List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a few of us need to condition ourselves for a pretty boring trade and draft period.

Paul Connors: "firm believer we're in for worst trade period ever"
  • Not many trades expected
  • Few list spots available
  • Less than 50 names on draft night
  • Some clubs are only taking one pick on draft night

From a Collingwood point of view:
  • We don't have heaps of list spots available. (No retirements yet? Ruscoe, Bianco, Draper, Harrison, Kelly, Carmichael (A Rookie), Begg (A Rookie), Murley (A Rookie), Wilson (B Rookie) out of contract.)
  • We may be one of the clubs pushing for the rookie rule change to keep Begg and AJ on the rookie list (a further sign list spots are short)
  • Lion attracts interest, Docker signs on, rookie rule in motion
  • We don't have a lot of draft collateral (picks and surplus players)
I would suspect there may be one or two low value trades involving fringe guys looking to move for more game time or contract security, or moving picks up or out for next year picks.

The silly season hasn't started yet so this may change but we are in a pretty healthy list spot at the moment.

Agree, been saying this for months. We will be extremely quiet in the trade period and our list changes will be small.

We will have no retirements, and I forecast Ruscoe, Bianco, Draper, Kelly to be removed from the senior list (4) with Murley and maybe Begg (although turned my head in that last VFL game) being delisted from the rookie list (Wilson is Category B) so we are only looking at 5-6 list changes overall.

Our targets were widely discussed in the media all of last year, whereas this year we are not really being linked to anyone.

I do find Chol an interesting proposition. At 200cm and well over a goal per game, he prototypes as that ideal forward/ruck type. If Gold Coast pay a portion of his salary I would be surprised if we didn't take a look. Would be familiar with Leppa & Fly.

You could then shift Krueger to play KPD, where I believe his competitive nature and kicking skills would thrive. I actually think he has the tools to be a great shut down defender and be a great compliment to Moore.

I do find Chol an interesting proposition. At 200cm and well over a goal per game, he prototypes as that ideal forward/ruck type. If Gold Coast pay a portion of his salary I would be surprised if we didn't take a look. Would be familiar with Leppa & Fly.

You could then shift Krueger to play KPD, where I believe his competitive nature and kicking skills would thrive. I actually think he has the tools to be a great shut down defender and be a great compliment to Moore.
If Freddie was moved to defence his football career would be over, he would be retched as a defender.

I think a few of us need to condition ourselves for a pretty boring trade and draft period.

• We don't have heaps of list spots available. (No retirements yet? Ruscoe, Bianco, Draper, Harrison, Kelly, Carmichael (A Rookie), Begg (A Rookie), Murley (A Rookie), Wilson (B Rookie) out of contract.)
  • We may be one of the clubs pushing for the rookie rule change to keep Begg and AJ on the rookie list (a further sign list spots are short)
I would suspect there may be one or two low value trades involving fringe guys looking to move for more game time or contract security, or moving picks up or out for next year picks.

The silly season hasn't started yet so this may change but we are in a pretty healthy list spot at the moment.

I think the AFL is going to find a way to spice up the trade period. They have too much riding on it for the event to misfire. They use the trade period to keep media-relevant over the off-season.

Elite speed though.

Everyone we've drafted since Wright and Fly arrived is quick.

Harrison, Murley, Allan, Ryan, Daicos, Richards, Draper.
I don’t regard Draper as particularly quick, and Daicos was the best player in his draft regardless of speed (also FS so no idea why you’ve bothered to name him).

Two drafts is not really enough of a sample size for me to declare there’s been a monumental shift in philosophy. With the requirements talked about here we wouldn’t have drafted Maynard. And we drafted Maynard after changing our philosophy towards recruiting after overlooking Cripps because of his athletic profile the previous year.

I don’t regard Draper as particularly quick, and Daicos was the best player in his draft regardless of speed (also FS so no idea why you’ve bothered to name him).

Two drafts is not really enough of a sample size for me to declare there’s been a monumental shift in philosophy. With the requirements talked about here we wouldn’t have drafted Maynard. And we drafted Maynard after changing our philosophy towards recruiting after overlooking Cripps because of his athletic profile the previous year.

You're right the evidence isn't definitive. But it was predictable when a pair of Richmond assistant coaches took over. And it's what has occurred since they took over. Inside mids and talls surrounded by a group of blokes who can seriously run. I'd expect it to continue.

We could have drafted two of Cripps, Salem, Aish & Sheed that year.

What I meant by that is his speed and endurance isn’t up to scratch, unlike Jakob Ryan and Ed Allen for example who run 6min 2km and under 3 seconds for 20 metres. The pies have recently been recruiting elite running machines.

See, this is the sort of crap that sees players become the absolute opposite- so he is a certain must have based on that theory

Pies will swoop late with a couple of bold moves.

Only one problem with your statement, he plays halfback which would make him an older halfback. Maybe catch a Giants game every now and then.
As soon as I posted that knew someone would point that out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think it'd cost?
I'm not up on the academy point requirements, but it's the only top pick we'd be a chance at as they'd want points.

We traded 24 and 30 for our future first. We didn't know it was pick two at the time of course.

Starting point would be our first pick this year and then whatever they need to make points work, our future first potentially.

A bit like Port going in for Horne Francis I think it's important for us to somehow get access to the top of the draft soon to avoid dropping off too much when our veterans move on. I'd be fine with us including a player if needed, though I don't think that's what they want.

I'm not up on the academy point requirements, but it's the only top pick we'd be a chance at as they'd want points.

We traded 24 and 30 for our future first. We didn't know it was pick two at the time of course.

Starting point would be our first pick this year and then whatever they need to make points work, our future first potentially.

A bit like Port going in for Horne Francis I think it's important for us to somehow get access to the top of the draft soon to avoid dropping off too much when our veterans move on. I'd be fine with us including a player if needed, though I don't think that's what they want.
Melbourne will end up getting their pick. They’re by far the best placed with both their first and Freo’s first rounders available.

Our future first won't work for them, because they need points for this year.
We would have to trade our 2024 1st to another club for 2023 picks, then on-trade to GC.
I'm not sure that's very likely.

Agree with this sentiment however we are no chance at pick 4 it seems. Probably 10+ clubs better positioned for that deal.

Nick Daicos & Beau McCreery are the only two players under 23 that have been a staple best 22 player in our side this season. Ginnivan has been a proven performer, but beyond that we are really unproven with our young talent.

Allen & Ryan are really promising, along with Reef & Macrae, but all are unproven.

Somehow use our first + something to trade into the first round next year?
This would provide us 2x firsts and give options to trade for a quality player and / or trade up in 2024

Everyone should be lining up to make it as difficult as possible for Gold Coast to achieve their drafting aims this off-season.

Incredible that the club can cycle through another coach, signing their latest shiny new toy to a 6 year deal.
Think dimma will struggle up there.
Richmond have been a very well run club

Think he will find that there's been a lot of people contributing to his success that he didn't even realise, and won't even know what's missing

M
The bold move I'm looking for is nabbing Gold Coast's pick 4. We could really do with another potential elite young player. Think we need to be going hard for that pick.
More likely to be picking up some good young fringe players that can't get a game ala Lipinski Frampton etc

Think dimma will struggle up there.
Richmond have been a very well run club

Think he will find that there's been a lot of people contributing to his success that he didn't even realise, and won't even know what's missing

Dimma was lucky he had a once in a lifetime player running rampant. Not sure it would have been the same without Dusty

I agree with Connors' assessment that this trade period is going to be a fizzer. If we take him at his word that Bazlenka is staying put, the only big name is Grundy.

Besides that, everyone else talked about are B-graders at absolute best - Mackay, Billings, Gresham, Henry. What a snooze fest.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Somehow use our first + something to trade into the first round next year?
This would provide us 2x firsts and give options to trade for a quality player and / or trade up in 2024
Interesting on the Paul Connors interview he said some clubs will be likely only taking 1 live pick in the National Draft. If rookie rules don’t change and we have to elevate Begg and Johnson then we are a good chance to be one of those clubs meaning trading this years first would be a possibility.

On the bolded, are you sure about that? If Himmelberg had left I’d have agreed, but with him signing a relatively lucrative long term deal, and Coniglio, Whitfield, Kelly and Greene all on deals that range from large to insanely large, I’m not so sure.

Honestly I was convinced HH was gone earlier in the year purely on the basis that they wouldn’t be able to afford to retain him.
Well I can’t be 100% and I can probably adjust the language, but that’s why I added the third point re Haynes. If signing HH has compromised their salary cap I just can’t get to an outcome where Whitfield is the player moved on over Haynes.

I guess there’s the slimmest of slim chances that both Whitfield and Haynes need to be moved, but I don’t see it. Even with the Guy balls up of 2020 we weren’t moving anywhere near $2m in cap…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back