List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

To base such a long term 5 year commitment on such a short term run of games shows a clear lack of conviction. Probably the moment JDG form drops off in a run of games we'll look to ship him out like Grundy and have to subsidise $300k of his contract again.

The fact we're still having to match high offers from other clubs to get our players to stay instead of instilling discipline in the salary cap shows that nothing in our list management has changed under GW. Same old mistakes as our previous regime.
Too harsh.

1. We still got him at less than other clubs were willing to pay.
2. He is in the prime of his career, and has all the attributes that are in strong demand
3. If he left we wouldn’t get much in return, or other dealings are compromised, due to the McStay pickup
4. He loves the club, coach and players. And they also love him
5. We aren’t flush with merging midfield talent, so are not in the position to be too picky
6. $800k in 4 - 5 years is the equivalent of $650k in todays money, due to the increase in TPPs due. Richmond and Melbourne also know this - along with the lack of player control due to free agency - hence their new strategy of long deals for established players
7. He is determined to be considered a “great” player, alongside Petracca and Cripps et al, so is desperate to find consistency and team success

Last edited:

Get fkd 4th at best

I'm a bit indifferent, I mean probably you could mount a case for a fourth based on Roughead and based on his shift from Port Adelaide to Adelaide.

BUT

He's either in our 22 or being brought across as someone we will bring in if there's an injury to someone else, or may even be slated to replace an aging Howe in 2024 or beyond.

Could you knowingly recruit a player with a 4th rounder that fits the above criteria? Probably not.

Could you do it with a 3rd? Even still, probably not!

His manager said the following:

- JDG decided last night. He spoke to family and friends before making the decision.

- apparently they were surprised it played out publicly, but understand it’s “the nature of the industry”

- Dealings were happening behind close doors to a point that “everyone was comfortable”.

- Cracked a joke about the “Pie for Life” comment.

- Biggest thing for Jordan in relation to the behavioural side of things is that he “shouldn’t be held to a standard above what’s expected as an AFL player”

- He let Jordan make a “fully informed decision” and that he felt that JDG always wanted to be a pie.

- St.kilda’ interest was genuine and for a long period of time. They put forward a strong stance to get him over to the Saints.

- Fly shows love and support to JDG as a person. JDG loves the team around him (players, staff, etc).

- JDG loves our environment.
Getting the love - it's a wonderful vibe...

I'd love some freakin flags

His manager said the following:

- JDG decided last night. He spoke to family and friends before making the decision.

- apparently they were surprised it played out publicly, but understand it’s “the nature of the industry”

- Dealings were happening behind close doors to a point that “everyone was comfortable”.

- Cracked a joke about the “Pie for Life” comment.

- Biggest thing for Jordan in relation to the behavioural side of things is that he “shouldn’t be held to a standard above what’s expected as an AFL player”

- He let Jordan make a “fully informed decision” and that he felt that JDG always wanted to be a pie.

- St.kilda’ interest was genuine and for a long period of time. They put forward a strong stance to get him over to the Saints.

- Fly shows love and support to JDG as a person. JDG loves the team around him (players, staff, etc).

- JDG loves our environment.
Good summary; I thought his manager spoke really well actually. Showed respect to all parties and didn't give too much away in relation to the behavioural clauses aspect.

Too harsh.

1. We still got him at less than other clubs were willing to pay.
2. He is in the prime of his career, and has all the attributes that are in strong demand
3. If he left we wouldn’t get much in return, or other dealings are compromised, due to the McStay pickup
4. He loves the club, coach and players. And they also love him
5. We aren’t flush with merging midfield talent, so are not in the position to be too picky
6. $800k in 4 - 5 years is the equivalent of $650k in todays money, due to the increase in TPPs due. Richmond and Melbourne also know this - along with the lack of player control due to free agency - hence their new strategy of long deals for established players
All arguments that would've applied to Grundy when we signed his long term deal yet everyone is now saying thats the worst thing our list management has done.

Future 3rd is the lowest pick with any value at all. I doubt we'd recruit him if we thought he was worth less than a future third.
Plenty of nothing picks get traded to facilitate player movement for players that aren't in the club's future plans. We got Dunn for a 4 pick downgrade in the third round and Roughead for pick 75. Both of them had way more value than Frampton.

3rd round pick in a much deeper draft has a lot more value. Could've been traded for maybe a second round this year from a club with limited list spots like GC/GWS.

Plenty of nothing picks get traded to facilitate player movement for players that aren't in the club's future plans. We got Dunn for a 4 pick downgrade in the third round and Roughead for pick 75. Both of them had way more value than Frampton.

3rd round pick in a much deeper draft has a lot more value. Could've been traded for maybe a second round this year from a club with limited list spots like GC/GWS.
Hopefully we get their fourth rounder back in the deal which might not be that far from our 3rd rounder

I’m rapt Jordy is staying but I really hope he doesn’t succumb to the “long term deal curse” Collingwood seems to suffer from where players who sign long term deals suddenly lose all ability to play the sport

We’re 2/2 so far

Let’s hope Jordy is isn’t the third

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All arguments that would've applied to Grundy when we signed his long term deal yet everyone is now saying thats the worst thing our list management has done.
Except that it’s $200k less p/a, and the reality is that the salary cap has reduced to this point, without Grundy taking a hit, whereas it will start to go up now. Grundy is also outside of our top 5 most influential players going forward, whereas Jordy is in the top 2 or 3

a lot of the trade rumours sound bad, but so far wright and co have shown they trade well, so I'll have faith in them for a bit longer

on the other hand , I think the best outcome would be to make some compromise with grundy, if possible. Yes, he is overpaid as a ruck, but hes not really valued for his ruckwork is he? Its a competitive advantage to have one more clearance player. If we overpaid him by 150k instead of 300k it wouldnt be such a big deal.

I’m rapt Jordy is staying but I really hope he doesn’t succumb to the “long term deal curse” Collingwood seems to suffer from where players who sign long term deals suddenly lose all ability to play the sport

We’re 2/2 so far

Let’s hope Jordy is isn’t the third
???

Moore was great this year after signing a long termer imo

Who were you thinking other than grundy? Also how long was Maynard's deal? I think 4 or 5 off the top of my head so maybe not quite a long termer

Cloke and Grundy were the two I had in mind

Forgot about Moore. We don’t do super long term deals often.

a lot of the trade rumours sound bad, but so far wright and co have shown they trade well, so I'll have faith in them for a bit longer

on the other hand , I think the best outcome would be to make some compromise with grundy, if possible. Yes, he is overpaid as a ruck, but hes not really valued for his ruckwork is he? Its a competitive advantage to have one more clearance player. If we overpaid him by 150k instead of 300k it wouldnt be such a big deal.
Like what, getting Fiorini for not much, likewise Hill and potentially Mitchell?? Along with getting something back for Brodie and getting most of his wage off our books……

What are you expecting, walk into a room and clubs just offer up a Naughton or McDonald for free??

I think we’re clearly winning so far, with the list due to improve, not go backwards

Except that it’s $200k less p/a, and the reality is that the salary cap has reduced to this point, without Grundy taking a hit, whereas it will start to go up now. Grundy is also outside of our top 5 most influential players going forward, whereas Jordy is in the top 2 or 3
All hindsight.

At the time Grundy was our most influential player coming off two Bnfs and 2 AA. Best ruckman in the league. Also no behavioural or injury issues. Salary cap was also expected to go up. Not like anyone predicted Covid. Grundy was also coming off years of being underpaid as a $600k AA. JDG has been coming off years of being overpaid at $800k p.a.

Who knows what the fickle Collingwood list management will do with JDG in two years time.

I have no issues with JDG contract if we were willing to back in Grundys long term commitment. But knowing the wavering conviction of our list management that is so easily influenced by the most recent patch of 5-6 games, I have no confidence that what's happening to Grundy won't happen to JDG in two years time. Either we believe in long term commitments or we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back