whoever was coaching them they would play hard football and put in 100 percent.

This doesn't last long though and obviously as time goes on and injuries and incidents happen it gets forgotten.

Add the reid suspension and yeo getting I jured and then Kelly and the whole thing is a bust.

That's why you need the respect of the coach and fear of losing your spot to have continued excellence in a team sport but Simpson didn't have that.

Then it produces a who gives a **** mentality it's too hard I can show up and play hard when I feel like it there's no accountability.

I don't necessarily think the list is horrible. We are so mentally weak and soft when the going gets kinda tough. We DO need to move on some deadwood don't get me wrong.
Football or any team sport is played 90 percent between the ears.

We aren't as bad a list as some are making out and we aren't as good as others are making out.

What we don't have is the correct mentality 100 percent attitude correct for putting in and working hard 100 percent of the time.

We wouldn't be making finals with the list we have but we certainly wouldn't be 3 wins with an average losing margin of 53 points.

With the right attitude we would have beaten the saints, Essendon, north and hawks imo.

Hope we see some creativity from the new coach. Felt it was a hallmark of Simmo's earlier career, but that dried right up and we were stuck with land of giants forward line, pigeonholed players, long and to the right etc. Maybe this sort of thing is inevitable with time, felt the same with Mick and Woosha towards the end.

It's probably too late for guys like Trew, and I'm not sure how much freedom Schofield will have to mix things up (imagine coming in as a caretaker and your first move is to block Jack Darling getting to 300 games) but we'll see. Always liked Schofield. No idea if he's the man, but I am always wary of rash decision making if we do pinch an unexpected win or two. It's one of the reasons why I would have preferred an end of season decision despite everything.

The biggest call the club will have to make since hiring Mick I reckon.

Is it on the foot that had the surgery or the one that didn't?
It’s the surgical side. In saying that he’s also been off his feet for a long time then has been exposed to reloading. Absolutely crucial they get this phase right so glad they’ve taken this approach. We can move this over to the injury thread if needed.

Should definitely offer him a senior assistant gig.
Won't take an assistant job, and too be fair shouldn't have to consider one when he has an arguably better coaching resume the the "leading" candidate in Dean Cox having coached his own team to a premiership in a quality league, and been involved in premierships, Grand Finals and finals at West Coast, Swans and Freo throughout his career

Think someone mentioned a week or so ago that he was quite happy being out of the AFL system, getting better money for less stress.
Wouldn't consider an assistant role again, but would look at a senior coach role for obvious reasons.
Will be interesting to see how Schofield go's over the next 7 weeks. Do we have a Paul Roos/Rodney Eade type situation occur with Schofield v Cox.

The next coach needs to be a sacrificial lamb. Develop the new recruits, draft well, and then fall on their sword in 4-5 years time when there has been no improvement.
Then the next NEXT coach takes over and does a Woosha/Simmo winning a flag within 4 years of taking over.

the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records
Buckley

For me I don’t have a preferred option.

What I do want is that the Club conduct a thorough and extensive search for suitable candidates.

As much as it pisses me off, with the medias obsession to link any prospect coach who once played for us, as being the preferred option, I do think that both Hanson and Cox are well credentialed and worthy names to throw into the discussion, regardless of who they once played for.

I would like us to also assess the pool of up and coming assistants.

Who is the next Fly or Adam Kingsley?

I do however as a general rule, rate higher those candidates, who have a more diverse coaching background, more highly than those who don’t, meaning those who have been a Senior Coach at a lower level and or, those who have had exposure to multiple AFL Clubs as assistants.

Would like us to also look at both Buckley and Dew and seek out their interest.
Some might scoff at my mention of Dew but I think he was shafted by the Suns systemic cultural deficiencies, more so than his inability to Coach well.

We are a big Club that is well resourced and as such I can’t see why we don’t have a healthy and long list of interested aspiring Head Coaches applying for the position.

I trust Pyke to head up a well qualified panel to adequately conduct this search.
Pyke is astute, savvy and has a good head on his shoulders, therefore I look forward to the appointment that he and the panel come up with in due course.

It’s actually an great opportunity for the Club to launch the next successful era to add to our Clubs rich history.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The list is horrible. We cannot be in denial any longer.
There is certainly work to do, but we do have some important bricks to build a team around.

Allen is an A+ forward when fit and will be the leader of the future forwardline

Reid is gonna be one of the best midfielders of the modern era. If the new coach can get Ginbey back into being a bullocking pack-buster instead of Simmo's "stand off the contest for a handball receive" ballboy, we'll be more than formidable there too.

Biggest issue I see for us in the short term is the backline with the eventual loss of Gov and Barrass.

There is certainly work to do, but we do have some important bricks to build a team around.

Allen is an A+ forward when fit and will be the leader of the future forwardline

Reid is gonna be one of the best midfielders of the modern era. If the new coach can get Ginbey back into being a bullocking pack-buster instead of Simmo's "stand off the contest for a handball receive" ballboy, we'll be more than formidable there too.

Biggest issue I see for us in the short term is the backline with the eventual loss of Gov and Barrass.
staggered that so many blame Simon for Ginbey's limitations - they we 100% obvious from game 1. He has been give time on the wing etc because he can not beat opponents to the ball. He has been supported not de tuned.

Cox would be a fantastic senior coach imo. So much so there’s been rumblings of him as a successor to Longmire even while the Swans are in really good shape. Also all that experience at a brilliantly run club would be nice to tap. I think the opportunity for him won’t be there while Sydney are going so well and he’s ready now.

Plenty of good other options too. The other thing with Coxy is that he is very close mates with Scooter who would also possibly be up for throwing his hat in the ring as it is - although would very likely be the youngest of the applicants. Also couldn’t hurt to have access to the Collingwood blueprints. Maybe we could get them both back over here, with Selwood as an assistant still. Nothing to do with former players (that’s just a bonus for settling in) - both gun coaches in the making

Last edited:

What I do want is that the Club conduct a thorough and extensive search for suitable candidates.

As much as it pisses me off, with the medias obsession to link any prospect coach who once played for us, as being the preferred option, I do think that both Hanson and Cox are well credentialed and worthy names to throw into the discussion, regardless of who they once played for.

I do however as a general rule, rate higher those candidates, who have a more diverse coaching background, more highly than those who don’t, meaning those who have been a Senior Coach at a lower level and or, those who have had exposure to multiple AFL Clubs as assistants.

Some might scoff at my mention of Dew but I think he was shafted by the Suns systemic cultural deficiencies, more so than his inability to Coach well.

We are a big Club that is well resourced and as such I can’t see why we don’t have a healthy and long list of interested aspiring Head Coaches applying for the position.

I trust Pyke to head up a well qualified panel to adequately conduct this search.
Pyke is astute, savvy and has a good head on his shoulders, therefore I look forward to the appointment that he and the panel come up with in due course.

It’s actually an great opportunity for the Club to launch the next successful era to add to our Clubs rich history.

I thought about Dew but couldn’t quite convince myself he’d be the best option.

That said, I agree with you that he shouldn’t be too harshly judged on his Gold Coast record - Hardwick is only getting marginally better results than Dew did

Where Dew could be of significant value is a role as head of development. We have a lot of young players with more to come in the next couple of drafts and Dew has shown an ability at the Suns to work with youngsters

Replacing Simpson is just one part of what needs to be done and our coaching panel needs an overhaul

I’d be retaining Shuey who appears to have built a good rapport with our young mids plus one of Knights or Schofield but not both. Webster I think goes

So we’d be looking at two new assistants and then beefing up development as I mentioned above

Might have to reach into those cash reserves and eat a bit of soft cap luxury tax and simultaneously go to the AFL and negotiate how are payout to Simpson is treated to minimise its impact on the soft cap. My argument would be that only 6 months of his contract should be included since other clubs have the luxury of the 6 month payout clause for sacked coaches

One for the true believers… Peter Sumich has said he will go back into the club in a coaching role if dean cox gets the job and is asked as they are good mates who chat each week. ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One for the true believers… Peter Sumich has said he will go back into the club in a coaching role if dean cox gets the job and is asked as they are good mates who chat each week. ..

That salty piece of shit can **** right off. Torched every bridge to the club he had and is a grade A w***er in the media and in person. Was my favourite player growing up and that changed the second I met him.

Oh geez, where do we sign?

But anyway - the suggestion of Dew by Monocle is a good one. Agree that the time on the Gold Coast shouldn't be held against him given the nature of that club.

At the least can we hire Dew as Head of development.

In the fallout, all the talking heads are on about was that simmo wasn't a 'development' coach and was more a strategy coach. I have no idea if this holds water, suffice to say he seemed to manage the biggest 18yo draftee in history ok.

Either way, it's obvious the club will soon have a very young list, likely similar to gold coasts when Dew took over.

Brennan and co needs a clean out.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cox would be a fantastic senior coach imo. So much so there’s been rumblings of him as a successor to Longmire even while the Swans are in really good shape. Also all that experience at a brilliantly run club would be nice to tap. I think the opportunity for him won’t be there while Sydney are going so well and he’s ready now.

Plenty of good other options too. The other thing with Coxy is that he is very close mates with Scooter who would also possibly be up for throwing his hat in the ring as it is - although would very likely be the youngest of the applicants. Also couldn’t hurt to have access to the Collingwood blueprints. Maybe we could get them both back over here, with Selwood as an assistant still. Nothing to do with former players (that’s just a bonus for settling in) - both gun coaches in the making
Lovin the Scooter Selwood suggestion. Looks to be doing very well at Collingwood and is former VC. Would be a good fit although a bit inexperienced

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back