List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McStay had an excellent 2nd half. Exciting to see him in Black_White next year, and you would think will be a nice addition to our F50 setup
He kicked a couple of goals at the Cheer squad end too 😉

The more we can get the ball in McStay's hands inside 50 the better.

His set shot routine is flawless.
He's generally a very neat user of the footy. It's the decision-making aspect when he gets the footy up the field that can be problematic.

If we play him closer to goal, which I think we might, then that will hopefully be mitigated.

I can see why Ollie wants 500k when blokes like Luke Jackson is getting over a million.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is one downside when a champion in Pendlebury has longevity in the game or players like Sidebottom at age 31 (32 in January) or Howe 32 (33 in June) are still playing solid football and it's the situation where you are somewhat sacrificing your future prospects for the now.

While I believe all are contracted for next season and should remain at the club if you were to play devils advocate you could mount a case that if one or two weren't signed beyond this season our club if not in a better position in 2023 would certainly be in 2024 if we sacrificed the now for the future and moved one or two of them on for players like Taranto and Hopper.

Unfortunately for us the stars haven't been aligning in recent years when it comes to trading and if it wasn't a salary cap bursting at the seams it's been club greats playing football at a good enough standard that they can't easily be sacrificed for our future prospects.

Next year however it might be a different story and the club will start calling time on some aging stars if their form dips enough to justify the decision and/or younger options emerge we believe can replace them.
I think our older players still playing decent footy is a positive. Helps the development of our younger players to be in a professional environment with high standards. Daicos especially would be benefiting greatly from Pendles 'mentorship.

We are too old though and I expect will look to field a younger 22 next year, though maybe only slightly with a greater reduction the year after.

Certainly don't see us signing Mitchell, that's moving in the wrong direction. With McStay already coming in, adding another veteran, an even older one, is not at all good for our rebuild.

I'm happy with us bringing in smaller fish for the moment. Something at the Lipinski level, younger players who've yet to make their mark. We might look at a bigger move next year, if needed. I see 2023 as being important for list evaluation and future planning. We shouldn't be making any rash decisions based on our relative success this year. That said, it's always better not to have to bring players in on big money. Always have to overpay to poach a player, so the less you need to do it the better.

Love the McStay haters, thread went quiet in the last 2 pages for some reason ?

Should have had 4 goals.

-Thought the review was over the line
-Fred after a strong tackle, advantage and -goal on siren to Hipwood
-2 goals of his own.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
McStay to me is another Mihocek, although a poorer version. Mihocek is a better mark and harder at it.

This is not to denigrate McStay, Mihocek is a gun…I just hope the club know what they are getting and that it fits with the strategy. I would have preferred a marque forward rather than another role player.

Watching May and Lever bickering last night got me to thinking.
If Grundy goes to Melbourne, maybe we should ask for May.
Apparently May wanted to come to us and couldn’t as we didn’t have the trade capital.
Melbourne handed over pick 6 for May and Kolodjashnij (retired I believe).

Apparently May wanted to come to us and couldn’t as we didn’t have the trade capital.

He’d be a terrible cultural fit. Pass.

Arguably their most important player, currently the best FB in the game. Not a chance they let him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back