List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

If Ollie ends up nominating for the draft, what do we think he would nominate as his required length of contract and wage?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

GW understands leverage and poker.

We had very little leverage in the Grundy dealing until AFTER the Dees traded out Jackson and (amusingly) Weideman, leaving them with no ruck back-ups. Now Wrighty is in a much better position to extract a deal on more acceptable terms. He has played sh1tty cards about as well as possible.

Good point, they can still trade in a lesser player like Hayes though.

If Ollie ends up nominating for the draft, what do we think he would nominate as his required length of contract and wage?

Not sure what the answer is but if he does nominate a huge (front-ended) contract that would send ripples across Geelong's well-managed salary cap. If Henry had the similar record to Cameron, a large/long contract would've been acceptable. But Henry is a 2 year old with defensive weaknesses.
Then again, if acquiring Henry for a large contract diminishes the Cats cap situation that's not a bad outcome

Looking at the list spots wise, we can't get both Mitchell and Firoini and keep Ollie. AFL site now not sure Fiorini may happen, could this because they expect Ollie to now stay? And we wouldn't have the list spots required.

This also means we have to delist both Madgen and Poulter.

To open up another spot, we could delist and rookie a contracted player?

I reckon 12 months on $500k. Enough to dissuade teams from picking him up in the PSD with the hope of getting a first round from Geelong next year for him, and easy enough for Geelong to absorb and quickly sign him up for a contract extension, possibly for unders in years 2 and 3.

I can't see him putting 3+ year terms on himself, cause if the club had the salary cap space they'd see themselves as either a chance at keeping him, or at least being in an excellent bargaining position with Geelong in 12 months time.

My guess is still though that he re-signs with Collingwood for a season if a trade doesn't get done.

That would be unfortunate for him to want to move 45 minutes to Geelong and end up in Greater Western Sydney

He’s *ed if he goes in the draft, only Geelong supporters don’t realise it
Yeah Ollie is a great prospect, foolish if a team doesn’t pick him up.

Dunkley is in an even worse spot if you ask me. Genuine gun and Brisbane have really let him down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean I’m sure a competent list manager would’ve gone with that plan and kept our salary cap woes a secret… unfortunately Ned Guys opening line in negotiations was “please be gentle”
Yeah in theory that works, but when dealing with player managers there are no secrets.

The Treloar deal is looking better by the day. How would you feel being Gold Coast needing to trade pick 7 in order to get rid of a player!

If they couldn't afford him they wouldn't have gone an interviewed him half way through the year.
It’s like anything you enquire and you’re interested at a price. Would they pay a top 10 pick probably not, in that case and if we weren’t willing to budge you’re at an impasse. But I agree with the OP we are in a much better position now following the Jackson trade.

The only way I can see the Henry trade getting done is with Geelong involving pick 7 which Cats have said isn't happening. Plus I think Mackie is too arrogant to take a backwards step.

I think Henry is most likely to sign up to an extension with us and with the right support from us and his management try to prove to everyone how good he can be and get his spot back. Then who knows what will happen. If we have another good year and cats drop off a bit with their ageing list he may feel his future is brighter in the black and white.

Hopefully this is one of those moments where in years to come we laugh at Geelong for not offering fair value when he becomes a key member of our forward line and the player the Cats pick at 7 ends up average

In some ways I’d prefer to death ride Freo in ‘23 and angle for the future first tied to Freo instead of pick 13. Despite bringing Jackson in with other players lost I can’t see them improving significantly in ‘23. Could be an outside chance that future first lands as a late top 10 pick.

Wright seems very keen to upgrade 16 though, which suggests he has someone in mind.
Disagree with the first part of the post. Freo are seriously well-coached and often played better away from home. Big chance to top 4.
Moving up to 13 is my preferred option

The only way I can see the Henry trade getting done is with Geelong involving pick 7 which Cats have said isn't happening. Plus I think Mackie is too arrogant to take a backwards step.

I think Henry is most likely to sign up to an extension with us and with the right support from us and his management try to prove to everyone how good he can be and get his spot back. Then who knows what will happen. If we have another good year and cats drop off a bit with their ageing list he may feel his future is brighter in the black and white.

Hopefully this is one of those moments where in years to come we laugh at Geelong for not offering fair value when he becomes a key member of our forward line and the player the Cats pick at 7 ends up average
Maybe they can also explain to him that it’s just down the highway…

Or ideally that player ends up in black and white in two years because he bleeds it as much as us

That would be unfortunate for him to want to move 45 minutes to Geelong and end up in Greater Western Sydney

He’s *ed if he goes in the draft, only Geelong supporters don’t realise it
Think we should give our mate Jason a call and ask him to do us a solid.

”Hi Ollie, Jason Mcartney from GWS here. Just letting you know that we think you will be the best available at our second pick and we owe it to our fans to take the best available. Don’t stress too much about pressure. We only get about 8,000 to each game so it will almost feel like home”.

Think we should give our mate Jason a call and ask him to do us a solid.

”Hi Ollie, Jason Mcartney from GWS here. Just letting you know that we think you will be the best available at our second pick and we owe it to our fans to take the best available. Don’t stress too much about pressure. We only get about 8,000 to each game so it will almost feel like home”.
“Also happy to pay you an extra $25k per year because we know you wouldn’t have to pay rent living at mum and dads in Geelong”

If he stays I reckon this is the likely outcome. He'll have to win back the skeptics who called him "soft, mumma's boy" etc but TBH, winning cures everything.
And even if he still decides to leave, we can then ask for 2 first rounders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back