List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an UFA, we can formally lodge a low-ball contract - diminishing the return that Freo get as FA compensation, and then re-negotiate the contract with Schultz after the first year when he's a Collingwood player - or Freo can accept Pick 19 - which is better than they'll get next year.
yeah we’re not manipulating the compo system out of spite

A club screwing another in terms of “free” compensation isn’t likely to endear that club to any other teams going forward, rightly or wrongly.
quid pro quo - it's not screwing them over, it's about fair and equitable trading and using the available tools of persuasion.

Next years is too:
  • Levi Ashcroft Bris F&S Top 5
  • Tyler Welsh Adel F&S Top 10
  • Leonardo Lombard GCA Top 20
  • Samuel Marshall BLA Top 20
  • Lucas Camporeale CAR F&S Top 20
  • Ben Camporeale CAR F&S Top 20
  • Any Free Agent compo
  • West Coast priority assistance?
And the yearly North Melbourne assistance package

Freo should probably look at the Hill trade as a lesson too. If they’re getting a fair offer for Schultz this year, they should take it. 12 months on and anything can happen. Lachie could do an ACL in August next year and be spending 12 months on the sidelines, which could significantly affect how desirable he becomes to other clubs. They run the risk that the FA compo is band 3 rather than band 2.
We all saw GWS knock back a pick in the 20’s for Hill, and now they’ve ended up with a pick around 40 for him after his down year after getting cancer.

Bell is trying to be too clever for his own good here imo.

Freo should probably look at the Hill trade as a lesson too. If they’re getting a fair offer for Schultz this year, they should take it. 12 months on and anything can happen. Lachie could do an ACL in August next year and be spending 12 months on the sidelines, which could significantly affect how desirable he becomes to other clubs. They run the risk that the FA compo is band 3 rather than band 2.
We all saw GWS knock back a pick in the 20’s for Hill, and now they’ve ended up with a pick around 40 for him after his down year after getting cancer.

Bell is trying to be too clever for his own good here imo.
It's a tough one for Freo. They lose so many players that they've got to at least appear to make a stand to keep their supporters happy.

Not just smaller list sizes.
It's MSD, it's SSP changes as well.
It's players playing until they are mid 30's more than they used to.

Those changes make it possible to bring people in easier, who are all mature age and more 'ready to go'....so the need to carry young prospects just creates un-usable assets on your list.
One other element to it is the proliferation of academy and FS’. It allows clubs looking to take minimal picks to trade up superfluous picks to something meaningful.

Take us next year and making a serious play for Smith. Let’s say it’s 19 and 34 for Schultz. If we can push 38 into 2024 post the academy bids and retain our 1st then come trade week we might be able to dump both our 2024 seconds on GC for their 1st which would be chewed up by a bid on Lombard. That then gives us flexibility to trade two firsts for Smith if need be. We reduce our draft obligations from a list perspective and bring in two high quality best 23 fits for the price of Adams and two picks 20+.

I love this kid. Not because he chose us, but because he’s such a lad! He’s going places.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a tough one for Freo. They lose so many players that they've got to at least appear to make a stand to keep their supporters happy.
I think most clubs act a lot more professionally now after the Saints stance on the Luke Ball non trade and they got nothing and we got him in the PSD and he played in the 2010 Premiership team.
Bell is just posturing for the club and the press - it will be the 2023 1st rounder or no deal.
Wright doesn't blink and I think there may be other deals going on that we will find out about next Wednesday.

You’re not going to get a star KPP for a pick in the teens prior to all the other BS that could get added on.
It's a future first so the pick could be top 10. That's the risk. And it would be packaged up with current first round and other picks etc.

Just look at Freo, trading last year's first round and this year's first round for Jackson thinking it would be a pick in the teens. Then they plummeted and ended up being a top 4 pick.

Jackson might have been worth taking the risk with. Not for Schultz.

I think most clubs act a lot more professionally now after the Saints stance on the Luke Ball non trade and they got nothing and we got him in the PSD and he played in the 2010 Premiership team.
Bell is just posturing for the club and the press - it will be the 2023 1st rounder or no deal.
Wright doesn't blink and I think there may be other deals going on that we will find out about next Wednesday.
Id be letting the odd one fall through if I was Freo, particularly whilst contracted. I think it's in Freo's best interests to be pricks to deal with, as they're likely to always be a poached from club that gets less coming back their way, so a reputation of being a heap of trouble to get deals done could be good for them.

I think that's the silly thing about the cats and moving from Wells's style to Mackie's. Their big advantage is always going to be players wanting in due to the number of western districts players. They should be aiming to keep the previous reputation of being good to deal with.

Last edited:
We can't assume Bell is being a tosser here. He isn't carrying on like he has publicly in the past.

Perhaps yes they've asked for a F1 or whatever but as I posted earlier it wouldn't surprise me if we're waiting on the Liam Henry deal to happen first.

Now that St Kilda have all but discarded Gresham (bar the official "decided not to match" etc) they'll probably look to get Dow and Henry done.

We can't assume Bell is being a tosser here. He isn't carrying on like he has publicly in the past.

Perhaps yes they've asked for a F1 or whatever but as I posted earlier it wouldn't surprise me if we're waiting on the Liam Henry deal to happen first.

Now that St Kilda have all but discarded Gresham (bar the official "decided not to match" etc) they'll probably look to get Dow and Henry done.
A lot of us have blown up about adams wanting out.

Freo are potentially losing a first round pick Henry who had a break season and their best small forward.

Can’t blame the reaction tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back