List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swanny is again devastatingly accurate.

Actually glad we went with McRae. Clarko is not magic pill. His three peat was special and no-one says otherwise but that does not mean he is some invincible coach. Premierships are not the sole benchmark of a man's ability to coach.

Actually glad we went with McRae. Clarko is not magic pill. His three peat was special and no-one says otherwise but that does not mean he is some invincible coach. Premierships are not the sole benchmark of a man's ability to coach.
If Clarko had taken our job, reckon he would of cut the list pretty deep last year. Pendles, Sidey and Howe would of been on the trade table.

A good coach can get the best out of a given group but no more. A crap coach can wreck a team no matter how good.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Clarko had taken our job, reckon he would of cut the list pretty deep last year. Pendles, Sidey and Howe would of been on the trade table.
I remember Hodge talking about Clarko as a Coach - basically, while not over critical it was very very clear Clarko is not an easy bloke to get along with.
And will sweep through his new club causing much consternation, so they need to be prepared, is the message I got reading between the lines.

Doubt he is collaborative as McCrae seems to be.

I remember Hodge talking about Clarko as a Coach - basically, while not over critical it was very very clear Clarko is not an easy bloke to get along with.
And will sweep through his new club causing much consternation, so they need to be prepared, is the message I got reading between the lines.

Doubt he is collaborative as McCrae seems to be.
I was an advocate for us getting him in last year, but in the cold light of day I think that there very much needs to be a buyer beware sign on Clarko. Yes, he was a great coach, but he also had the core talent of an amazing team at his disposal for much of his tenure at the Hawks, and once that core taken was gone he was very much back with the pack.
Add to that, young players respond differently in this generation to the way they’re addressed, and I’m not sure Clarko is going to be the messiah for any young rebuilding club.
I’m grateful that we were able to secure McRae, and I genuinely think the hawks did the right thing by moving on Clarkson for Mitchell, despite how messy the handover was.

Apples and Oranges, paying an old and busted mid 30's player big coin is how we got in trouble in the first place. Show me the others that don't involve players past their prime getting supa.
Hannebery did the same thing at the Saints with the last year of his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was an advocate for us getting him in last year, but in the cold light of day I think that there very much needs to be a buyer beware sign on Clarko. Yes, he was a great coach, but he also had the core talent of an amazing team at his disposal for much of his tenure at the Hawks, and once that core taken was gone he was very much back with the pack.
Add to that, young players respond differently in this generation to the way they’re addressed, and I’m not sure Clarko is going to be the messiah for any young rebuilding club.
I’m grateful that we were able to secure McRae, and I genuinely think the hawks did the right thing by moving on Clarkson for Mitchell, despite how messy the handover was.

Dane swan said it succinctly today about the ridiculous fuss around Clarkson

Clarko is very Belicheck.

What would it take to get Matt Rowell? (Out of contract end of 2023)

I know his stocks are low at the moment but I reckon he would be perfect. Has already played with ND in school footy and seems to have a similar mentality.

What would it take to get Matt Rowell? (Out of contract end of 2023)

I know his stocks are low at the moment but I reckon he would be perfect. Has already played with ND in school footy and seems to have a similar mentality.
I imagine Gold Coast would still ask for a fortune.

Would be perfect extracting inside footy for Daicos x2 and others. Just don’t know that he’s attainable. And, if we can nab Taranto & a Fiorini type (ideal off-season alongside McStay) then I’m not sure we’d have space.

I don't usually venture onto this thread. I do read it avidly.

This trade period is going to probably be tumultuous and I understand the angst about certain pieces of the puzzle coming or going, particularly in light of the debacle 2 years ago.

Rather than focus on the detail, I prefer to take a "view from 10000 feet" and feel the vibe. There are a couple of things that stand out to me.

1/ I suspect that GW is attempting to shape a pay structure that in some ways models the best parts of Geelong's (although we don't have the mysterious Costa's Fruit in our corner). I think that the negotiations surrounding Grundy's contract and GW's comments about a salary cap hangover could possibly be viewed in that context.

2/ I suspect that we don't necessarily have a salary cap problem. We are simply positioning ourselves for a sustained period of salary cap stability.

2/ In three years' time, we're going to need enough flexibility to pay ND what he is worth at that time. Some of this will occur naturally as senior players drop off, but inevitably we'll bring others in.

3/ Carlton has a looming problem with maturing contracts in the next 24 months. One of Curnow, McKay, DeKonning or Walsh may be able to be shaken free. If I were in Carlton's position I'd be looking to operate from a relative position of strength in this trade period.

4/Right now we need an inside bull and a KPF who can compete and bring the ball to the ground. Sunday's game demonstrated why we're keen on McStay. He isn't Plugger, but he doesn't need to be. If he's deemed to be the best available solution, so be it. I'm pretty much unfazed by the reported salary a)because it's got a touch of Mayo on it and b) because that's the way a market operates (demand and supply)

5/ The ruck position is evolving or should I say being adapted to suit an evolving game style competition-wide. I'm not sure that the current ruck combo is going to get it done in 12 months' time, nor am I sure that Grundy is suited to this evolution.

6/There are many moving parts and I reckon we're privy to half of them. Gnashing our teeth about rumours won't change a thing. Let the cards fall where they may.

I'm looking forward to the next 5-6 years with great optimism. I suspect that this year has been a little bit of a teaser of what we'll look like in 3-4 years' time. To get there, we're going to have to make some tough decisions now.

Enjoy the show

I don't usually venture onto this thread. I do read it avidly.

This trade period is going to probably be tumultuous and I understand the angst about certain pieces of the puzzle coming or going, particularly in light of the debacle 2 years ago.

Rather than focus on the detail, I prefer to take a "view from 10000 feet" and feel the vibe. There are a couple of things that stand out to me.

1/ I suspect that GW is attempting to shape a pay structure that in some ways models the best parts of Geelong's (although we don't have the mysterious Costa's Fruit in our corner). I think that the negotiations surrounding Grundy's contract and GW's comments about a salary cap hangover could possibly be viewed in that context.

2/ I suspect that we don't necessarily have a salary cap problem. We are simply positioning ourselves for a sustained period of salary cap stability.

2/ In three years' time, we're going to need enough flexibility to pay ND what he is worth at that time. Some of this will occur naturally as senior players drop off, but inevitably we'll bring others in.

3/ Carlton has a looming problem with maturing contracts in the next 24 months. One of Curnow, McKay, DeKonning or Walsh may be able to be shaken free. If I were in Carlton's position I'd be looking to operate from a relative position of strength in this trade period.

4/Right now we need an inside bull and a KPF who can compete and bring the ball to the ground. Sunday's game demonstrated why we're keen on McStay. He isn't Plugger, but he doesn't need to be. If he's deemed to be the best available solution, so be it. I'm pretty much unfazed by the reported salary a)because it's got a touch of Mayo on it and b) because that's the way a market operates (demand and supply)

5/ The ruck position is evolving or should I say being adapted to suit an evolving game style competition-wide. I'm not sure that the current ruck combo is going to get it done in 12 months' time, nor am I sure that Grundy is suited to this evolution.

6/There are many moving parts and I reckon we're privy to half of them. Gnashing our teeth about rumours won't change a thing. Let the cards fall where they may.

I'm looking forward to the next 5-6 years with great optimism. I suspect that this year has been a little bit of a teaser of what we'll look like in 3-4 years' time. To get there, we're going to have to make some tough decisions now.

Enjoy the show
Nice assessment, CP. Well reasoned and level-headed. You should contribute to this thread more often! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back