List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to The Age podcast today and they mentioned they spoke to a few club recruiters at the end of proceedings who thought bids for Quaynor and Kelly would come earlier than Collingwood imagine.

The Irony here is the fact that we dont have excessive points to play with, any team that puts in a higher than expected bid runs a greater risk of us not matching. That is, If a team dont really want the player and want us to pay more for them this becomes a far more risky situation than if we had pick 18.
To me, it means if a pick for IQ comes in at pick 10 - this is the true value of the player. We still match with our rights and discount and we add a top 10 draft pick player to beams and Kelly when he comes up. Size of the Deficit aside , its a win win.

How many clubs right now would be happy to go into max deficit to snare a top 10 draft pick ?

Surely we'll trade 57 for Pick 58,59 or 60 if a club wants to move up a couple of places so we can get the points attached to the pick.
Or we just use it as a live pick if we need to

Surely we'll trade 57 for Pick 58,59 or 60 if a club wants to move up a couple of places so we can get the points attached to the pick.

You would think so. If we do not then perhaps there is a "Hine special" that we are hoping slides down around that area ,in which case we may prefer to hold our position and deal with the increased points deficit next year.

Yes we could leave him there but as I understand it, we need to free up 2 RL spots, 1 for Broomy and 1 for 1 of our Irish recruits. Oxley's likely departure gives us 1. Where are you thinking the 2nd might come from?
I wasn't aware of anything about the Irish recruits being anything other than cat B until I read sr36 's response to you. I've also seen something suggesting Magden is cat B and I'm not really sure how many Cat A we can have so wasn't aware of any shortage of rookie spots available. Between me having less time to follow things these days and the recent rule changes regarding rookies I'm unsure of some things. I'm sure most things will sort themselves out.

I wasn't aware of anything about the Irish recruits being anything other than cat B until I read sr36 's response to you. I've also seen something suggesting Magden is cat B and I'm not really sure how many Cat A we can have so wasn't aware of any shortage of rookie spots available. Between me having less time to follow things these days and the recent rule changes regarding rookies I'm unsure of some things. I'm sure most things will sort themselves out.

Yeah, I think we've established that we can have 4-6 Cat A rookies (senior list 38-40) and 3 Cat B rookies, but only 1 of the Cat B rookies can be Irish. I think players have a maximum of 3 years on either list although I think the AFL can approve longer Cat A tenure if asked and there are reasons.

Article on Fox Sports:
DO COLLINGWOOD, NORTH MELBOURNE AND SYDNEY NEED MORE PICKS?

Collingwood, North Melbourne are Sydney appear to be the three big players in terms of the Academy and father-son prospects that could be picked up in the 2018 national draft.

The Pies have 1215 draft points all up and if a bid on NGA defender Isaac Quaynor came at Pick 12 — the Magpies would be able to cover that bid with their picks. But they wouldn’t be able to cover a bid for Will Kelly if that came in around Pick 25. Meaning they would have to go into second-round deficit in 2019.

North Melbourne have 1677 draft points and need to match bids for Tarryn Thomas (10-15 range), Bailey Scott (25-40) and Joel Crocker (late-rookie).

While Sydney traded down from Pick 13 to receive more points with later picks and appear all set to match a top-10 bid on Academy prospect Nick Blakey.

But there’s no doubting that Collingwood and North Melbourne could be involved in pick swaps over the coming weeks.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/4da7194a5a0e6f763a40bda8fa97e997

Another "journalist" attaching points to pick 57 which seems to fly in the face of the CBA.

It would be good to get some clarification on this so either they or us don't continue to look like idiots.

Yeah I'm still confused. I've tweeted the question to a few draft experts but no one has gotten back to me with an answer one way or another.

That would mean our picks 41, 44, 51 & 57 (1215 points if 57 counts) would become 35, 38, 45 & 52 (1580 points if 52 counts)

This was another question that I posed to the draft gurus; does your points balance move as the picks move in and out?

Geez it would be confusing trying to track all this on draft night. They must have 1 person at the table who's role it is to keep track of points balances.

If they do adjust to the new pick value we should be well placed to go up in draft points as Blakey and Thomas are likely to be bid on before IQ meaning all the Swans and North picks before ours will be swallowed up and we will move in as per your example above. Fingers crossed.

I would also ask the question of what is IQ worth to us even with the discount, we have a number of players well ahead of him playing that half back role. He maybe a perfect fit for another Club higher up the draft order, just because we have invested time and effort does not make him a certainty to get to us but by our posturing you would think this is hoe it will play out. They would be working through how we can improve the points situation and may even have to wait for the day when players may be still around after what Clubs had thought.

I am looking forward to the draft to see how it all unfolds. I think WK is a must and have a feeling he may be called on earlier than everyone thinks, hopefully not.

I would also ask the question of what is IQ worth to us even with the discount, we have a number of players well ahead of him playing that half back role. He maybe a perfect fit for another Club higher up the draft order, just because we have invested time and effort does not make him a certainty to get to us but by our posturing you would think this is hoe it will play out. They would be working through how we can improve the points situation and may even have to wait for the day when players may be still around after what Clubs had thought.

I am looking forward to the draft to see how it all unfolds. I think WK is a must and have a feeling he may be called on earlier than everyone thinks, hopefully not.

Will Kelly would be my priority too.

If Adelaide can't move up in the draft above Port they are are very likely to throw a bid on him at 13 or 16 (little inside info i got)

You'd be pretty dirty if IQ turned out to be a quality player and we missed out on him.
But it won't be one we will be able to judge for a few years.

Will Kelly would be my priority too.

If Adelaide can't move up in the draft above Port they are are very likely to throw a bid on him at 13 or 16 (little inside info i got)

You'd be pretty dirty if IQ turned out to be a quality player and we missed out on him.
But it won't be one we will be able to judge for a few years.
I’ve got a feeling we’d pass on Kelly. Pretty sure IQ was sitting with Hine and co a couple weeks ago at something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could do that on draft night though, right? Now live trading is permitted? And that way we will know how early the bids come, and what our points situation is, whether to keep 57 as a live selection or trade it back for points.

We could do that on draft night though, right? Now live trading is permitted? And that way we will know how early the bids come, and what our points situation is, whether to keep 57 as a live selection or trade it back for points.

Absolutely.

Hopefully Norths picks get chewed up.
Move us up the order a bit.

For those of you interested I emailed Michael Gleeson of The Age seeking clarification on the FA points issue and to his great credit he responded.

In his initial reply he confessed he was unaware of the provision within the CBA we had based are assumptions on and went on to say neither were some of the people from the clubs he had spoken to. He said he would seek further clarification.

He has since sent a second reply through telling me the AFL amended this provision earlier this year so FA compensation selections now have a points value.

Must say I could never understand why they shoudn't and common sense has prevailed.

Thanks Michael!

For those of you interested I emailed Michael Gleeson of The Age seeking clarification on the FA points issue and to his great credit he responded.

In his initial reply he confessed he was unaware of the provision within the CBA we had based are assumptions on and went on to say neither were some of the people from the clubs he had spoken to. He said he would seek further clarification.

He has since sent a second reply through telling me the AFL amended this provision earlier this year so FA compensation selections now have a points value.

Must say I could never understand why they shoudn't and common sense has prevailed.

Thanks Michael!
Good job all round! :thumbsu:

I am sure we have enough points for both Quaynor and Kelly even if we means we go into deficit next year.

Our draft and trade period next year could be boring though.

I just can't see a small defender worth a top 12 pick if he were to get an ealry bid i wouldn't be upset if we didn't match.
If we were still holding pick 18, then the decision to match or pass would be real (we may have other players rated higher than IQ or Kelly), hence may choose to use pick 18 as a live pick.
However, with our first live pick now in the 40’s...it becomes obvious, we will 100% match.
Otherwise we would have to then start selecting players with our later picks.
Choice: take a player rated as late first or early to mid 2nd Round OR pass & take players rated as 3rd Round prospects (not knowing who will be still available by then).
Mmmm, I wonder which strategy we choose...
Decision already made.

Thanks Michael!

swoop42, the best news breaker in the business. Sorry Damo, you've been de-throned.

#Swoop42IsTheBuzz

Last edited:
Where did buckenarra have IQ and kelly in his top 30 in yesterdays herald sun.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...t/news-story/3e632480d76f92ab844973d18586c028

21. WILL KELLY

Key defender, 193cm, 83kg, Oakleigh Chargers

Buckenara says: The son of Collingwood premiership player Craig Kelly, Will should be snapped up by the Magpies because he’s exactly what they need – a key defender. He had a good under-18 carnival and showed he can play on a variety of forwards because he’s very athletic. I’m positive he’ll join Darcy Moore, the Brown brothers and Josh Daicos as father-son recruits in black and white.

Plays like: Jake Kelly (Adelaide)

24. ISAAC QUAYNOR

Small defender, 182cm, 82kg, Oakleigh Chargers

Buckenara says: A versatile defender who can play both tall and small, Quaynor is quick and is able to use that to provide drive off half-back. He’s also a pretty good mark for his size. Quaynor is available to Collingwood via its Next Generation Academy and I don’t think they’ll let the opportunity to draft him pass them by.

Plays like: Lee Spurr (Fremantle)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back