Club Focus Collingwood 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Is there any reason why Ed Allan has only played the one AFL game?? Stats wise from a VFL perspective seems pretty good by the looks of it and I remember reading in the pre season that he was burning up the track.

First round draft pick who I thought would have at least nearly locked down a spot in the best 22 by now.

Is there any reason why Ed Allan has only played the one AFL game?? Stats wise from a VFL perspective seems pretty good by the looks of it and I remember reading in the pre season that he was burning up the track.

First round draft pick who I thought would have at least nearly locked down a spot in the best 22 by now.

Unfortunately he hasn’t really come on like most supporters would have hoped.

Doesn’t find enough footy and doesn’t use either his size, nor his testing top end speed, like he should.

Still got a fair bit of time to prove himself, since he’s contracted until the end of 2026, but he’d want to pull a finger out.

Unfortunately he hasn’t really come on like most supporters would have hoped.

Doesn’t find enough footy and doesn’t use either his size, nor his testing top end speed, like he should.

Still got a fair bit of time to prove himself, since he’s contracted until the end of 2026, but he’d want to pull a finger out.
Isn't speed one of his biggest strengths?

We don't really have much that would net us a 1st.

Daicos, Moore, Degoey, Maynard are untouchable.

Only one I can really think of is Quaynor.

Can't see any others netting us a First.

I agree with not having much currency, but why are those 4 untouchable?

Quaynor not worth anywhere near a first round pick after this season.

I agree with not having much currency, but why are those 4 untouchable?

Quaynor not worth anywhere near a first round pick after this season.

Your telling me Q wouldn't get a pick 10-15?

I was pretty conservative with my list.

Not a chance.

If Collingwood got offered that they should take it and run.

Each to their own. But he’s only 24 years old and very unlucky not to have made all Australian last year, after pretty exponential improvements year on year.

And this year although his performances have been down, he has been battling through games dealing with turf toe.

Ultimately class is permanent and form is temporary. I don’t doubt he’ll bounce back next year.

IMO plenty of clubs would be keep to pay up a late first rounder for him. But given he’s in an age demographic we could least afford to lose there’s no chance he’d be available.

Plus he’ll potentially get a chance to play with his brother (maybe even brothers) in the coming years which I’m sure he’ll relish.

Last edited:
Your telling me Q wouldn't get a pick 10-15?

I was pretty conservative with my list.
Getting a pick in that range is pretty easy as you're talking about a club in contention who want to bring in a good best 22 player to fill a list need. I'd imagine a club would be willing to part ways with their first, it's just a matter of which contending club would like to fill that need, interesting speculation. Who would that be? I'd imagine there could even be pick swaps our way. Dismissing Quaynor's value in a down year would be silly by both Collingwood and potential suitors. That said, very little chance the club would push him out.

Having watched Adelaide last night, I loved the look of Berry who I heard rumblings we were keen. If Berry keeps his form up we'd be buying high though. Just who we need TBH.

Last edited:
Getting a pick in that range is pretty easy as you're talking about a club in contention who want to bring in a good best 22 player to fill a list need. I'd imagine a club would be willing to part ways with their first, it's just a matter of which contending club would like to fill that need, interesting speculation. Who would that be? I'd imagine there could even be pick swaps our way. Dismissing Quaynor's value in a down year would be silly by both Collingwood and potential suitors. That said, very little chance the club would push him out.

Having watched Adelaide last night, I loved the look of Berry who I heard rumblings we were keen. If Berry keeps his form up we'd be buying high though. Just who we need TBH.
I'll drive him to the airport for you, send us your F1.

Pies have an ordinary record dealing future picks, 2021 first ended up pick 2, Schultz for what now looks 7/8'ish and swapped this years second and third with the Hawks thinking it was a tidy upgrade and that's now looking like a downgrade!

Better do what you always, roll out the $ for some FA

Will be 3 or 4 years before the Pies play finals again.

Their list is diabolical.

Summer of 2023/2024 has set them back 3 years.

• Schultz trade
  • Not making the hard calls on Cox, Elliott, Howe
  • Not bringing in a key forward
  • Over rating their backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Schultz trade
Cox, Elliott and Howe all have their worth to us still. The poor drafting has resulted in a bad VFL side void of emerging talents to take over from the older crew.

Nathan Murphy’s retirement has left a gaping hole in our defence. He was purely defensive and mopped up a lot of mistakes and covered for our mostly attacking back’s style of play. It will be tough to find somebody like him. The Pies should be guilty of thinking their back line was one of the best, as it simply was one of the best for the two previous seasons.

They need to hit the next trade period looking for cheap AFL ready players. They tried to do it with Bytel/Long who have provided nothing

If im Collingwood this off season im wanting a deep cut. Maybe 7 to go. Lost 2 to retirement but then id say buy to Eyre, Bytel, Long, Steene and Begg

Im then probably doing something crazy and aiming for 4 experienced bodies. They have no trade assets to will need to pick these up as well freebies. Id be going after

Will Brodie
Adam Tomlinson
Nick Haynes
Nick Bryan

Haynes lets Howe stay full tine up forward. Brodie gives them grunt when Mitchell is out and lets De Goey and Daicos move to a less contested game style. Nick Bryan allows them to move on from Cox and get a ruck who can let Cameron spend more time up forward. They need a ruck who is good around the ground and not just a hitout guy. I think even Tim English is worth a shout too if they have salary cap room avalabl. Tomlinson just feels like best free option. Not sure he suits 100% but the price is right. Can probably get all of that by moving from pick pick 44 to pick 60 or the like. Next year can go in with

FB: Quaynor, Moore, Maynard
HB: Daicos, Tomlinson, Haynes
C: Daicos, Mitchell, Crisp
HF: Schultz, Mihocek, Howe
FF: Hill, McStay, Cameron
R: Bryan, Pendles, De Goey
I/C: Brodie, Elliot, Lipinski, McCreery

Almost feel like Schultz isnt best 22 sadly enough. Probably gets a game cos of cost. Id say Hoskin-Elliot better player for that team

Last edited:
Cox, Elliott and Howe all have their worth to us still. The poor drafting has resulted in a bad VFL side void of emerging talents to take over from the older crew.

Nathan Murphy’s retirement has left a gaping hole in our defence. He was purely defensive and mopped up a lot of mistakes and covered for our mostly attacking back’s style of play. It will be tough to find somebody like him. The Pies should be guilty of thinking their back line was one of the best, as it simply was one of the best for the two previous seasons.

I agree they have value, but unfortunately, good list management requires tough conversations to be had. They didnt make the hard calls.

Howe is easily replaced. Theres heaps of small forward with better outputs that Elliott.

Hawthorn and Geelong have made hard calls all throughout their successful periods. Collingwood had the chance to do so and missed it.

I agree they have value, but unfortunately, good list management requires tough conversations to be had. They didnt make the hard calls.

Howe is easily replaced. Theres heaps of small forward with better outputs that Elliott.

Hawthorn and Geelong have made hard calls all throughout their successful periods. Collingwood had the chance to do so and missed it.
As if you would make hard calls after you won the premiership 1 week earlier. Thats just captain hindsight rubbish

I’m willing to hear arguments as to why sending players into retirement days after winning a premiership is good list management and for good for club culture but I don’t think you’ll be able to provide any good reasons.

We aren’t bad because we are reliant on old players. We are bad because prime players have dropped off this year and we have stocked up on too many DFA/SSP type players who aren’t at the level required.

I think you’ll find Geelong have only lost two players to retirement since 2022 so they’re not a good comparison. Hawthorn didn’t exactly gain anything by trading the likes of Mitchell and Lewis when they did either.

I’m willing to hear arguments as to why sending players into retirement days after winning a premiership is good list management and for good for club culture but I don’t think you’ll be able to provide any good reasons.

We aren’t bad because we are reliant on old players. We are bad because prime players have dropped off this year and we have stocked up on too many DFA/SSP type players who aren’t at the level required.

I think you’ll find Geelong have only lost two players to retirement since 2022 so they’re not a good comparison. Hawthorn didn’t exactly gain anything by trading the likes of Mitchell and Lewis when they did either.

This is easy.

Heres my arguments.

Cox is in the bottom 10% of players in the AFL. You move him on and provide a list spot to develop another tall. Opening up his list spot provides significant value for a younger player to be provided opportunties. His on field output is non existent.

Howe should have been delisted. His body is continually failing him. You can only carry so may 30+ players with injury history like his. They should have given Charlie Dean more responsibility and elevated a younger defender to play more consistently.

Elliotts body is completely cooked, and lets be honest, theres 30 to 40 players in the league that play his role to the same level. He is cooked. You move forward with Joe Richards and Harvey Harrison and expose them at the level to enhance their development. He is hurting their development.

This is what hawthorn and Geelong have done well.

You move on Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Shiels, Gunston*, Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman, Josh Hunt etc etc and it all provides development opportunities for younger players.

• Schultz trade
I'd have Quaynor still worth a late first, too many other runs on the board and a good age. I'd also say Pies are a chance of being good again next year but it would be very hard to actually be contenders, kind of like Geelong, but unlike Geelong (who have better youth) it would fall apart after that.

I think for better worse they won't go the burn it down option though. It could be a lot of pain but at the same time, Pies have list building avenues that we don't so it could turn around quicker than you think.

No it isnt at all.

Its what sets you up for sustained success.

The writing was on the wall when they continued with Cox, Elliott, Howe, pendlebury, Sidebottom. 2 of those 5 should have tapped on the shoulder last year.
You top up for sustained success, not cast off players

I mean they got Jack Bytel and Ned Long in last year. You really think tapping Pendles and Elliot on the shoulder was going to lead them to better things?

This is easy.

Heres my arguments.

Cox is in the bottom 10% of players in the AFL. You move him on and provide a list spot to develop another tall. Opening up his list spot provides significant value for a younger player to be provided opportunties. His on field output is non existent.

Howe should have been delisted. His body is continually failing him. You can only carry so may 30+ players with injury history like his. They should have given Charlie Dean more responsibility and elevated a younger defender to play more consistently.

Elliotts body is completely cooked, and lets be honest, theres 30 to 40 players in the league that play his role to the same level. He is cooked. You move forward with Joe Richards and Harvey Harrison and expose them at the level to enhance their development. He is hurting their development.

This is what hawthorn and Geelong have done well.

You move on Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge, Shiels, Gunston*, Steve Johnson, Paul Chapman, Josh Hunt etc etc and it all provides development opportunities for younger players.
Yeah you’re way off, man.

Collingwood have two developing rucks in the VFL already. Cox would have been picked up by another club in an instant if we moved him on.

You mustn’t have watched too much of Howe this year as he is clearly deserving of a new deal and has played mostly great footy at both ends of the ground.

Elliott booted 39 goals last year and is still kicking 1.7 a game this year in an injury riddled year. To suggest he should have been sent into retirement is absolutely insane.

You seriously think the premiership winning team should have sent several players into retirement and replaced them with the last players available in the draft and SSP players?

Geelong and Hawthorn did not dump any of those players after a premiership. You even put up Liam Shiels who was moved on 7 years after Hawthorn’s last premiership. You’re way off.

Clearly a conflict of interest, but lets hope Michael Christians' son does well in the vfl today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Collingwood 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back