List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Houston and Perryman are wildly different cost scenarios.

One’s OOC and receiving a significant pay increase while the other is having their tab picked up and might be on unders for their output. If word came out that we were re-structuring Houston’s deal in line with his output he’d be on $1.2m going forward. Do you think we’re venturing into those waters?

I agree with your take that clubs will value things differently I’ll still sit with cash being king though because of its ability to shape the minds of a recruit. I also can’t fault that assessment it just differs from your initial take. I would say though that GC’s top end is nowhere near the level of the other 5 (us included). Right now the only two on their list I’d actively chase are Flanders and Andrew. The rest fold faster than Superman on laundry day which is why they can’t put it together on the road.
I don't know with GC and they've always struggled to recruit and retain so salary cap space for them is a bit of a different scenario, at least until they're a respected team. But assume they'll bet ton what they've got and will continue to get coming through to provide the top end - and they probably can't attract it any other way.

I'm just not convinced they'll overpay for Noble. Rioli is their high priority. Is Noble a high priority too? A back up? Something they think would be nice but not willing to pay a bomb for if they have Rioli already? My view is that a high price for Rioli helps Richmond and not us as it means that they might place less value on Noble and could shift their value towards future points for matching. I hope it plays out with him getting us a big return, but it's a guess. Our best chance of getting a good return could be to get it done early, because the price may drop after Rioli is over the line. If Richmond are being ridiculous GC might be best off getting the Noble deal done and then pretending to walk away from Rioli to get Richmond to play ball.

The hatred for Kelly and Browne? It’s a fair and reasonable view point!
For Carlol, I was referring to. I don't care where he goes, as long as it's not there.

Last edited:
If there’s one thing I’ve learned the past week since we got serious about Perryman this one is going to shock some on here!
This has been talked about way before Perryman was chased as a FA.

It will be the standard contract extension in signed one year before the comes out of contract end of 2026.

I'm willing to hold a bet and revisit that it won't be anywhere near the $1m p.a. you've been sprouting.

What’s your prediction?
My guess is it’ll start with a 1. No idea what the second number will be. Here’s to me being wrong!
This has been talked about way before Perryman was chased as a FA.

It will be the standard contract extension in signed one year before the comes out of contract end of 2026.

I'm willing to hold a bet and revisit that it won't be anywhere near the $1m p.a. you've been sprouting.
Happy to have a slab on it! Colin Young isn’t known for ****ing spiders 👍

Wrighty fall out with someone in the Pies, seems to be a lot of chat about him starting up elsewhere. Thought he was on sabbatical?
Tensions between Wright and chief executive Craig Kelly, a 1990 premiership teammate, were among the factors that have led to the decision to leave the club, as the Pies appear certain to seek an outsider to replace Wright, who has already been sounded by the AFL and other clubs about potential positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While there may have been conflict with Kelly. If he is applying for a CEO role this is also in line with Wright wanting more responsibility/promotion from a footy boss perspective. If he takes up Footy boss with Adelaide and only takes a side ways career move, this highlights more of an issue with the Wright/Kelly conflict IMO.

I don't know with GC and they've always struggled to recruit and retain so salary cap space for them is a bit of a different scenario, at least until they're a respected team. But assume they'll bet ton what they've got and will continue to get coming through to provide the top end - and they probably can't attract it any other way.

I'm just not convinced they'll overpay for Noble. Rioli is their high priority. Is Noble a high priority too? A back up? Something they think would be nice but not willing to pay a bomb for if they have Rioli already? My view is that a high price for Rioli helps Richmond and not us as it means that they might place less value on Noble and could shift their value towards future points for matching. I hope it plays out with him getting us a big return, but it's a guess. Our best chance of getting a good return could be to get it done early, because the price may drop after Rioli is over the line. If Richmond are being ridiculous GC might be best off getting the Noble deal done and then pretending to walk away from Rioli to get Richmond to play ball.
Last night’s B&F shifted the dynamic on Rioli. Our B&F is Friday? If so I’d like to revisit the discussion after that. For now though I agree with your take, but I suspect our B&F will make pick 25-7 (or whatever 20 ends at) seem untenable.

With Robbo gone, someone has to take the mantle of perpetually pissed clown
I'm pissed off I missed out.

The old I'm over qualified excuse was given again.

I’m all for allowing the right players to leave at the right time ala Noble this year, but I’m not convinced IQ is the one. If he doesn’t take the next step in 2025 this debate changes and McReery is the other.

Without a Perryman style deal it makes it a lot harder to pick them off as you’ve suggested. Take Geelong as the example because they manage their cap better than anyone and they would never offer this type of money for a Perryman level of player. When was the last time they lost one that didn’t want to go home?
I’m probably underestimating Quaynor’s ability to get his attacking game going in 2025 and overestimating Parker and HDM’s potential but I see the small defender role as a good position for a development player whilst Maynard is around.

But I’m starting to come around to your pov on the Perryman contract. My concern is now we sign Perryman on that contract and he then goes onto have a middling season on the wing and half back whilst our midfield remains the same and that allows others to think they’re worth more money.

The only way I’d be comfortable with that offer is if we intend on using him as full time first possession on baller that unlocks Nick Daicos but I’m unsure whether Fly will commit to that and whether Perryman even has that capability.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back