List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

See post above.
Yeah just read it. Good point. I'd forgotten about the only one Irish rule.

Mihoceks promotion is still likely to happen post ND. before the rookie draft if this is possible. That way we can take an exra pick into nd, hich means we can still increase our points.

Yeah just read it. Good point. I'd forgotten about the only one Irish rule.

Mihoceks promotion is still likely to happen post ND. before the rookie draft if this is possible. That way we can take an exra pick into nd, hich means we can still increase our points.

Yeah, the timing of these things used to be straight forward but I think we're all a little unsure now with the changed dynamics of the draft.

Dpv8kR3UcAE6J7L.jpg

This sucks balls. We shouldn't be penalised for a stupid act we had no control over. What a waste of a vital list spot.
With the new rules we are allowed to replace players that retire or depart over the pre season.
Not sure exactly how it works...assume it’s VFL or other state league players?

2018 was the 3rd year in a row for Josh Thomas on the Rookie List, so he almost certainly needs to be elevated for next season. There shouldn't be any problem at all in leaving Mihocek on the R/L for another year.

This year we had 39 Primary List, 5 Category A Rookies and the 1 Category B Rookie. Perhaps we can move to 40/4 for next year. It will be interesting to find out what the story is with the Irish recruits regarding their rookie status. It does seem possible that the rule has been changed to allow more than one Irishman to be a Cat. B Rookie; it would of course be beneficial to us if this has happened. If the rule hasn't been altered given that there is a bit of a squeeze on for list spots it would be surprising that they brought in the two Irishmen, so I think it's rather likely the rule has been changed.

2018 was the 3rd year in a row for Josh Thomas on the Rookie List, so he almost certainly needs to be elevated for next season. There shouldn't be any problem at all in leaving Mihocek on the R/L for another year.

This year we had 39 Primary List, 5 Category A Rookies and the 1 Category B Rookie. Perhaps we can move to 40/4 for next year. It will be interesting to find out what the story is with the Irish recruits regarding their rookie status. It does seem possible that the rule has been changed to allow more than one Irishman to be a Cat. B Rookie; it would of course be beneficial to us if this has happened. If the rule hasn't been altered given that there is a bit of a squeeze on for list spots it would be surprising that they brought in the two Irishmen, so I think it's rather likely the rule has been changed.

Thomas got the 40th senior list spot in a preseason upgrade this year didn't he? Does he just retain that or do we go back to 39/5 for the purposes of the draft?

Thomas got the 40th senior list spot in a preseason upgrade this year didn't he? Does he just retain that or do we go back to 39/5 for the purposes of the draft?
As far as I know he would still officially be on the rookie list as of now. Mason Cox was the only player moved (permanently) from the r/l to the main one for 2018. We would need to elevate Thomas at (about) the time of the National Draft for him to be on the main list again. The Football Record all the way through this year has indicated (#) that he is still on the r/l. This is from the Prelim. Final Record:
upload_2018-10-18_11-58-47.png
The last time Thomas was drafted (or his status was permanently changed) was the 2016 Rookie Draft (held at the end of 2015), so that makes three seasons in succession on the Rookie List for him. Things obviously changed a fair bit for this season (and onwards) as far as Cat. A Rookies are concerned, with players able to play from rd. 1 without needing to be upgraded/nominated.

The Football Record Season Guide, (Champion Data's) AFL Prospectus and the excellent Draftguru website all have him on the R/L in 2018.

Last edited:
As far as I know he would still officially be on the rookie list as of now. Mason Cox was the only player moved (permanently) from the r/l to the main one for 2018. We would need to elevate Thomas at (about) the time of the National Draft for him to be on the main list again. The Football Record all the way through this year has indicated (#) that he is still on the r/l. This is from the Prelim. Final Record:
View attachment 575766
The last time Thomas was drafted (or his status was permanently changed) was the 2016 Rookie Draft (held at the end of 2015), so that makes three seasons in succession on the Rookie List for him. Things obviously changed a fair bit for this season (and onwards) as far as Cat. A Rookies are concerned, with players able to play from rd. 1 without needing to be upgraded/nominated.

The Football Record Season Guide, (Champion Data's) AFL Prospectus and the excellent Draftguru website all have him on the R/L in 2018.

Yeah, he definitely started on the RL. I am fairly sure he was elevated to that 40th spot preseason. Currently the club site has him among the 40 senior listed players. The Cox situation is different because he was formally elevated at the 2017 draft. I'm just not sure if we need to do the same with Thomas now but even if we do he just takes the spot he's already filling in the 40.

Yeah, he definitely started on the RL. I am fairly sure he was eleted to that 40th spot preseason. Currently the club site has him among the 40 senior listed players. The Cox situation is different because he was formally elevated at the 2017 draft. I'm just not sure if we need to do the same with Thomas now but even if we do he just takes the spot he's already filling in the 40.
I'm pretty sure the club has had it wrong on the website all season. During 2017 (when he was a Nominated Rookie and playing senior football) they put him on the page with the senior list players and never got around to moving him back to the rookie list page! They moved Cox and Henry Schade (both Nominated Rookies) as well. Here's what that page looked like in August of last year: http://web.archive.org/web/20170806210057/http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au:80/season/players/seniors

The lists for 2018 should have been finalised late last year. With the new system in place for this season, there's no need for Cat. A Rookies to be elevated/nominated for them to be able to play senior football. Under the old system those who were elevated/nominated always reverted back to the R/L at the end of the year. I'd imagine that Thomas will officially be upgraded at the time of the National Draft (as Cox was last year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure the club has had it wrong on the website all season. During 2017 (when he was a Nominated Rookie and playing senior football) they put him on the page with the senior list players and never got around to moving him back to the rookie list page! They moved Cox and Henry Schade (both Nominated Rookies) as well. Here's what that page looked like in August of last year: http://web.archive.org/web/20170806210057/http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au:80/season/players/seniors

The lists for 2018 should have been finalised late last year. With the new system in place for this season, there's no need for Cat. A Rookies to be elevated/nominated for them to be able to play senior football. Under the old system those who were elevated/nominated always reverted back to the R/L at the end of the year. I'd imagine that Thomas will officially be upgraded at the time of the National Draft (as Cox was last year).

I think we're arguing semantics. Prior to this season rookies could only be elevated due to LTI or to fill a list to full 40 player complement or at the draft. Can't recall which but 1 of Cox or Schade got the preseason (39 to 40) elevation in Jan-Feb 2017, the others were LTI promotions. At the 2017 draft, we formally elevated Cox and went into preseason with a senior list of 39 players and a rookie list of 5. I pretty sure Thomas was announced as the preseason elevation into that 40th spot in Jan - Feb this year making it 40/4. If the club site has a senior list of 40, still including Faz and Thomas, then even if Thomas has to return to the rookie list now, then he will likely be formally elevated back into that spot at the draft.

I think we're arguing semantics. Prior to this season rookies could only be elevated due to LTI or to fill a list to full 40 player complement or at the draft. Can't recall which but 1 of Cox or Schade got the preseason (39 to 40) elevation in Jan-Feb 2017, the others were LTI promotions. At the 2017 draft, we formally elevated Cox and went into preseason with a senior list of 39 players and a rookie list of 5. I pretty sure Thomas was announced as the preseason elevation into that 40th spot in Jan - Feb this year making it 40/4. If the club site has a senior list of 40, still including Faz and Thomas, then even if Thomas has to return to the rookie list now, then he will likely be formally elevated back into that spot at the draft.
Yes, we pretty much are! I'm sure Thomas will be officially upgraded at draft time.

Cox and Schade were elevated at the same time pre-season last year (http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-03-15/magpies-elevate-two-rookies) while Thomas' elevation would have been mid-season.

I just wish I could find something that says they have changed the rules for Irish Cat. B Rookies, because I struggle to see how we are going to fit everyone in (if only one can be a Cat. B still)!

It would be a shame if we couldn't fit Atu B. in somewhere, but it surely won't be an easy job. I'll be very disappointed if McLarty isn't kept on, not giving him a game in two years seems a bit rude, but his position on the list must be in some doubt.

Collingwood's late deal to finally land Dayne Beams leaves the Pies with 1222 draft points in total, which they'll need to spend on NGA prospect Isaac Quaynor (a bid is expected on him around pick 15) and father-son defender Will Kelly (a bid could come around the pick 25 mark).

Alone, the 1222 points will be enough to pay for Quaynor (given the discount they receive), and if the Pies need to go into a points deficit for Kelly, it will likely only impact their second-round pick next year.

Collingwood's late deal to finally land Dayne Beams leaves the Pies with 1222 draft points in total, which they'll need to spend on NGA prospect Isaac Quaynor (a bid is expected on him around pick 15) and father-son defender Will Kelly (a bid could come around the pick 25 mark).

Alone, the 1222 points will be enough to pay for Quaynor (given the discount they receive), and if the Pies need to go into a points deficit for Kelly, it will likely only impact their second-round pick next year.

I'd much preferred it impact our 2019 1st round pick. I'm sure the Bears wouldn't mind.

So after Quaynor and Kelly were only going to have to take one live pick? am i correct in saying that?
I don't believe you still need to pick a minimum of three players in the National Draft; you can e.g. take two selections and elevate one rookie. Last year Adelaide took just two players, and elevated two rookies.

The current rules: (d) Number of Draft Selections
(i) At a National Draft Selection Meeting:
(A) each Club shall exercise a minimum of 3 Draft selections (including selections forfeited under Rules 8.7, 10.11(a), 13.4(b), 14.4(d) and 15.8(b)); and
(B) no Club may exercise more than 3 Draft selections if the consequence would be that it would exceed the number of Players which it is entitled to include on its Primary List pursuant to these Rules.

10.11 Inclusion of Rookie List Player onto Primary List
(a) Primary List
A Club may apply to the AFL to transfer a Player or Players from its Rookie List onto its Primary List:

(i) on the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 6.1 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33. In which case, the Club shall forfeit its last selection or, if more than one player, its last and each previous draft selection at the National AFL Draft Selection meeting.
(ii) in the case of a Category B Rookie, under Rule 26.1(b); or
(iii) at any time between the National Draft Selection Meeting and the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 7.1, if a Player’s name has been deleted from that Club’s List under Rule 7.6 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33.

Would getting the 2 Tall Irish Boys mean we could pass on Will Kelly IF Bid comes for him Early?
Nah, the only thing which might prevent us taking Kelly would be if the bid comes unjustifiably early.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Academy Kids

Remove this Banner Ad

Back