List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Trading Henry has the potential to be one of infamous decisions that haunts the club for 15 years.

He has the potential to be a major star of the competition in my opinion. Inconsistent at the moment but he's so young and given such limited opportunity.

Would be madness to trade him now before he matures.

We will really regret this decision for many years to come.
Don't think it'd be our decision.

Trading Henry has the potential to be one of infamous decisions that haunts the club for 15 years.

He has the potential to be a major star of the competition in my opinion. Inconsistent at the moment but he's so young and given such limited opportunity.

It's not really on us if he won't sign a contract here though, is it?

It’s like we are talking about Ollie as though he is Phil Carmen re-incarnated.
…I’ve been to plenty of games over the past 2 years where Henry has made ZERO impact.
If we were to bench-mark him against other (high achieving) first round picks within the first 2 years… ie Travis Cloke, Anfany Rocca or Chris Tarrant… he is MILES BEHIND.
If he’s sooking it up, so be it. Get the best possible and give him the flick.
Precisely. You can bet your bottom dollar if he was at another club wanting to come to the Pies the convo on here would be “2nd rounder at best, in and out of the seniors, hot and cold, no defensive side.”

Don’t get me wrong. I’d love a first for him, and on potential he’s worth it. But potential is a dangerous word.

Plenty of 2 year players that showed heaps and were delisted in another 2, or faded into insignificance.

And regarding forcing him into the PSD if we can’t get a first. Fly doesn’t even want to play him in the seniors, so think they’ll let him walk and we’ll dust ourselves off and move on.

Personally I reckon Hill will suit our forward line more anyway. Henry suits a more old school kick/mark team like the Shats. Hill will suit our dirty entries into fwd50 style and quick movement.

The fwd pocket double team of Ginni and Bobby could be, to quote Bruce.. “delicious!”

That famous 2020 trade/draft period just lingers on, Collingwood were desperate to get into the draft Guy was quoted as saying.

Look at Collingwoods history of first round picks the last decade, not pretty. Hine has burnt a few.

That famous 2020 trade/draft period just lingers on, Collingwood were desperate to get into the draft Guy was quoted as saying.

Look at Collingwoods history of first round picks the last decade, not pretty. Hine has burnt a few.
Hine has had better luck when he trades out our firsts and he rummages through the bargain bin.

Maybe we should get a recruiter just for the first round and Hine can just clean up the scraps at the trade table bain-marie?

Not interested in assassinating Ollie's character here. If he does request a trade at the end of our season, I agree with everyone else that it's a first round pick or off to the PSD you go.

In the short term we lose a second round pick from Geelong, but what we gain is two messages: one to oppo clubs and one to our players (present and future).

1. If you want to leave, go with our blessings and our thanks for your service, but we will be fairly compensated or you will be off to whoever drafts you.

2. If you're after one of our players, don't shortchange us or you get nothing and you can expect similar treatment down the track.

We need to foster and maintain good will as a trading partner. That really matters. We ain't Dodoro and co. But we also don't get bent over.

We can't assassinate his character, but it is ordinary to leave a club after two years, who have invested alot into you, in terms of development as a player and person.
The reasons for him leaving are that concerns over McStay coming in, yet he is going to a club that has Hawkins and Cameron, lol, goodluck with that! And the other excuse was that we didn't offer him enough money. Well for a guy whose been in the system two years, l think our offer would be reasonable considering this. A first year player averages $100k, so going into a third year looking around $250k-$300k. Not sure if Geelong will pay him more than that.
To me it sounds like this was always in pipeline to leave after 2 years, to get to Geelong, and the reasons to leave are just a bunch of excuses.
Considering he was a pick 17, now with a further 2 years development in him at AFL level, we require back a first round pick at minimum, l think Geelong has pick 17, so maybe that comes back to us from the handbaggers. ....
Goodluck at Geelong, and thanks for your efforts at Collingwood!!

Hine has had better luck when he trades out our firsts and he rummages through the bargain bin.

Maybe we should get a recruiter just for the first round and Hine can just clean up the scraps at the trade table bain-marie?

I don’t disagree.

He has completely botched our first rounders for a decade. Either been a part of them graded out for nothing or players that haven’t worked out.

Scharenberg, Freeman, Stevenson all duds … they were no major losses.
Reid, Brown, Cloke, Thomas, Pendles, Sidey… all great value. Tarrant came back and served us well. I can’t recall losing a first rounder that then hurt us?

All those first rounders hurt us because we got them all so wrong.

Geelong can get stuffed, they either give us a first round pick (this year or next) or he can take his chances in the draft (no chance of getting to Geel via draft as their pick will most likely go to GWS) I'd rather get nothing than accept a geel 2nd round pick which will be about 40 after father/sons.

Geel screw everyone every year, they just cherry pick the players than want and pay bugger all, the one time they lost a player (kelly) they even managed to get 3x more than he was worth. They are on top because the other teams just let them do what they like, both us and GWS need to make a stand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't assassinate his character, but it is ordinary to leave a club after two years, who have invested alot into you, in terms of development as a player and person.
The reasons for him leaving are that concerns over McStay coming in, yet he is going to a club that has Hawkins and Cameron, lol, goodluck with that! And the other excuse was that we didn't offer him enough money. Well for a guy whose been in the system two years, l think our offer would be reasonable considering this. A first year player averages $100k, so after two years your looking around $250k-$300k in your third year. Not sure if Geelong will pay him more than that.
To me it sounds like this was always in pipeline to leave after 2 years, to get to Geelong, and the reasons to leave are just a bunch of excuses.
Considering he was a pick 17, now with a further 2 years development in him at AFL level, we require back a first round pick at minimum, l think Geelong has pick 17, so maybe that comes back to us from the handbaggers. ....
Goodluck at Geelong, and thanks for your efforts at Collingwood!!
With what he’s shown in ‘22 his trade value shouldn’t have decreased. I’d argue he should command a slightly higher pick as the risk of a bust is no longer there. I sense the cats will argue something different though.

Everyone complaining about mcstays supposed deal to be 600k. To put this in perspective and people not understanding free agency, Ben Long has been offered 600k to go to Gold Coast and officially requested a trade from St Kilda.

Also has potential to be Nathan Freeman mk2

My mate told me Henry asked for $800k ...
If true he can piss off.
If scuttlebutt, I hope he comes to his senses.
I do have a lot of faith in G Wright..

Time to get more trustworthy mates.

picks picks picks picks picks picks picks picks picks picks picks picks
please

All those first rounders hurt us because we got them all so wrong.
I don’t disagree.

He has completely botched our first rounders for a decade. Either been a part of them graded out for nothing or players that haven’t worked out.
Bullshit Shazza and Freeman had the most unbelievable, catastrophic ongoing run of injuries I have witnessed in a player - let alone two at the same club at the same time that I have witnessed in over 50 years watching the game.

Ollie decides he want to leave the club to go to geelong we dont exactly have the decision not to trade him so cant really go down as an infamous decision by the club

There is a clear change in messaging from GW that the club will be prepared to let players go rather than overpay. This is a good thing for long term success. Short term pain for long term gain.

Grundy has not performed to the level of his contract. Ollie has not earned his asking price. Should he be paid more than Ginni, for example, based upon contribution to date? He has talent and has shown signs but is still unproven. His development has been stunted by the Covid years and lack of games and it is reasonable for him to have to learn and improve his defensive efforts.

He would actually do better financially to do a 2 year deal with incentives and back himself to warrant a bigger pay off either at Collingwood or another club once he has runs on the board. Walking after 2 years is unwise as it puts him under the spotlight as someone not prepared to do the hard yards, not buying in to the club and the new coaches and greedy (none of which may be true but which are already being said).

In these 2 finals, the team has shown the benefit of the defensive system. If he does not follow it, it breaks down the system. Bianco and WHE execute on the system with and without the ball. Footy IQ is at a premium in this side. Players getting regular games are able to execute on the system.

I actually think his manager would do better to say that he is a Geelong local who for personal/family reasons wants to return there. He is grateful for the investment in him Collingwood has made. Saying that the offer is too low when he has played 15 games does not serve his client.

I don’t see how Geelong can deal for both Henry and Bruhn and Bruhn has already nominated. What happens if Hopper’s deal falls through with the Tigers? GWS will be asking the Tigers for 2 first round picks for each of Taranto and Hopper and there is no guarantee that Hopper gets to the Tigers in which case the cats may be back on.

Ollie could end up with no home at all with a hostile Collingwood fan base that is unaccustomed to players wanting to leave.

Poorly managed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bullshit Shazza and Freeman had the most unbelievable, catastrophic ongoing run of injuries I have witnessed in a player - let alone two at the same club at the same time that I have witnessed in over 50 years watching the game.

That might be the mitigating circumstances but look at the totality of drafts from 2012 onwards.

It’s brutal reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back