List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

It's about now you realise that the footy season into the trade period has now finished, and there's a huge lull between now and the draft. It's depressing.
Then you get to the draft and remember they ruined it by splitting it into 2 nights. 4 hours to read out 20 names night 1, the first 10 aren't at all surprising, then night 2 spend 2 hours going through 40 names of which you've only heard about 10.

Hi guys, if i can remember from last year we can exchange draft picks , futures picks with other clubs even on draft night.
Correct me if i am wrong.
i know we have 16,25,27 some in the 50s?
Just a few thoughts.
We have a round 1 and 4 next year.
Do we trade 25,27 for a f2 and f3.?
For the right deal do we trade 16 for a f1.
Another important question which clubs might trade there future picks to us for 16,25,27?
Your thoughts?

We currently have 32 seniors contracted. When Noble is upgraded will be 33.

So if we sign poulter, we take 2 players at the draft

If we dont. We can take 3 players.
I am leaning towards us signing Poulter - just not sure if we'll use our sole rookie pick on him or keep him on seniors.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many list spots we going to have would be my first question. We also need to upgrade Noble.

Id love to get a F2 or F3 in.

Want a tall forward like Keeler or Lemmey.
Apart from that id go best available.

Praying someone takes Clarke before 7. Don't see a path for us to a top 10 pick.

today was a good day. Got rid of Henry who I had a funny feeling about from the moment we drafted him and could never really like. Added a gun inside mid.

Overall a successful trade period and our list is much better balanced. We have KPP depth. Let’s hope next off-season we have some cash to throw around, enough cash for a King so to speak.

We currently have 32 seniors contracted. When Noble is upgraded will be 33.

So if we sign poulter, we take 2 players at the draft

If we dont. We can take 3 players.
I wouldn't be surprised if we try and trade 27 into next year. Brisbane would want the points.

Great result all things considered. Added players across each line of the field and improved depth in key areas. Losing Grundy is a shame, but the difference between a "great" ruckman and a serviceable ruckman is marginal at best. Tom Mitchell is a fantastic get, this can't be understated. He improves a main area of weakness throughout the past season and will enable our mids to be so much better. Hill could be the best pickup of the lot, his ceiling is incredible. I could take or leave McStay or Frampton, but I'm willing to back in our recruiting on this.

I think its incredibly unlikely that we'll be able to trade our way into the top 10. The clubs that currently hold those picks are unlikely to trade down in a supposedly shallow draft. Our best bet is to try and negotiate with the Giants for one of their top 20 picks.

I wouldn't be surprised if we try and trade 27 into next year. Brisbane would want the points.
Do Brisbane have anything left to trade next year?

As it stands, Brisbane have 2441 points, so they can match an Ashcroft bid at pick 1 with 41 points remaining. Not sure if they'll want to go into the draft with 2441 points - they'll probably want to increase their total ahead of draft night.

But I also can't see us trading out 27 before draft night without seeing what's available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great result all things considered. Added players across each line of the field and improved depth in key areas. Losing Grundy is a shame, but the difference between a "great" ruckman and a serviceable ruckman is marginal at best. Tom Mitchell is a fantastic get, this can't be understated. He improves a main area of weakness throughout the past season and will enable our mids to be so much better. Hill could be the best pickup of the lot, his ceiling is incredible. I could take or leave McStay or Frampton, but I'm willing to back in our recruiting on this.

I think its incredibly unlikely that we'll be able to trade our way into the top 10. The clubs that currently hold those picks are unlikely to trade down in a supposedly shallow draft. Our best bet is to try and negotiate with the Giants for one of their top 20 picks.
Tom Mitchell saved this trade period. He is elite. Really looking forward to what he can do in the Black and White.

I don't think we can trade up in this draft. No one will want to push back into the 20s. Our best bet is to try trade Pick 25 or 27 to North for their future second. North have picks 2 and 3 and then nothing until the 40s.

We need to replenish next years draft hand. Can't just go into next year's deep draft with just our first, especially if we plan on targeting any OOC players.

Tom Mitchell saved this trade period. He is elite. Really looking forward to what he can do in the Black and White.

I don't think we can trade up in this draft. No one will want to push back into the 20s. Our best bet is to try trade Pick 25 or 27 to North for their future second. North have picks 2 and 3 and then nothing until the 40s.

We need to replenish next years draft hand. Can't just go into next year's deep draft with just our first, especially if we plan on targeting any OOC players.
We could probably trade up with our 16 and a future 1st rounder to get into the top 10, but I doubt we'll do too much now.

It’s a stone cold certainty we’ll bring in a 200cm player through the draft/ SSP. The only question is whether it’s a Scully/ Lemmey fwd/ ruck, a Murray as a developing ruck or a straight up state league option like Crossley.

I think during the interview on the Collingwood site, Wright mentioned the word "backup" when talking abour ruck options. I might be looking too much into it, but if he had a draft pick or developing ruck in mind I'm not sure he'd phrase it like that. Backup to me is a more mature option to come in case of emergency. You're right though, Wright doesn't give away much, but he mentioned picking up a ruckman in both the collingwood interview and another, it's happening.

Do Brisbane have anything left to trade next year?

As it stands, Brisbane have 2441 points, so they can match an Ashcroft bid at pick 1 with 41 points remaining. Not sure if they'll want to go into the draft with 2441 points - they'll probably want to increase their total ahead of draft night.

But I also can't see us trading out 27 before draft night without seeing what's available.
They have Fletcher who’s expected to receive a bid in the first round too.

My Collingwood trade scorecard = A

Overview = Pies have traded fairly on total pick points and player value. Salary space moved around (not so much dumped). Improved 2022 draft positions and brought in good spread of players that meet needs.

PICK VALUE ONLY
2023 break even 808 points (3rd=788 points, 4th=822 points)
2022 values at time of trade
IN: 25, 27 (1459 points)
OUT: 43, 50 (-651 points), F2nd, F3rd

PLAYER VALUE = +36 points
Cost of 2023 values based on Pies finishing same on ladder (3rd), Mitchell value based on Henry set at original pick 17 value
IN value cost = -1691: McStay (0), Frampton (-246), Hill (-491), Mitchell (-954)
OUT value received = 1727: Grundy (703), Henry (1025)
Note the Mitchell/Henry swap +71 points

$: Salary dump out payment from Grundy eased by taking higher pick. Unknown whether reverse occurred with Mitchell deal. McStay and Mitchell overheads easily covered by cap space cleaning from Grundy and Roughead exits.

DRAFT IMPACT
Pre-trade: 16, 42, 47, 48
FA revaluations: 16, 43, 50, 51 (-103 pts)
Post-trade: 16, 25, 27, 51 (+808 pts)
With no F/S or academy the points not relevant; converted two 3rd picks to two 2nd picks (18 and 23 positions lower) however at expense of future 2nd and 3rd (albeit the 2022 2nds are lower ladder positions than the Pies expect to be in 2023)

SENIOR LIST CHANGE STATUS = -2
Prior out -4 (JR, CB, TB, LM), IC rookie
Trade out -2 (BG, OH)
Trade in +4 (DM, BH, BF, TM)

Comments on incoming players
  • Positions well spread cover KPD, KPF, Quality Mid, Small Fwd
  • Mix of age and experience, adding to both run on 22 and depth

In the interview with GW released on the pies website tonight he said that we may pick up a ruck in the draft/by other means. Do you guys know of any uncontacted rucks that would be available?

On RMX3201 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back