List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder why they'd be asking for Harry. If you're going to start a rumour like that, you'd be choosing Charlie, wouldn't you?
Yes but Harry is the one that other clubs believe would be the more gettable of the two.

Maybe they will if they land both Battle and Barrass on big $$.

And they wouldn’t need Frost then.
Frost doesn’t work because in order to bring Barrass in Hawthorn will need to move their 1st.
Could we get our Ginnivan pick back perhaps?

Petracca is a must get, at 29 coming off a serious injury they can’t seriously be demanding more than a first rounder and some steak knives.
Nope, problem is when you pay overs for players like Shultz that sets a precedent as to what other clubs expect from you.
The expectation in what a club will pay depends on the club asking.
If Melbourne mention this how can you really argue?
This is what some don’t realise mishandling trades leaves to open to getting screwed on other trades.

Wonder why they'd be asking for Harry. If you're going to start a rumour like that, you'd be choosing Charlie, wouldn't you?
When Bucks was asked the question Who would you rather out of McKay or Curnow he would want McKay as he can play multiple positions ie. ruck.

Which would help Gawn.

Nope, problem is when you pay overs for players like Shultz that sets a precedent as to what other clubs expect from you.
This is what some don’t realise mishandling trades leaves to open to getting screwed on other trades.
There really cant be any "precedent" for trades when there are so many variables. Melbourne nearly killing him and our boys saving him by not hurting him might give us some leverage. :think:

Well that should have zero impact, what would hurt us more is screwing Melbourne on Grundy, they’ll probably want payback for that even though it’s their dumb fault. If something’s too good to be true, it likely is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally think the Schultz trade will be proven a good decision. He can’t be judged on goals alone. His efforts off the ball, pressure, chasing and tackling help create turnovers.

Ginni was a front running show pony, Schultz is a much better fit for the culture Fly is building.

I have a feeling we will be saving some $ to have a red hot crack at the Bont next season. Perfect replacement for Pendles, contract at dogs ends in 25 and is an unrestricted free agent. With the deals they are locking away for Jamara, Naughton and Darcy, they may just run short of funds for the Bont.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

As it stands neither party is actually being honest or up front about their intentions.
The fact that they’re trying to play it out behind closed doors is already alarming in itself
Alarm bells for who? The receiving club?

The same thing happened with Treloar and he turned out alright for the Bulldogs.

FMD, this has been done to death. Don't respect my opinion. I haven't practised law for over 20 years and even then, never went near that dirty little area known as personal injury. The thought of dealing with busted people, either as a plaintiff or defendant, makes my skin crawl. Kirby has the experience.

This is the type of set of events where people say, "oh yeah sue him. Negligence!" It ain't that easy. And this situation is a particularly difficult one for the "yeah, negligence" conclusion to get up.

Here are some questions for you.

1. You seem to be confidently stating a pneumothorax could/should have been detected intra-game when a player is super "activated"? That sounds at odds with other examples when symptoms seem to show up much later? But your contention is that this was missed?

2. We can assume that whatever testing the doc did/ didn't do, he allowed Trac to continue - how do we know that the further damage was sustained after the return to play? If the further damage was sustained after the return to play, what was it that the doctor didn't detect? Because to get to the point of medical negligence, we first need the negligent act and then we need damage arising because of that act.

So what was it that the doc missed? And what happened during the return to play which worsened petracca's condition?

Was that initial condition sufficient to stop him from returning to play?

You actually need a form of injury/worsening thereof suffered by the return to play.

What damage was sustained by the return to play? Was further damage sustained? That's the thing called causation. You need to prove the doc was negligent in allowing a return to play. And THEN you need to prove that negligent decision resulted in the damage.

That's really hard to prove.

But go ahead and have a crack.

The contractual obligation on the club is to provide a playing, training, work environment which is so far as possible free of risk to the player - obviously collisions with other players are unavoidable.

There is no automatic contractual right to termination if that obligation was breached.

In my experience, medical types are the last to jump to the conclusion of negligence based on limited knowledge. Find it odd that you seem to be taking a rather different approach.

Sorry in advance - don’t read - I’m just responding to Sideswipe!

Well I’m not sure how to multi quote sadly but in response …

1. Pneumothorax ( if large) can be very easy to hear and diagnose sometimes but nigh on impossible other times ( if small )
Clearly I have no idea how big or small in this case - but you’d expect a high index of suspicion assuming Christian was admitting -or otherwise demonstrating the degree of rib tenderness to pressing the area that would have inevitably been present in that very area.

Summary - yes- it was potentially reasonably missable.

2. N/a - We don’t know that further damage was done - and I don’t think that I implied it had, and I don’t think anyone thought or suggested further damage was done (Despite the commentators querying why Collingwood wasn’t targeting Petracca, they didn’t appear to at all)

( in fact, a club insider told me that the players were told he was in real trouble and to be careful of inflicting further injury - rightly or wrongly)

3. Who knows what was missed without being there. But the damage was done by a knee to the ribs whilst in play before he came off - so the damage was done prior to the examination.
That said, the bleeding would have taken time to fully develop.
As would the pneumothorax.

But not so the extreme tenderness from the rib fractures.

And that tenderness was in such a dangerous area ( exact location of the vulnerable mushy spleen) that a very high index of suspicion of potentially serious concern was fully warranted.

So yes, concern re the original condition should have prevented him from going back to play - that together with the issue that he could barely move at all!

I’m not sure whether you need to prove that a return to play resulted in a worsening - but I’d maintain he shouldn’t have been allowed to return at all.

I’m clearly satisfied the Drs did not know he had a ruptured spleen and pneumothorax because obviously no one would send him back with either of those.

But, I do think they should have been very aware that those injuries were a very high risk, with a rib injury in that area, so I would think that IF - I repeat if - the Drs did not perform a full assessment, eg checking blood pressure and lung sounds, then they could well be found be be potentially liable for mismanagement. He almost died and that’s what the family would definitely know, is no doubt why they’re so upset with the club.

Patients have successfully sued for things way less than this.

Yes, I very much doubt there’s a contractual ‘Out’ for Christian here, as you say, but you’d think the club would understand why he’s so unhappy, and may factor that in to any discussions.

Re your final comment, yes maybe I’m going in a bit strong, but I can 100% say that having been a footy club doc for 10-12 years myself, that it was a very foreseeable serious risk that he was allowed back on.

And like always, things are always much easier in hindsight for all concerned.
Things are very rarely black and white in most areas of medicine.

Alarm bells for who? The receiving club?

The same thing happened with Treloar and he turned out alright for the Bulldogs.
Treloar was as forced out due to salary cap.
Different circumstances here.

If Petracca wants out, he should make his position clear.

And Melbourne should then make their position clear if they’re willing to allow him to blow up the joint or move him on

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back