List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not as convinced cap space is a major issue for them. There's ways of creating cap space.

The main reason they couldn't offload Owies was the price he put on his head.

If Carlton were motivated enough they could re-shop Owies with the caveat of part-paying his salary for a period of time which would still free up cap space for them.

I don't trust that vile, iniquitous horde of sub-human ferals and feel they will push hard again for Houston.

It’s been stated by Owies’ manager that the figure quoted was complete rubbish. Seems it was totally made up.

The blues also need to juggle Weitering’s new contract (need to add the Nigerian multiple) as well as DeKonings new contract end of 2025. I suspect he will have $1m+ offers in the market place.

Rumours the dogs might blow us out of the water for pick 13 now. As well as the Swans bid
If the Suns just take the best offer for 13 I think we are done and dusted.
Biggest thing in our favour is that Suns want Noble.
If we can’t get pick 13, we can’t get Houston, if we can’t get Houston it means we need to retain Noble, Suns miss out on Noble.

I do wonder whether Port also need Houston to go to have the salary cap space to take on Lukosious' massive contract. Similarly GC needs to offload Lukosious' massive contract in order to accomodate Rioli.

If we have the salary cap flexibility then it might mean we won't be the first to blink.

I know you really want us to hit the draft Jen, but I really think you are underestimating how good Houston is. Whatever pick 13 ends up being is not going to be thing that puts us in flag contention next year, no matter how solid the draft is.

I love the work Jen2310 does for all of us on the forum, but this focus on draft picks from some posters is akin to a gambler’s fallacy. We tend to get overexcited about the promise of potential and overvalue it against known quantity.

Put it this way, the absolute best you could hope for from pick 13 is… well a player of the calibre of Houston. And I’m talking absolute best. Houston is more like a top 5 pick when you consider his standing in the game and you’d have less than a 25% chance of hitting that level with a top 5 pick anyway.

For some reason we’re messing around with the trade as we want to have our cake and eat it too. If Leppa ends up keeping 23 out of the three way trade it would be robbery. Understand we want to keep a hand in this draft because it’s so strong but I would settle for 30 something pick instead. Good on him for trying but this is a make or break for a newly appointed director of footy. Pull it off and he’s legendary already, end up paying up and he’s done alright, but miss out on Houston and it’s a huge disappointment.

It's not just that Port wants Lukosius, but that Gold Coast desperately wants Lukosius' salary off their books, so they really want that deal to happen. With contracts like the one they just gave to Mac Andrew getting given out, they can't afford to be paying a guy not in Hardwick's plans north of $1.25m a year.
This is the clincher right here. GC need Lukosuis off the books, so the deal will get done, one party is going to relent and I think it will be GC, they are the most desperate of the three clubs. Port could keep Houston, and we could keep JFN, Richards would then be a seperate deal to Port. So given that, I can't see how it doesn't happen, especially given Carlton just gave up F1 and F2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They could split 12 for the Swannies 2x late firsts to open things up.
But that's no different to us getting 13 from GC and splitting it with Swannies. The offer to Port will still be 12/13 or 19+21 and they would have nothing more to offer whereas we will have Richards plus our second rounder and 2 thirds to play with.

This is the particular stage of trade period I start to loathe.

Everything is in a holding pattern so nothing happens in terms of player movement, and journalists are wanking themselves to death with rumours and innuendo.
I am a fairly visual person, did not need that mental image. Edmund and ralphy beating it off to a photoshopped image of Houston in a Carlton jumper.

Because other clubs are offering more for Pick 13 as a stand-alone trade than we are as part of a packaged trade.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
And if they took overs for pick 13, the Suns then need to pay significant overs to get Noble because he would be a required player at the Pies without Houston.

But that's no different to us getting 13 from GC and splitting it with Swannies. The offer to Port will still be 12/13 or 19+21 and they would have nothing more to offer whereas we will have Richards plus our second rounder and 2 thirds to play with.
True.

I don’t think Carlton are actively chasing Houston / can fit him in their cap in any case…

No one thought it would be easy. Particularly with so many other players & clubs involved.

Last week we weren't even considering we were a chance to get Houston.

Exactly, we weren't even in the race a week ago. So l'm just happy we gave it a go, if we do miss out.
If we get ourselves into the draft, that's a win also....

Just fyi, we’ve got Melbournes F1 and Norths F1 on the table for 13, so Collingwood needs to beat those offers really.

13 for Noble + F1 wouldn’t really even beat 13 for Norths F1 but we’d do it to get Noble sorted.
Out if interest, do you think Rioli is that much better than Noble? A quick scan of the numbers suggests not.

But I suppose the reason why GC is still dealing with the Pies is because without us, how does Port take Lukoscious off your hands? A 2025 1st?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back