List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bold move I'm looking for is nabbing Gold Coast's pick 4. We could really do with another potential elite young player. Think we need to be going hard for that pick.
We should try as any talent we can get in will only help with building a dynasty and continued success.

Sidey, WHE and Howe all likely retire next year. That's some talent we need to replace.

Other clubs are looking at our list and the likes of fin Macrae, reef, etc. we should be doing the same for other clubs. Chasing the 20/21 year olds who want more opportunity. The ones whose form is not yet fully exposed.

Agree, been saying this for months. We will be extremely quiet in the trade period and our list changes will be small.

We will have no retirements, and I forecast Ruscoe, Bianco, Draper, Kelly to be removed from the senior list (4) with Murley and maybe Begg (although turned my head in that last VFL game) being delisted from the rookie list (Wilson is Category B) so we are only looking at 5-6 list changes overall.

Our targets were widely discussed in the media all of last year, whereas this year we are not really being linked to anyone.
Yep Hine has already mentioned it won't be as busy as last year and we are only looking at 1-2 potential additions.

Interesting on the Paul Connors interview he said some clubs will be likely only taking 1 live pick in the National Draft. If rookie rules don’t change and we have to elevate Begg and Johnson then we are a good chance to be one of those clubs meaning trading this years first would be a possibility.
18 + 33 + future first could see us gain some talent.

Other clubs are looking at our list and the likes of fin Macrae, reef, etc. we should be doing the same for other clubs. Chasing the 20/21 year olds who want more opportunity. The ones whose form is not yet fully exposed.
Problem is, we have to be able to provide the opportunity. And we can't.

North, Hawhtorn, etc can all guarantee games to young players.

We can't give opportunity to our own, how are we going to entice others?

We can't give opportunity to our own, how are we going to entice others?

Because there is about to be a whole lot more opportunity at Pieland as we are close to the oldest list going around. Come in and be generation next alongside Nick, Josh, etc. Come and learn from the likes of Pendles, Mitchell, Steele before they pull up stumps.

Agree , viable list move by any compotent list manager.

We had some good ones in Frampton , Hill , Markov last year. Understanding not all around that 20/21 year old mark , but a good gap fill.

Yep Hine has already mentioned it won't be as busy as last year and we are only looking at 1-2 potential additions.
Holding pattern, which is good because we have a strong list and hopefully our main competitors don't improve too much?

Bris.: Lost Adams, Lohmann & Robertson may move for game time. Ashcroft ACL.
Port: Jonas out. Rumour = Grundy and KPD may come in. Rumour = Lycett, Clurey may go out.
Melb: Rumour = Grundy out
Brown Paper Bags: Rumour = Gresham
Syd: Buddy, Hickey, PMcCartin out. Rumour McKay in
Adel.: All quiet.

So maybe Port and Sydney look like improving?

Love to see what our midfield/ruck wingers look like in three years time

So keen for them to start building around Naicos/Jaicos and getting players to complement them in that same age profile.

Well I can’t be 100% and I can probably adjust the language, but that’s why I added the third point re Haynes. If signing HH has compromised their salary cap I just can’t get to an outcome where Whitfield is the player moved on over Haynes.

I guess there’s the slimmest of slim chances that both Whitfield and Haynes need to be moved, but I don’t see it. Even with the Guy balls up of 2020 we weren’t moving anywhere near $2m in cap…

They can probably move more of Whitfield's salary. If Haynes is on the rumoured contract, it's going to be tricky to find a club to help get a big amount of that contract off their books.

Holding pattern, which is good because we have a strong list and hopefully our main competitors don't improve too much?

Bris.: Lost Adams, Lohmann & Robertson may move for game time. Ashcroft ACL.
Port: Jonas out. Rumour = Grundy and KPD may come in. Rumour = Lycett, Clurey may go out.
Melb: Rumour = Grundy out
Brown Paper Bags: Rumour = Gresham
Syd: Buddy, Hickey, PMcCartin out. Rumour McKay in
Adel.: All quiet.

So maybe Port and Sydney look like improving?
We were linked to Gresham but that's gone quiet.

Brisbane will lose players, maybe we take one? Although, they'd be leaving for opportunity which we can't guarantee.

Port: Zerk-Thatcher will come home, Grundy to be signed. However, they lack trade capital after last year's period.

GWS:
The narrative around GWS is that they will shrug a star or two.

Twomey doesn't believe they will give a pick up for a salary dump. However, they may accept unders for Whitfield and/or Haynes.

Dogs:
Another space to watch is the Dogs. No way can they have the amount of talls they do. Jamarra is their prized recruit so he's a priority but I feel Naughton will leave this year or next. It's not a happy place to work.

IMO we actually want to trade into next year....not out of it.
This year is heavily compromised due to the number of academy bids.
So 18 & 33 aren't actually very attractive (as they will be early 20's / late 30's).
We don't need to sell next years picks for this year. Completely the opposite IMO.

If 18 + 33 gets us small gain into R1 (Although i very much doubt they would), then take that.
Upgrade Begg...AJ....done.

Like no other year, what we do this year depends on trade period.
Harsh choices are going to have to be made on a few.
So i can see us facilitating movement instead of cutting if there is any interest (for future late picks if possible).

Next 2-3 years will be busy for us (retirements etc), so we need to make sure we plan for that...which means moving out of this draft and into next years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So 18 & 33 aren't actually very attractive (as they will be early 20's / late 30's).
We don't need to sell next years picks for this year. Completely the opposite IMO.

If 18 + 33 gets us small gain into R1 (Although i very much doubt they would), then take that.

So i can see us facilitating movement instead of cutting if there is any interest (for future late picks if possible).

Next 2-3 years will be busy for us (retirements etc), so we need to make sure we plan for that...which means moving out of this draft and into next years.
One thing on my mind is Ruscoe.

He's too good to just cut but we'd net a useless for our needs if we trade. Maybe we look to package it?

I'd assume that'd be our goal with anyone unsigned who attracts interest - move a pick up a few spots in the draft.
Yeah but we need to make sure we actually do something with our picks rather than collecting Pick 50, 56 and 70 and then passing. Bianco is a late second at very best.

Yeah but we need to make sure we actually do something with our picks rather than collecting Pick 50, 56 and 70 and then passing. Bianco is a late second at very best.
We're not getting a late second for Bianco. Guys like him Kelly and Ruscoe, if there is interest, would essentially be goodwill trades. We'd try to move a pick we're intending to use up a couple of spots - eg Carlton's 2nd round from approx pick 32 to pick 29 - or something like that. But it would probably end up being a third round pick in this or next year that we may be able to use as a slight sweetener in another deal, but is very likely to go to waste. Or a swap of future picks that we're predicting will benefit us. Basically something ranging from nothing to very little in return.

I'd assume that'd be our goal with anyone unsigned who attracts interest - move a pick up a few spots in the draft.

My preference would be to package for next year.
I can't see us using more than 2 live picks max....and i think that's a stretch as you're talking late 40's / early 50's.
So might as well elevate 2 rookies that you have good info on and free up those rookie spots.

So IMO any packaged deal would be for next year.
e.g Ruscoe & pick 33 for next years R2 (more likely R3 - depending on the club).
Or we'll just do the player for next year (R4 etc).

Well I can’t be 100% and I can probably adjust the language, but that’s why I added the third point re Haynes. If signing HH has compromised their salary cap I just can’t get to an outcome where Whitfield is the player moved on over Haynes.

I guess there’s the slimmest of slim chances that both Whitfield and Haynes need to be moved, but I don’t see it. Even with the Guy balls up of 2020 we weren’t moving anywhere near $2m in cap…
Weren't we? Treloar had pushed his money back so far to the point he was beginning to make $900k per year, and Stephenson and Phillips apparently had heavily incentivised contracts.

I am in the camp that this year we'll be fairly quiet in the trade/fa space. We had a huge grab last year bringing in 4 new players last year, and the pool seems to have dried up with Parish signing, the Ben King "links" vanishing, and the ever stubborn Bulldogs looking like they'll cling on to Bevo, Smith and Naughton for another year at least.

Barring something drastic popping up, I would predict we're one of the clubs only looking at taking 1-2 picks at the draft, so suspect it'll look something like:
- A low profile recruit (Frampton last year type deal) or a DFA we decide to grab. The Lewis Young alleged link would fit that sort of deal, in terms of profile.

- Navigating/packaging trades for the likes of Bianco and Ruscoe, to creep up the order as high as we can, take our 1st pick then "dump" everything else into the 2024 draft (i.e trading any pick other pick we don't want to use into 2024 picks)

I am in the camp that this year we'll be fairly quiet in the trade/fa space. We had a huge grab last year bringing in 4 new players last year, and the pool seems to have dried up with Parish signing, the Ben King "links" vanishing, and the ever stubborn Bulldogs looking like they'll cling on to Bevo, Smith and Naughton for another year at least.

Barring something drastic popping up, I would predict we're one of the clubs only looking at taking 1-2 picks at the draft, so suspect it'll look something like:
- A low profile recruit (Frampton last year type deal) or a DFA we decide to grab. The Lewis Young alleged link would fit that sort of deal, in terms of profile.

- Navigating/packaging trades for the likes of Bianco and Ruscoe, to creep up the order as high as we can, take our 1st pick then "dump" everything else into the 2024 draft (i.e trading any pick other pick we don't want to use into 2024 picks)
I also think this is overwhelmingly likely. If we were a chance at genuine best 22 player like smith, thomas or mckay it would've been heavily reported by now, as their agents try to maximise deals and nothing adds fuel to the fire like collingwood.

Think liam henry is the only name that might be half a chance, but suspect we will be outbid by hawthorn or another team.

In which case one or two fringe guys and try to move up the draft order. Not the end of the world as we need to open up opportunities in the 22 for the likes of macrae, reef, carmichael and hopefully allan to try and earn a spot. Also not sure there's too much on offer that you'd say comfortably makes us a better team.

Would we consider trading out our 2024 R1 and R2 picks for GC's FR1 pick and 2024 pick 47 (which is likely to come in significantly) - it effectively means we trade out of this year's draft. The key thing for GC is that it gives them some flexibility to trade their 2024 pick 4 out of this year's draft, e.g., swap Pick 4 for say North's FR1 and still retain close to the points required in 2024 (they'd need to get some additional late picks to make up the 2024 shortfall)?

I agree with you on trading into next year but not for the same reasons.

Next year will be a heavily compromised draft as well:
Tyler Welsh Adel F&S; Levi Ashcroft Bris F&S; Leonardo Lombard GCS A; Joe Harrison Syd A; Lucas & Ben Camporeale Carl F&S; Caleb Nancarrow GCS A; Louie Montgomery PA F&S as well as a few other Northern Academy and NGA prospects and Zai Millane. (Nephew of Darren Millane, Collingwood.).

I would be trading into next year as we will have more list spots for movement with the likes of Howe, Sidey, WHE, Cox, Pendles all moving towards retirement and 12 or so players out of contract.

IIRC Dunn, Roughead, Lipinski, Frampton, Markov, etc were all branded rubbish too on this board

If the club sees something in Young… or any other fringe player for that matter…

with their recent track record… I’ll back them in to have made the right call 👍
They won't, he's trash.

And yeah, I dunno, I can't comment on what this board said about those other guys you listed. Not sure why that's relevant to me - I was never against any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back