List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

I’m not privy to what players earn what but one team playing tomorrow is known to have a number of players that are taking unders in the pursuit of team glory.
FWIW I support the CFC not the BGFC.
So basically you don't know, but still feel that's enough information to have a good old fashioned crack at a player who has been one of our best, but now is seen to be not needed. Maybe just maybe, we could say "it's just not working out how we planned" rather than having the need to personally insult every player we try to trade out.

I thought De Goey was locked in? Why would he all of a sudden leave

So basically you don't know, but still feel that's enough information to have a good old fashioned crack at a player who has been one of our best, but now is seen to be not needed. Maybe just maybe, we could say "it's just not working out how we planned" rather than having the need to personally insult every player we try to trade out.
Know enough to spot a fisherman

You’re misunderstanding it. GC are literally giving away pick 7 as a sweetener to any club who takes Bowes off their hands and is willing to fully honour the remaining 2 years of his back-ended contract, at $800K pa.

So, if you’re willing to spend $800K pa of your salary cap for the next 2 years, you can have Bowes and pick 7 without having to send anything back the other way.

It’s very tempting, especially if we lose DeGoey.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No, I completely understand how salary dumps work. But there would be a handful of clubs willing and able to take on Bowes and his salary. I can guarantee you 1 of those clubs will be happy to send a decent pick back to the Suns to get it done.

IF Collingwood could even entertain the deal, there will be numerous other clubs in a better position to do the trade. There is 0% chance GC won't get anything in return.

Perhaps an unemotional point of view is this.
We have Grundy on a contract we don't like, but we have him regardless.
If we can get the trade we want for him well and good.
If we can't we still have Grundy on a contract we don't like. Nothing lost and nothing gained.

If we can't we still have Grundy on a contract we don't like. Nothing lost and nothing gained.
100%

Further to that it would have to be literally a Jordan Lewis-style junk pick trade right at the end if we're to take Titch on.

Anyone know how much he is on? If he's anything north of $600k then it'd be a firm no from where I'd sit, because he's not that final piece that would push us over the top to a flag I don't think, more a nice to have piece that would take the load off our other midfielders a bit.
Reportedly in excess of $800k

No, I completely understand how salary dumps work. But there would be a handful of clubs willing and able to take on Bowes and his salary. I can guarantee you 1 of those clubs will be happy to send a decent pick back to the Suns to get it done.

IF Collingwood could even entertain the deal, there will be numerous other clubs in a better position to do the trade. There is 0% chance GC won't get anything in return.

But why would they send a pick back if GC is giving away pick 7 for clubs to take Bowes?

It’s a bit like us with Grudy … except worse

It's more a case of where Bowes wants to go.

heard on SEN during the year that the last touch rule has been used in the SANFL only between the arcs. And I think it is only last touch from a disposal. Spoils don’t count

It's used in the AFLW as well, has been for the last few seasons

I don't see how you would get bigger bargains. The problem of the current system is that The bulldogs (twice) and Pies have benefited from getting the best rated young players with handful of low picks. Nick Daicos for 38/40/42/44 is a joke. As was Collingwood trading out (even though it backfired) their first pick to avoid losing it for Daicos. Brisbane will get the clear pick 1 for a bunch of bargain picks.
Four rolls of the dice, even in the late 30s and 40s is still worth a bit. Some of the players picked at those spots over the years include Luke Parker, Rory Sloane, Tom Stewart, Sam Reid and Bachar Houli. Nick Daicos will likely prove to be worth more than the 4 players taken in those spots, but in some years that won't be the case. Overall I don't think the points system is too bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more a case of where Bowes wants to go.
I hope like heck he doesn't choose us then, as the supposedly new 'destination club'.

He'll not be likely to get into our best 22, would neutralise any salary cap relief we might net from Brodie's exit and for what? A pick 7 that Hine would probably squander on some nuffie with a bad recent injury run but with 'huge upside potential'.

I hope like heck he doesn't choose us then, as the supposedly new 'destination club'.

He'll not be likely to get into our best 22, would neutralise any salary cap relief we might net from Brodie's exit and for what? A pick 7 that Hine would probably squander on some nuffie with a bad recent injury run but with 'huge upside potential'.
Or one with a December birthday and not much exposure to "elite pathways".

Article on Herald Sun Website

Gold Coast’s salary dump plans, first revealed by the Herald Sun this month, include offering up pick seven for a club to take defender Jack Bowes if they absorb his lucrative two-year back-ended deal.

The Suns are seen to be well over the salary cap this year so must realign their total player payment position for future years.

But given Bowes is a classy half back and the Suns need defenders given their spate of ACL tears to Wil Powell, Conor Budarick and Lachie Weller, what gives?

Not only will Bowes give the Suns cap relief, he is desperate to play midfield at a new club.

Keeping him against his will and playing him in a position he isn’t interested in doesn’t really suit anyone.

So the Suns will secure Adelaide’s first pick for Izak Rankine and hand on another top-10 pick.

The Suns believe they have enough early picks and are in a different economy to everyone else securing top 10 picks also comes with the downside of having to pay those players up to $450,000 in their third and fourth-seasons regardless of their early progress.

That's what I'm afraid of. When evaluating a draft prospect I get the impression he's more concerned about his special atheltic tests rather than footy ability. I'm just hoping he has improved and proves me wrong.

You’re misunderstanding it. GC are literally giving away pick 7 as a sweetener to any club who takes Bowes off their hands and is willing to fully honour the remaining 2 years of his back-ended contract, at $800K pa.

So, if you’re willing to spend $800K pa of your salary cap for the next 2 years, you can have Bowes and pick 7 without having to send anything back the other way.

It’s very tempting, especially if we lose DeGoey.

Smooth the contract over 3 years, and use pick 7 to hopefully snare Cadman. I hope the club are looking in to it.

I don't think you get it. GC not only don't need draft picks this year, they don't want them. Their expanded list concessions are looking like coming to an end and they already have several picks in the second round. Plus they have a top pick coming in for Rankine. Any token pick received in the Bowes deal will be passed on. They have already attacked the draft in the last couple of years and now need salary cap space to keep the young list together.

Bowes will have to agree to be traded. So if 4-5 clubs show interest but he is only willing to move to 1-2 of them, there won’t be much competition and the price will be very low.

Grundy for Freo's 2023 1st.
Henry and 42 for Geelong's 2023 1st.
Poulter for Frampton.
Our 2023 2nd for Fiorini and 25.
25 for Hill and 39.
47 for Mitchell.
48 for Hayes.

In: Mitchell, McStay, Hill, Fiorini, Frampton, Hayes, Pick 16, Pick 39

Out: Grundy, Henry, Poulter, TBrown, CBrown, McMahon, Madgen, Chugg

2023 picks: Our 1st, Freo's 1st, Geelong's 1st, Our 3rd, Our 4th

Best 22:

Howe Dean Maynard
Quaynor Moore Pendlebury
JDaicos Mitchell Sidebottom
NDaicos McStay Ginnivan
Elliott Mihocek McCreery
Cameron De Goey Crisp
Lipinski Adams Murphy Kreuger

EMG: Noble, Hoskin-Elliott, Johnson, Hill

In (from prelim): McStay, Adams, Mitchell, Kreuger, Dean

Out: Cox, Bianco, Johnson, Noble, Hoskin-Elliott
Sounds good, but why would Suns give us fiorini and pick 25 for a potential higher pick next year??

And why is Murphy making way for Dean

Also need more runners, so Fiorini on the bench pls…

Put McStay to FB, Krueger to CHF, and Fiorini to replace Dean. Not bad

Except that they're not seeing it that way at all with Jackson departing. They're pretty desperate to shore up the ruck position and put themselves in a position to win a flag or two in the next few years. Context matters.

The Hawks were a battling team looking to shift their older players as you're mostly likely aware. Couldn't have picked out a more chalk-and-cheese situation if you'd tried to.
Disagree. We are pushing Grundy out the door, so is Hawthorn with Mitchell.
It doesn’t matter what the reason is for a club wanting a player, it’s purely the market. There’s not a huge market for Grundy and Melbourne know this. Think of it like selling a house in a buyers market.

Opportunity costs. A cumbersome contract inhibits your ability to pay other players. Simple. We have already 'lost' and will continue to lose if we can't get rid of him and he continues his recent output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back