List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of Edmund's reporting on Sports day (SEN) was that Petracca wants to go to a BIG Victorian (or was it purely Melbourne?) club.

Have to have elite facilities, resources, great leadership from the top down, etc.

Counts out the Saints, Bulldogs, North

Probably counts out Richmond just because of where they're at. Would they even chase him?

Leaves us, Carlton, Essendon (I assume) and probably Hawthorn. Not sure Geelong would be in the picture.
While less kms Dingley wouldn’t be much different to training at Casey fields.

Most likely someone putting 2 and 2 together similar to what is shown below and coming up with an answer of 4 5.

View attachment 2092809

Probably not a whole lot of substance to it beyond a musing similar to "dunno if I'd want to be making the trek to the back blocks of Crimebourne from my pad in Kew 4+ times a week if I were him".
And not to mention, Steven May is a dick. Have to hang out with him 4 days + per week.

I think it probably set the expectation for what they could get dealing with GW more than with Collingwood as a whole.
If we’re going in to trade week with Leppitsch in charge of list management as is rumoured, then I think clubs will be unlikely to expect a Wright type experience in negotiations.
I think the issue we have is that clubs know we're not going to keep a player who doesn't want to be with us (why would you) and they know we have a philosophy of if a bloke nominates you, the onus is on you to get the deal done - Hine went public with it when coppng flack for the Murray deal - every since we've paid top dollar for many of our trades.

The answer will be zero. The problem is the same people that scream about us stuffing up those trades are also the same wanting Hine to be moved on. They conveniently forget that keeping them is no guarantee of success and is still guesswork. As an FYI Georgiades the one that’s gone on to do something and SDK was the next pick in the 2019 draft.

Thank you for going out of your way and taking the time to answer this.

It would be nice to have SDK and Georgiades on our list at the moment, but I don't lose sleep over it and I'm pretty happy with how things have panned out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If we want him we need get creative.

I love this bloke but small forwards can be replaced.

Bobby Hill and Hawks 2nd to Freo for picks 9 and 16

9 and 16 to Dees for Trac.

Go and get Lynch for nothing.

Anyone thinking Hawthorn are looking to do a salary dump have it wrong. It has been reported Hawthorn have a ton of Salary cap and are looking for such deals for themselves.

Just looking at the lay of the land. We don’t have the draft capital to satisfy the dees, carlton don’t have the cap space without convincing someone to move, good luck with that, tigers are a basket case, dons are going nowhere, hawks are on the rise. Hawks might well Bradbury this.
Unless Carlton fire sale someone like Hewitt to us to free up cap space for Petracca...

Thank you for going out of your way and taking the time to answer this.

It would be nice to have SDK and Georgiades on our list at the moment, but I don't lose sleep over it and I'm pretty happy with how things have panned out.

We’d have only had access to one. Like you I think they’d be nice, but it’s completely reliant on our talent ID landing on either of them. For all we know we might have been keen on Philp who was the pick following SDK. The way I’d explain it is the opportunity cost because the players themselves aren’t moving the dial.

Edit: I completely forgot the “Naicos” deal 🤦‍♂️ that one stings because even though he didn’t have the year I thought he would Callaghan would look nice in a Pies jumper…

Last edited:
I think the issue we have is that clubs know we're not going to keep a player who doesn't want to be with us (why would you) and they know we have a philosophy of if a bloke nominates you, the onus is on you to get the deal done - Hine went public with it when coppng flack for the Murray deal - every since we've paid top dollar for many of our trades.
That was Hines philosophy though (and GW’s apparently).
Once again, a new list manager may come in with a slightly more ruthless philosophy.

Hopefully they put it to Harry and it pisses him off enough to look elsewhere, like us for example 👍
This is why the Shultz trade annoys me, you can’t “plan” for who’s available year to year, heads pop up wanting out that you can never foresee.
You got to have trade capital going into the off season.
200w.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d get behind it I just don’t think it’s realistic. If I’m Carlton he’s the last of that “gettable” group I’m allowing to leave. IMO, he’s their third best mid.

Hewitt is OOC next year and would justifiably want a decent number put in front of him asap, the scum have a lot of mouths to feed salary wise and he would be on comparatively low money, given his FA deal was reported to be $1.8mil over 4 years back in 2021.

Would easily be in our #1 midfield trio along with Nicky and Jordy and I'd have no problem bumping that number up by $200-250k per year over 3-4 years (ie. $650-700k) to reflect that status for a player of his quality at age 29 next year, especially if we're still in "win now" mode.

I personally think the Schultz trade will be proven a good decision. He can’t be judged on goals alone. His efforts off the ball, pressure, chasing and tackling help create turnovers.

Ginni was a front running show pony, Schultz is a much better fit for the culture Fly is building.

I have a feeling we will be saving some $ to have a red hot crack at the Bont next season. Perfect replacement for Pendles, contract at dogs ends in 25 and is an unrestricted free agent. With the deals they are locking away for Jamara, Naughton and Darcy, they may just run short of funds for the Bont.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s still their best player though.

No surprise Bucks rates flexibility over being a gun key forward.

McKay is still a very good key forward in his own right and his output suffers because he's got an even better one in Curnow standing next to him who naturally draws a lot of ball.

Kicked 58 goals as a 23yo in 2021 when Charlie was on the sidelines with injury.

Well, Sidey you’re a lawyer and obviously I respect your opinion here.
And I notice Kirby, another lawyer I believe, gave you a like …

But, from a medical viewpoint, I must confess I’m surprised.

He had several broken ribs on the L lower ribcage.

Every Dr would know that immediately underneath those potentially sharp edged spiked rib fractures lives the spleen and base of left lung.

The spleen is a big,’mushy’ vascular ie blood filled organ that not uncommonly is lacerated by fractured ribs.

And I’d if is, people can not rarely bleed out if the situation is not recognised.

The lungs if similarly pieced, can collapse ( called pneumothorax ) that can also be potentially fatal.

Fractured ribs are always extremely tender even if you are a tough footballer and all.

IF the treated Dr did not check pulse and blood pressure to get a read on possible bleeding, and / or, IF the Dr did not listen to the lungs and check the position of the trachea ( wind pipe that can deviate in a pneumothorax under tension ) then I would have thought that Christian would be well within his rights to engage a lawyer re medical
negligence.

By all accounts he did have a pneumothorax and did require blood transfusions due to massive blood loss from a badly lacerated spleen, coup do days in ICU … bottom line, there is zero doubt in my mind that this was a very near miss from a fatality.

No wonder he is mentally freaked out and his family are allegedly furious, had he had another whack to the rib area he may well have bled even more and could well have died - not exaggerating.
Many people have died exactly that way.

Whether he could have his contract annulled due to this ( or the threat of litigation) is not my area, but maybe legal opinion in light of the medical side of things as above, could be considered? Yes / No ??
I think you’ve offered the context that makes the claims Petracca is just another unhappy player whose Club has the upper hand in negotiations, a wholly simplistic argument.
We could be witnessing a seminal moment where egregious negligence, may force the AFL to side with the player against his own Club.

From there we are in uncharted waters as to how the AFL facilitates Petracca’s exit from Melb..

Surely GWS is a team needing to do a salary cap dump?

Their team is bursting with current and future stars. They have Nick Haynes running around in the VFL on more than $1 million per year and plenty of emerging mids like Peatling who could replace much higher wage players like Coniglio or Kelly.

And we have a good track record of fair, win-win trading with them.

Anyone thinking Hawthorn are looking to do a salary dump have it wrong. It has been reported Hawthorn have a ton of Salary cap and are looking for such deals for themselves.
Let’s see how much of their cap they have left when the pay Barrass and Battle’s wage.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back