List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I’m an aspiring AFL ruckman, I’m not going to Collingwood to play behind Cameron and Cox. No guarantee the team will even include two ruckmen most weeks, given they have McStay and Kreuger potentially helping out for 15% game time.

We need Cameron to continue his improvement as a AFL footballer. Cox, Steene and Begg suggests VFL rucks covered.

[Grundy, Cameron, Steene and Begg - with Cox VFL ruck and VC would have been a good balance.]
If I'm an aspiring AFL ruckman and haven't had a chance yet, I'm going to any club that will offer me a contract. That's what you get a mature age or recently delisted player for. They will play.

Cox isn't playing in the VFL. We're going with two rucks by the looks of it.

The players can say whatever they like.
The coaches can work out any teams gameplan easily by just watching.
The coaches job is to inspire and stay one step ahead continuously.
Easier to do at the end of every year at draft time. Bringing in the type of player that will further the teams gameplan.

The way Collingwood plays is obvious to all but there is so much more to it.
Coaches really don't have much control over players. They guide them to interpret the game plan. It's really interesting watching old 2018 matches and noticing how we've returned to that ruthless style of play.

This here is prime 2018 Collingwood: .
We've only just rediscovered play like this.

Agree. Surely a developing team has its salary well under control. Third of the side are pensioners and a third are kids.

Pick 6 is Busslinger or Jefferson AND Van Es or Davies.
Even with the mess you make it work, You don’t just pass up pick 6… unless you’re Gold Coast and it’s the worst pick you’ve had ever.

Doubt we had the salary cap space to once we picked up Mitchell
It was a two year deal from memory, rumoured at 600k…with Pendles slipping down the scale and into retirement …sidey probably one more year…Howe in a similar position surely they could juggle the cap for the pick over two years. He met a need in the middle as well!

Even with the mess you make it work, You don’t just pass up pick 6… unless you’re Gold Coast and it’s the worst pick you’ve had ever.
6 is like the Devils number in the draft, statistically it's almost a complete wash, which is bizarre because 5 has been the bomb, I'm sure it's just an anomaly and will smooth out over time but right now it's cursed

6 is like the Devils number in the draft, statistically it's almost a complete wash, which is bizarre because 5 has been the bomb, I'm sure it's just an anomaly and will smooth out over time but right now it's cursed
Was Shaz pick 6? I back Hine at the draft…but of course no guarantees

Was Shaz pick 6? I back Hine at the draft…but of course no guarantees
Yeah and Stevo, it looks like it's been getting better over the last few years as it becomes more professional though, Rachelle and Humphrey look good and the two pearlers have been Macrea and King

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches really don't have much control over players. They guide them to interpret the game plan. It's really interesting watching old 2018 matches and noticing how we've returned to that ruthless style of play.

This here is prime 2018 Collingwood: .
We've only just rediscovered play like this.
Remember this game fondly. Always thought we missed varcoes run, he was never quite the same post 18.

Remember this game fondly. Always thought we missed varcoes run, he was never quite the same post 18.
Varcoe's sister had tragically died and we were playing a defensive style. Watching that video made me realise how smooth Stephenson was.

666 is the number of the beast.

If I'm an aspiring AFL ruckman and haven't had a chance yet, I'm going to any club that will offer me a contract. That's what you get a mature age or recently delisted player for. They will play.

Cox isn't playing in the VFL. We're going with two rucks by the looks of it.
We’re going with two below average rucks and a rookie. It’s our biggest weakness and it worries me.

In 1990 we had Monkhurst.
In 2010 we had Jolly.

In 2023 we have…

We’re going with two below average rucks and a rookie. It’s our biggest weakness and it worries me.

In 2010 we had Jolly.

In 2023 we have…
jmac the landscape has changed mate.

In the last 5 years the influence of the giant 1st ruck has waned - they are still able to influence a game but defensive measures are now so good that their influence has been blunted somewhat.

The midfield is the key, rove to a winning ruckman - whether that be our own or the opposition - is the deciding factor.

In 2010 we had Jolly.

In 2023 we have…
Cameron is good around the ground with his marking. Cox a decent tap ruckman. Both can kick crucial goals at times.
Grundy wasn't as good as Cox at tapping to advantage.
At least not in the last couple of seasons.
Cox keeps improving..
I'm sure many of you will disagree.

In 2010 we had Jolly.

In 2023 we have…
In 2023 we have Cox.

You can't predict him. At his best, which happened more towards the end of the season, he was a deadly force.

Seriously? Between Moore, Noble, IQ, Maynard, Daicos and even Howe, I’m pretty sure we have run off half back well and truly covered. Markov would have been depth, nothing more. I’m sure his run off half back in the VFL would have been thrilling, but personally I’m happy to have a genuine ruckman developing now rather than an undersized ruck/forward taking the main role in the twos most weeks.

Agree. This would only be better if it were Crossley... I'll let it go one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back