Confirmed Jack Lukosius - Joins Port Adelaide as part of a 3-way trade with Collingwood and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

No chance Rachelle signed a long term deal that doesn’t pay him significant amounts in its later years. His wage will increase every year until he is one of the highest few paid players on your team.
He won't be on anything close to Laird even on later years, more than likely 7 years at $650K which is still a lot of money for a 19-20 years old.

Yep, great fit for Port and think he'll do very well there.

If Marshall and Dixon do both indeed retire, do you think Port will look internal or external for that second replacement? Or look to a smaller forward line?

Still have Lord, so I can see them playing 3 talls still, along with MG. Lord had a shocking injury at the wrong time of preseason, which probably threw his whole season

They do. In this case the main thing that changed was the senior coach.

I don't think it's "Lukosius doesn't want to live on the Gold Coast". I think it's "Lukosius and Hardwick don't see eye to eye".
Perhaps. Might be wanting to get some draft capital as well. I know he was considering coming back to SA before dimma though.

$650K isn't big bucks, it isn't 7 years at $800K like Lukosius (a few years too much).

OK, so 800K is too much for 6 years, even though its less than Adelaides offer ?

1727306951801.png

So 6 years x 800K = 4.8 million over the 6 years.

Yet, a prominent ITK Crows poster, when he thought that Lukosius was heading to the Crows thought 4.25 million over 5 years was fine.
Rozee was always your target and Lukosius was ours so if we end up with both Rankine and Lukosius then who has been tracking them. Unless Lukosius decide to take a pay cut in the money owned to him in the next 2 years as GCS underpaid him in his first 2 years, I would expect he will get paid the $2M in the next 2 years and than offer another 2-3 years at $750K.

Jack has just turned 24, so another 6 years in the system is a no brainer for a player of his type, in fact Id expect he goes a few years past that unless injury takes him out. So based on the numbers above, Port has Jack for 4.25 over 5 years andgets him for 550K for the 6th year (4.25m + 550k = 4.8m). You should be jumping up and down at the smart dealing which leaves us space for Cumming (if he chooses us) and Perryman (if he chooses us).

Isnt this pretty straight forward for a F1?
You'd think so, on the basis of a) Port getting a first rounder in for Houston from whoever or b) if that doesn't happen for whatever reason the AFL ticking off on Port trading out of the first round 3 out of 4 years. Which I think Cal said on gettable yesterday that the AFL would tick off on it (why wouldn't they? They make rules and then don't stick to them anyway) as Port would argue that they traded in a number 1 pick in JHF and potentially a number 2 pick if GC accept F1.

Why isn’t it comparable? Whilst not necessarily a top 10 pick for a third rounder, maybe still a pick upgrade.

They are both heavily back ended contracts the Suns wanted to get out off.
I don't think the need to dump Luko is as high as it was with Bowes. I believe Bowes staying would have completely ****ed up their cap, whereas Luko staying probably means they cant fit Dusty and Rioli in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or a repeat of the Bowes trade a few years ago given the Suns clearly want to off load his salary.
You assume Suns cap is in trouble. Based on what?

In the coming season, TPP goes up 2M, that's more than 10%. Most teams have money. Suns also off-loaded a lot of money recently (just Bowes + Rankine I guess around 1.5M) and can do the same next year.

How about the primary reason why Suns told Luko to look around if he wants - He does not fit into Dimma plan. Long-term it's King, Walter, Read, Andrew playing forward. Drafting all those tall talented kids (2 locals) changed the dynamic of Suns team.

It will be handy to off-load Luko back ended salary no doubt especially when he could struggle to play in the best 22. It's cap issue as primary reason? I don't believe it. With TPP going up 4.3M over 2023-2026, 1M becomes 700-800K. Get use to 5 plus millionaires on each team.

The trade will tell us. I expect F1 to be involved with something coming back. IMO, Bowes scenario is highly unlikely.

You assume Suns cap is in trouble. Based on what?

In the coming season, TPP goes up 2M, that's more than 10%. Most teams have money. Suns also off-loaded a lot of money recently (just Bowes + Rankine I guess around 1.5M) and can do the same next year.

How about the primary reason why Suns told Luko to look around if he wants - He does not fit into Dimma plan. Long-term it's King, Walter, Read and potentially Andrew playing forward. Drafting all those tall talented kids changed the dynamic of Suns team.

It will be handy to off-load Luko back ended salary no doubt especially when he could struggle to play in the best 22. It's cap issue as primary reason? I don't believe it. With TPP going up 4.3M over 2023-2026, 1M becomes 700-800K. Get use to 5 plus millionaires on each team.

The trade will tell us. I expect F1 to be involved with something coming back. IMO, Bowes scenario is highly unlikely.
I agree with this and have said it all along. Future first with something coming back. Hoping it’s one of your second rounders this year, but that might be optimistic. Obviously the higher it is the better for us.

OK, so 800K is too much for 6 years, even though its less than Adelaides offer ?

View attachment 2122082

So 6 years x 800K = 4.8 million over the 6 years.

Yet, a prominent ITK Crows poster, when he thought that Lukosius was heading to the Crows thought 4.25 million over 5 years was fine.

Jack has just turned 24, so another 6 years in the system is a no brainer for a player of his type, in fact Id expect he goes a few years past that unless injury takes him out. So based on the numbers above, Port has Jack for 4.25 over 5 years andgets him for 550K for the 6th year (4.25m + 550k = 4.8m). You should be jumping up and down at the smart dealing which leaves us space for Cumming (if he chooses us) and Perryman (if he chooses us).
4-5 years isn't 7 years. We offer more money per year (probably $50K more) but less years.

4-5 years isn't 7 years.

And 6 years with a trigger isnt 7 years. You have stated you are happy with 5 years and 4.25 million dollars .... Would you in that case be happy with a sixth at an extra 550 ?

And 6 years with a trigger isnt 7 years. You have stated you are happy with 5 years and 4.25 million dollars .... Would you in that case be happy with a sixth at an extra 550 ?
Trigger? I thought it was reported at 7 years yesterday by multiple media so will be like Rozee with 7 years left on his contract?

It isn't 6 thought, it was reported at 7 and no mention of trigger yesterday by multiple media sources so that another at least $1M from the salary cap.

Trigger? I thought it was reported at 7 years yesterday by multiple media so will be like Rozee with 7 years left on his
Are you going to answer my question:
You have stated you are happy with 5 years and 4.25 million dollars .... Would you in that case be happy with a sixth at an extra 550 ?

From 6 minutes in:
:
I know six has been mentioned as the power offer, I think it will be 7, I think it will be a 7 year contract in total. I know you can get stuck in the weeds of triggers and the like.
The key here is Sam "Thinks" rather than knows, and then softens it by talking triggers.

Where are the "multiple" media reports of a fixed 7 year deal ?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Jack Lukosius - Joins Port Adelaide as part of a 3-way trade with Collingwood and Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back