List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We could do that for Petracca. I wouldn't want to though. Our window might be closing and giving away a future 1st, Hawks 2nd and Allan might slam our window shut just as Tasmania come into the comp.
Plus I think Melbourne would want an extra 1st.

Jack Crisp was not a 1st rounder breaking into the team.

He was a later pick fringe player who was breaking out. More equivalent to Harrison or Richards.

Our offer imo should be F1 and Hawks 2nd firm.
Petracca is 29 for 2025 season, Beams 25 in 2015. For reference since its being used as the stick now.
Although most this argument stemmed from people saying we'd need 2 to 3 firsts to get it down.

So instead of earning $1.5m in 25, with an even spread, you want him to earn $666kp.a for three years, with no guarantee on the 3rd? Lynch has had hamstring and feet problems, not brain damage.

If you told him the big bad tax man will take less you'd just about be able to convince him, I reckon.

Oh really so it wasn't realistic for a premiership Midfielder who at the time was an elite Gun of the comp at 24 yo.

Who Gold Coast offered to come to the table with EXACTLY that request by pies.
If Beams had said yes Pies would if had that "unrealistic" offer filled.

Due to Beams saying he wouldn't go to GC it took away some of our bargaining power with Brisbane.
Much like what I've stated with Trac. Again I didn't say we wouldn't offer crap but that 2 x firsts is not realistic for the alleged situation for a 29yo off a major injury.

I said a future first and change ie secondary pick outside the first round would get it done if pies and trac play hard ball.

The bolded seems fictional to me Loki. He was never going to Gold Coast.

This is from Oct 7 - miles before trade week.

We got a good deal for Beams and not just in retrospect: Early first, early second and a promising youngster with ideal athletic traits who had shown a bit in the AFL. It's what you got at the time for a gun.

We were getting good value in Hine's early trades - Wellingham and Dawes were good ones too.

And in terms of a comparison to the Petracca trade, we don't have pick 5 - and no one is valuing our future first at pick 5 - even if there is some chance that it ends up there.

Last edited:

Carlton has the power to land Melbourne’s Christian Petracca.
The question is whether the Blues want to maintain faith in their big forward set-up or make a play for the Demons’ superstar midfielder in October’s trade period.

In a nutshell, the one man Melbourne might consider letting Petracca go for is Harry McKay, if the Blues were prepared to consider what would be the AFL’s biggest trade deal in 17 years.

Carlton’s response to Sunday’s extraordinary two-point loss to a hungry St Kilda will be fascinating after Saint Jack Higgins produced one of the most extraordinary last-minute snaps in recent times to sink the Blues at Marvel Stadium.

He was an opportunist, Higgins, but considering his head was dumped into the ground only minutes earlier this was the best goal of his life, even better than the fly kick on the goal line at Richmond.

But would Voss want to have a think about Petracca, one of the game’s best midfielders, to supercharge the onball group in exchange for McKay?

Maybe, the Blues would have to throw in something extra. Perhaps, an early pick in next year’s draft as well.

But McKay, whose brother Ben swapped clubs from North Melbourne to Hawthorn last year, would have to want to become the big banana in the Demons’ forward line alongside Jacob Van Rooyen.

A trade move to new colours is not everyone’s cup of tea and he has turned down Essendon’s advances in the past to stay loyal to the navy blue.

The move would blindside McKay, similar to the way Collingwood punted Brodie Grundy two years ago and Carlton shipped off young forward Josh Kennedy in the blockbuster Chris Judd trade back in 2007.

But Carlton has Tom De Koning to play ruck-forward and Ashton Moir who dobbed the goal on Sunday to cut St Kilda’s margin to two points midway through the thrilling last quarter.

Conservatively, the Blues are much more likely to keep their man.

But in the wake of this season the Blues need to consider whether the balance of the forward set-up remains suited to modern day footy, how it can lighten the load on inspirational captain Cripps, and improve its defensive flaws which hindered it in 2024.

When De Koning is back, and Jack Silvagni returns from his ACL, and Moir pushes up, plus Marc Pittonet in the ruck, Carlton have more marking options forward than they need to partner dual Coleman Medalist Curnow.

McKay signed a bumper seven-year deal last season to stay with Carlton until the end of 2030. Petracca’s deal is similar, and Melbourne said they don’t want to lose him.

But there are still grumbles.

If there is a deal which could potentially work for both clubs, this is it.

Righto

Jack Crisp was not a 1st rounder breaking into the team.

He was a later pick fringe player who was breaking out. More equivalent to Harrison or Richards.

Our offer imo should be F1 and Hawks 2nd firm.
Petracca is 29 for 2025 season, Beams 25 in 2015. For reference since its being used as the stick now.
Although most this argument stemmed from people saying we'd need 2 to 3 firsts to get it down.
Totally agree with what you are saying in terms of what we should offer. For me that would be the max as well. But I don't see Melbourne accepting and for some reason all good players are now worth 2 1st round picks in most supporters eyes. So Melbourne wants 3. To be honest I see Petracca as very big risk and I was just saying that we could do a similar deal not that we should.

He was never going to Gold Coast.

This is from Oct 7 - miles before trade week.

The bolded seems fictional to me Loki.

We got a good deal for Beams and not just in retrospect: Early first, early second and a promising youngster with ideal athletic traits who had shown a bit in the AFL. It's what you got at the time for a gun.

Mate Collingwood was in talks with Gold Coast behind the scenes and was trying to convince Beama to go but he was not having it.

It was over several pies boards and the trade boards at the time and there was also media reports of it on the News at the time. I'm just stating what I recall of that trade period. Can't believe you don't recall it tbh.

Read the trade thread and you will see what you think was a good deal at the time, most poster weren't in agreement with you back then.

Most were stating top 5 and a secondary teen first saying bris would need to trade it in. Go read it. This even from neutrals.

Pies fans ended on a decent trade result but the 2 firsts would of been better at the time was the consensus. It was seen that we took a bit of a lesser deal in the end. That's why Crisp was thrown in.

Also that article states they will be keeping a close eye on it but are aware Beama only wants Brisbane. During trade week Pies definitely had talks with GC.

Last edited:
He’s been a massive upgrade on our I50 aggression, and has a drive, application and commitment that’s streets ahead of Ginnivan
The opinions on Shultz have been mixed to say the least, personally I don’t rate him, some do that’s ok.
It’s more what the club paid for someone doing that role, it was way overs and I can’t see how this can be disputed.
I’d you’re parting with a first round pick considering they are so so valuable, you better use it wisely and we have not.

The opinions on Shultz have been mixed to say the least, personally I don’t rate him, some do that’s ok.
It’s more what the club paid for someone doing that role, it was way overs and I can’t see how this can be disputed.
I’d you’re parting with a first round pick considering they are so so valuable, you better use it wisely and we have not.
It’s only overs if Schultz doesn’t get back to his best Freo form.
But that improvement is highly likely.

Mate Collingwood was in talks with Gold Coast behind the scenes and was trying to convince Beama to go but he was not having it.

It was over several pies boards and the trade boards at the time and there was also media reports of it on the News at the time. I'm just stating what I recall of that trade period. Can't believe you don't recall it tbh.

Read the trade thread and you will see what you think was a good deal at the time, most poster weren't in agreement with you back then.

Most were stating top 5 and a secondary teen first saying bris would need to trade it in. Go read it. This even from neutrals.

Pies fans ended on a decent trade result but the 2 firsts would of been better at the time was the consensus. It was seen that we took a bit of a lesser deal in the end. That's why Crisp was thrown in.
It's over several Pies boards that Petracca is going to get his contract broken due to negligence/ is willing to sit out a year, etc ...

I'd assume that Pies did talk with Gold Coast - I'd also assume that we have no idea what may or may not have been offered. Confident claims of what GC offered aren't worth reading.

We've been throwing 1st round picks around like scatter cushions for over a decade. It's criminal just how many 1st round picks we DON'T have on our books. This Schultz trade will go down as yet another howler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm talking more about what they did to justify selection. Reef had occasional excellent moments in the VFL, but didn't put together any strong games. Long played some very good games in the VFL. I wont be surprised if neither survive on our list though.

It's easy to see potential with Reef with flashes of what he could become, but 4 years in and he's still like a promising first year recruit showing flashes of potential at VFL. I hope we keep him, but suspect he'll get a better offer.
To be fair to Reef, he was playing as a key forward in a side that was repeatedly getting smashed in the middle with limited delivery forward. The games he did play at AFL level he showed signs that he could adjust to the level, but he was never given that run of games that Long was.

If he leaves I hope his new club gives him the opportunities that we didn’t, because I think he’ll end up being a good player if they do.

It's over several Pies boards that Petracca is going to get his contract broken due to negligence/ is willing to sit out a year, etc ...

I'd assume that Pies did talk with Gold Coast - I'd also assume that we have no idea what may or may not have been offered. Confident claims of what GC offered are most likely ficitonal.

Was leaked by 2 posters on EBnW that had repeatedly had the good oil at the time.

Was also leaked on here and iirc the news segments also had discussed it.

Regardless the fact is we demanded something and due to Beams refusing to deal with any team bar Brisbane we accepted less despite his contract and our position on it.

It’s only overs if Schultz doesn’t get back to his best Freo form.
But that improvement is highly likely.
Even on that it’s still way overs, at best he’s a good role playing pressure forward, you can quite often manufacture players into this role.
The role itself even if done perfectly still doesn’t justify the outlay. Would you pay the same for Darcy Byrne Jones? Who is arguably just as good in that role, and was manufactured into that position from Half back.

Was leaked by 2 posters on EBnW that had repeatedly had the good oil at the time.

Was also leaked on here and iirc the news segments also had discussed it.

Regardless the fact is we demanded something and due to Beams refusing to deal with any team bar Brisbane we accepted less despite his contract and our position on it.
Sure Beams was younger but had had injury issues and Petracca is much better so should be around the same. So let's find pick 5, pick 25 and throw in Parker - simple.

So a first rounder, a 2nd rounder and a fringe player.

No 2 x firsts which we originally wanted?

Beams was also 25 yo and in his prime injury free.
Brisbane didn’t have two firsts and future trading wasn’t available yet.
Our original demand was pick 5 and Aish.
Beams might have been younger, but Trac the far superior player. Beams also had only 1 year left on his deal so if we kept him we ran the risk of losing him for far less if we kept him. Melbourne don’t have that hanging over their heads.
At the end of the day a top 5 pick can early second plus a player was still an exceptionally good deal for Beams, and far more than Brisbane had originally offered us, which was pick 5 alone iirc.

Sure Beams was younger but had had injury issues and Petracca is much better so should be around the same. So let's find pick 5, pick 25 and throw in Parker - simple.

I would argue Beams best footy was near equal to Petracca. People underselling Beams best footy.

He was equal to Brisbanes L.Neale when he was in form.
Neale just much more injury free year on year.

I would argue Beams best footy was near equal to Petracca. People underselling Beams best footy.

He was equal to Brisbanes L.Neale when he was in form.
Neale just much more injury free year on year.

You might argue it, but I don't think you'd find many who'd agree with you.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back