List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

They want to move up & are offering their 2 picks to do so.
It's been some of Morris's finest reporting. Every one of his pick 13 tweets says that Sydney have offered their two picks for pick 14 and then finishes with Sydney like GC want to trade into next year's draft due to academy kids ...

I'm just a romantic, but kind of think that is inevitable that we will get Dan.
It just aligns with all the stars.
  • JN just happens to want to go to GC.
  • PA just happens to want Joe Richards
These are the two teams in Pascal's triangle, and we make the third apex.

Everything proceeds mathematically from there.

I'm just a romantic, but kind of think that is inevitable that we will get Dan.
It just aligns with all the stars.
  • JN just happens to want to go to GC.
  • PA just happens to want Joe Richards
These are the two teams in Pascal's triangle, and we make the third apex.

Everything proceeds mathematically from there.
Also, trying to bring players in, convince them to come and don’t value them enough to get the deal done, says something.

You continue to believe in the various conspiracies and the irrational belief that every institution involved in the game (the AFL, media, umpires, etc) is biased against Collingwood and doesn't want us to succeed.

I'll continue to believe in my irrational game day superstitions whereby I somehow believe my actions will impact the result of the game.

And we can both continue to live in our own little fantasy worlds.

Uh…nice deflection?

Where was bias against Collingwood mentioned in my post? Or the other one you replied to?

It was about deals being held for the sake of ratings

Sam Edmund basically admitted as much the other day on trade radio. “Oh there’s definitely a commercial element to it”

The only reason these veterens like Darling and Parker want to go is because their going to get 1-2 years pf paid holidays as they retire with those deals. North should have got Parker, not even remotely looked at Darling.
THey're both pros who will offer a heap to that group. Darling is still healthy and hard working and going at a goal a game in a terrible team.

What am I talking about? I'm replying to you thinking Geelong would have "folded" despite having literally all the power.

We had Pick 28 which was the same as Pick 26 (Hawks traded it on) anyway... Hawks wanted a pick in the second round, offered to pay Mitchells deal for it too..

So we lost Henry, gained significant salary cap room and got Tom Mitchell.
Huh? We gave pick 41 and 50 for Mitchell. They also got Cooper Stephens from Geelong who's value is basically what Fin Macrae is now. No second rounder went to Hawks

We easily wouldve got the Mitchell trade done without Hawks

Can’t agree re: Henry. The club managed the trade the best they could. In no world would we seriously have gone and redrafted Ollie with a prized first round pick - he didn’t want to play for us, we would have infuriated the managers of prospective targets, the AFLPA wouldn’t have been happy, the media would have cooked up a storm. Not enough benefit for a player who didn’t want to be with us.

And my unpopular opinion is I don’t hold anything against Geelong the way they went about getting Henry. They didn’t actively target Henry - he simply made himself available to them because his brother was there. They were right to prioritise Bruhn whom they headhunted from interstate. They would have targeted Henry eventually but I doubt they’d have minded if he re-signed with us for two years. It sucked for us but it was what it was.
I agree with your first paragraph but disagree with your second. Geelong’s tactics of trading the future second rounder so they could trade f1 and trading their their current first for a clearly inferior player in Bruhn leaving us to accept the scraps was a dirty tactic and I would almost walked way completely from dealing with them based on that.

The way I see it Leppa has done all he could if:

1. He's offered to hand over a F1 and 36 for 13.
2. He's reluctantly agreed to give 13 and 23 for Houston.
3. He's prepared to swap/sacrifice our 3rd picks to get a deal done.

If we aren't prepared to offer up either of the first 2 options then I'm not surprised the deal has reached a stalemate. Pick 13 is worth more than our F1 on the market. Houston is worth more than 13 and Richards.

On the hand the problem could lie at the feet of GC and PA if:

1. GC want more than our F1, 36, Noble for 13 and 23.
2. GC will only provide 29 in return for Noble if nothing more offered.
3. PA will not accept 13 and 29 for Houston. GC will reluctantly accept but want Richards free in return.
4. PA will accept 13 and 23 but will only offer 58 for Richards.
5. Countless other scenarios you can come up with.

If any of the above are taking place then it's quickly reaching a point where we cast our eyes unfortunately away from Houston and look to get our hands on pick 13 in a separate deal. That goes so does any hope of landing Houston anyway.

GC have already rejected 13 and 23 for F1 and Noble. No surprise.

The want F1 and Noble for 13. That seems overs to me but can we get to the front of the queue without doing it or without getting a lesser return on Noble?

If we knew for sure we could turn 13 into 19 and 22 then for a 6 pick slide we could effectively pay ourselves back for Noble whilst retaining pick 36 in the process. Anything else we got in return for Noble would then be a bonus.

Whatever it looks like we need to have a plan B because missing on both Houston and 13 from here would be the worst outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been some of Morris's finest reporting. Every one of his pick 13 tweets says that Sydney have offered their two picks for pick 14 and then finishes with Sydney like GC want to trade into next year's draft due to academy kids ...

Not to mention that the bid for the GC academy player will fall before 19 and 22.

GC would then need to find new homes for them because with no 6 or 13 they become the first selections to fall in matching a bid.

uhttps://stcolumbacollege-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/r/personal/lachlan_pye_stcolumba_sa_edu_au/Documents/Lachlan%20Pye%20Sem%202.docx?d=w9e7cc30ae6574049a3182d372d0233ad&csf=1&web=1&e=JPy1What heavens sake are you talking about!
Geelong bent us over. simple. It's important to learn from our fudge ups and learn from them.
it should have been there pick 7 our there future first or let Henry nominate for the draft
Mitchell would have come to us even without the cats pick
They weren't going to give up the picks that you think it should have been. It was what we got or nothing. Henry was the ****er who screwed his emplyer of the time. He handed over the PSD chip to Geelong way too early. That should just come out right at the end after there's been a reason for the teams to shift closer together - but he ensured that the Cats didn't need to shift. I actually don't think he should have had that chip and been eligible to nominate for the draft - surely a player can't tell the world that they're only willing to play for one club and then nominate for the draft.

Last edited:
The way I see it Leppa has done all he could if:

1. He's offered to hand over a F1 and 36 for 13.
2. He's reluctantly agreed to give 13 and 23 for Houston.
3. He's prepared to swap/sacrifice our 3rd picks to get a deal done.

If we aren't prepared to offer up either of the first 2 options then I'm not surprised the deal has reached a stalemate. Pick 13 is worth more than our F1 on the market. Houston is worth more than 13 and Richards.

On the hand the problem could lie at the feet of GC and PA if:

1. GC want more than our F1, 36, Noble for 13 and 23.
2. GC will only provide 29 in return for Noble if nothing more offered.
3. PA will not accept 13 and 29 for Houston. GC will reluctantly accept but want Richards free in return.
4. PA will accept 13 and 23 but will only offer 58 for Richards.
5. Countless other scenarios you can come up with.

If any of the above are taking place then it's quickly reaching a point where we cast our eyes unfortunately away from Houston and look to get our hands on pick 13 in a separate deal. That goes so does any hope of landing Houston anyway.

GC have already rejected 13 and 23 for F1 and Noble. No surprise.

The want F1 and Noble for 13. That seems overs to me but can we get to the front of the queue without doing it or without getting a lesser return on Noble?

If we knew for sure we could turn 13 into 19 and 22 then for a 6 pick slide we could effectively pay ourselves back for Noble whilst retaining pick 36 in the process. Anything else we got in return for Noble would then be a bonus.

Whatever it looks like we need to have a plan B because missing on both Houston and 13 from here would be the worst outcome.

Well if we walk away from this trade period without Houston or without an improved draft hand, then Leppa's first trade rodeo as list manager may be critiqued harshly, by some in the media....

Last edited:
We really should try do 13,23 for Noble F1 36 tomorrow.

Values 13 at the market rate of F1 and a second and Noble at 23.

I think Port will be able to get Lukosius and 29 for their future first - at worst throwing in 39 as well.

Leaving the Houston deal as the show stopper for the end with a lot of posturing. But ultimately 13,23 Richards for Houston and 29 is the balanced outcome.

We should but I think Port are terrified by that because we've suddenly got a bit more leverage if we have 13 and 23 in the hand with a deal for Houston still to be worked through.

GC to mightn't want it done without it being a 3 way because the feel they can squeeze a better result out of it.

If we come out of this having given over 13 and 23 for Houston with 29 left in the hand (effectively valuing Richards at that) we would have done better than expected. Not convinced Port would be so generous towards us though. Might take us giving or swapping a 3rd round selection.

While your scenario of 39 for 29 would be a better option points wise than just 41 alone (and better for us if we got it) optically it doesn't look as good for GC. If they got 55 out of us for 13 + 23 then optics might win out and they only offer PA the later pick. If we then ended up with 39 and 41 I would still consider it a small win.

Pick 39 for Richards, a 5 spot slide paying us back for the 36 we used to obtain 13.

God knows what's really on offer with 3 egos involved. Two is bad enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back