Collingwood captain for 2023 and beyond

Who will captain in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

sidebottom is no longer in the leadership group. Probably self explanatory he wont be captain. Probably past it given his age as well.
I refuse to let logic dictate my wishes.....

Darcy's advantage would be that he is the right man for all the stuff other than the actual football. In contrast, Pendles has mainly focussed on the football-related things about the role. I'm not entirely sure about a change in emphasis. I like Adams because to me he reinforces the importance of winning premierships. I accept his injuries could be a problem, then I say go for Jack Crisp. Uncomplicated, focussed on game day.
Have to disagree there. I think you are talking about talent in particular areas - maybe that Darcy would be a good media front - but surely you can't be suggesting issues around performance. Darcy has proven both consistency and brilliance, with (albeit) sporadic moments of doing the right thing at the right time - the captain's goal type stuff. Bucks was awesome at that, when we needed a goal he kicked it. Not Maxwell's forte but when body needed to be put on line his was there. Adams stands out with his focus, his sacrifice but regularly makes clangers - not a good look for a captain. And, as you note, a captaincy from the side lines doesn't rate. Crisp has certainly shown that ability to step up, to take the game on when needed and no more than this year in that. Nevertheless, the big question for me is why he hasn't been in the leadership group for the past few years.

Have to disagree there. I think you are talking about talent in particular areas - maybe that Darcy would be a good media front - but surely you can't be suggesting issues around performance. Darcy has proven both consistency and brilliance, with (albeit) sporadic moments of doing the right thing at the right time - the captain's goal type stuff. Bucks was awesome at that, when we needed a goal he kicked it. Not Maxwell's forte but when body needed to be put on line his was there. Adams stands out with his focus, his sacrifice but regularly makes clangers - not a good look for a captain. And, as you note, a captaincy from the side lines doesn't rate. Crisp has certainly shown that ability to step up, to take the game on when needed and no more than this year in that. Nevertheless, the big question for me is why he hasn't been in the leadership group for the past few years.

Not talking about footy. I'm talking about his eloquence in front of the media. He will attract a lot of attention from people who want his opinion about a whole range of issues, which he has expressed already to some extent. I can see Darcy being invited on the project and they will hardly bother to ask questions about footy...

Not talking about footy. I'm talking about his eloquence in front of the media. He will attract a lot of attention from people who want his opinion about a whole range of issues, which he has expressed already to some extent. I can see Darcy being invited on the project and they will hardly bother to ask questions about footy...

Is that so terrible though if it’s not impacting on performance?

He’s a super intelligent guy, surely it’s a net positive for Collingwood (and the game as a whole) if our public-facing figures are well-rounded and educated men who are still incredible athletes at the top of their game. Showcasing the modern footballer, moving away from the ‘footy culture’ of the past.

He's a good player. Some of the things I'm talking are not about the level or his intent on the field. I want to see a fair and just organisation but I dont see it as a policy institute or a body that leads the community in non-football things. I would argue that Pendels has taken the right approach in the last 9 years.
So, what is Darcy leading in the community that makes him less desirable as captain?

I see your point Markfs but its 2022. Every Captain of the pies has brought something different to the table in my lifetime. I am happy with what Darcy brings to the table in terms of playing performance. If the club and players are happy with his leadership I don't mind him having a bit more of a voice off the field. I thought his and his team mates voice around the release of the do better report was better than what we were getting from our board. Captaining Collingwood is one of the leading sporting captaincies in Australia. Wouldn't hurt if we had a leader that engaged in some community leadership. Rightly or wrongly it is what is being demanded of modern sporting bodies.

He’s a super intelligent guy, surely it’s a net positive for Collingwood (and the game as a whole) if our public-facing figures are well-rounded and educated men who are still incredible athletes at the top of their game. Showcasing the modern footballer, moving away from the ‘footy culture’ of the past.

There could be a chance to change perceptions of footy for non-footy people, but I just want to see the focus on winning premierships. I don't want to some reference at the end of the year that we didnt do well on the field but we managed to "shine a light" on something in the community...

Thats the only point that I'm making. I like a separation of roles and if someone is talking about non[footy related matters, it should be the president...

So, what is Darcy leading in the community that makes him less desirable as captain?

Wait and see how he fills the role... I'm merely saying that i would prefer someone who I am confident will stick to the role of captain....which is leading the footy team to win a premiership..

wouldn't mind another year from Pendles but i think Darcy or Tay would definitely serve as skipper with distinction.
Not a fan of co-captains.
reckon Billy would go alright as well.
we definitely don't want Bruzzy acting all responsible and leader like.

I see your point Markfs but its 2022. Every Captain of the pies has brought something different to the table in my lifetime. I am happy with what Darcy brings to the table in terms of playing performance. If the club and players are happy with his leadership I don't mind him having a bit more of a voice off the field. I thought his and his team mates voice around the release of the do better report was better than what we were getting from our board. Captaining Collingwood is one of the leading sporting captaincies in Australia. Wouldn't hurt if we had a leader that engaged in some community leadership. Rightly or wrongly it is what is being demanded of modern sporting bodies.

well you made a good point. The president wasn't doing his role. It's not the captain's job to do the president's job.

AFL clubs are given a lot of money these days to do a lot of things other than footy. This is because they are more important in australian society than the churches....There are millions of people following AFL teams. Most churches are empty. Government bodies have no credibility, so gov'ts want AFL clubs to spread the word for fitness and equality and all the other things in life.... Banks want to tag along to spring clean their reputations....

I just want a club that wins premierships....and 40 blokes to focus on that..

The bolded goes against the notion of the no teeth wearing Broadie Nike (moccasins) supporters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing so much love and advocacy for Darcy Moore from both people and the media, but I can’t quite understand why there isn’t enough support for Taylor Adams.

I’ve always viewed him as the successor to Scott Pendlebury.

Tough as nails, no frills, leads from the front, puts the club ahead of himself and has an impeccable off field record. Easy choice for me.
Misses far too many games through injury each year. You want your captain on the ground as often as possible.

well you made a good point. The president wasn't doing his role. It's not the captain's job to do the president's job.

AFL clubs are given a lot of money these days to do a lot of things other than footy. This is because they are more important in australian society than the churches....There are millions of people following AFL teams. Most churches are empty. Government bodies have no credibility, so gov'ts want AFL clubs to spread the word for fitness and equality and all the other things in life.... Banks want to tag along to spring clean their reputations....

I just want a club that wins premierships....and 40 blokes to focus on that..
Well put Markfs. I don't want a world led morally by sporting heros anymore than one led by rockstars, actors, billionaires or supposed royalty. I would hope Darcy would rise to the occasion and lead the pies with honour.

Well put Markfs. I don't want a world led morally by sporting heros anymore than one led by rockstars, actors, billionaires or supposed royalty. I would hope Darcy would rise to the occasion and lead the pies with honour.

Exactly. I want the captain to say things like "I'm just concentrating on the game this week"...

If people want to understand what I'm talking about, it's a bit like what buckley was doing. Very entertaining for Fox and the rest of the media....very interesting for other footy supporters. However Mcrae focuses on the next game and the simple messages repeated over and over. I dont want an entertaining captain. I want a boring one that focuses on doing the things that win games.

watch the first few minutes of this and see how pendles reacts....and the way he deflects the question to talk about his son....I hope darcy can do similar things

watch the first few minutes of this and see how pendles reacts....and the way he deflects the question to talk about his son....I hope darcy can do similar things

Did you watch Darc on the Channel 7 panel on Grand Final day when he was asked if Tom Papley pushed him in the back during the PF? Politician-worthy deflection!

Its funny Markfs, as good as that deflection was he then went on to throw Ginni to the wolves to make a point. I'd never heard about the beers saga I guess.
At the end of the day I don't think any of the candidates do a bad job in front of the media and I don't think their performance is that critical in terms of pies winning premierships. Pendles is the model of off-field leadership, but for me I would like to see quality onfield be the key. Darcy for me is the most capable of this. Taylor is the most capable of being a dud with one of those ground level passes. Maynard is capable of team leading play but sporadically, mainly tackles. Crisp has shown the ability to lift the pace. Darcy, in his intercepting role, can so often appear the hero. He ticks more boxes for me.

Its funny Markfs, as good as that deflection was he then went on to throw Ginni to the wolves to make a point. I'd never heard about the beers saga I guess.
At the end of the day I don't think any of the candidates do a bad job in front of the media and I don't think their performance is that critical in terms of pies winning premierships. Pendles is the model of off-field leadership, but for me I would like to see quality onfield be the key. Darcy for me is the most capable of this. Taylor is the most capable of being a dud with one of those ground level passes. Maynard is capable of team leading play but sporadically, mainly tackles. Crisp has shown the ability to lift the pace. Darcy, in his intercepting role, can so often appear the hero. He ticks more boxes for me.

fair enough

Did you watch Darc on the Channel 7 panel on Grand Final day when he was asked if Tom Papley pushed him in the back during the PF? Politician-worthy deflection!

well thats good but I would expect every player to say that's the umpires opinion etc etc.

I gave an example where pendles was something that wasnt his responsibility. He made it known that it wasnt. He said the club was dealing with it. He didnt have to mention his son to deflect. He had dealt with the matter.

I would hope Darcy when asked about do better, does the same. It's not for him to give an opinion on it.

btw this is the end of this discussion. I had my say.

well thats good but I would expect every player to say that's the umpires opinion etc etc.

I gave an example where pendles was something that wasnt his responsibility. He made it known that it wasnt. He said the club was dealing with it. He didnt have to mention his son to deflect. He had dealt with the matter.

I would hope Darcy when asked about do better, does the same. It's not for him to give an opinion on it.

btw this is the end of this discussion. I had my say.

FWIW Darc was asked about the Jordan de Goey Bali scandal, seeing as he was also in Bali at the time and managed to return scandal-free. I remember thinking he did a great job of acknowledging the situation, praising the club’s handling of it, and steering the conversation elsewhere. To be honest I think all the senior players have had some degree of media training.

The only awkward media encounter I’ve seen recently-ish was when some journalists accosted Taylor Adams walking to his car, which he did not appreciate. I think about the JDG Bali situation also. A big “go away, no comment” vibe. Comedy gold struck though when his car boot lid took an agonizingly long time to open 🤣

Takes me back to Billy being asked to talk about how the club is going - “I really can’t be bothered”. Gold.

FWIW Darc was asked about the Jordan de Goey Bali scandal, seeing as he was also in Bali at the time and managed to return scandal-free. I remember thinking he did a great job of acknowledging the situation, praising the club’s handling of it, and steering the conversation elsewhere. To be honest I think all the senior players have had some degree of media training.

The only awkward media encounter I’ve seen recently-ish was when some journalists accosted Taylor Adams walking to his car, which he did not appreciate. I think about the JDG Bali situation also. A big “go away, no comment” vibe. Comedy gold struck though when his car boot lid took an agonizingly long time to open 🤣

Takes me back to Billy being asked to talk about how the club is going - “I really can’t be bothered”. Gold.
It's not comedy gold if it doesn't include a ranga.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood captain for 2023 and beyond

Back